Airfix 1:72 De Havilland DH.82a Tiger Moth

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Just finished is the nice little Airfix Tiger Moth. It's a new(ish) tool, but still needs a bit of fettling to get it completed. The lower wing to fuselage needs a bit of work. Horizontal stabiliser to fuselage needs a bit of work. Engine housing to fuselage, you guessed it, needs a bit of work. Nothing too tricky and not beyond the abilities of an average modeller. Tamiya etc, it isn't.

After Barry W's MRP paint review https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/mrp-paint-detailed-review.28812/ I've been slowly investing in these paints. This is the first build I've completed using just MRP. Now, the bit that really impressed me is during the heat of the week just past, this paint behaved itself amazingly. On Thursday, our hottest day I was spraying the camo and never once suffered any tip drying. Funny thing is, the paint does dry quickly on the model, but not in the airbrush !
It dries so quickly, I was able to remove my blu tack masking almost immediately to check on my lines, if anything need re-painting, I just re-applied the blu tack and continued spraying. Brilliant stuff.

I was a bit lazy and didn't sand either the model or primer and this typical Airfix plastic texture does show through. A lesson learnt there, this paint is thin. That said, it covers well. I used grey primer, but did undercoat with white for the yellow areas. All then finished in Alclad matt varnish.
Weathering is very restrained. As a trainer, I doubt they got very dirty.

So, a nice little model, that does need a bit of work to finish, but worth it. I believe Mr Airfix is producing a 1:48. Sounds like another purchase will be on the cards for me.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That looks beautiful Colin , a superb looking build. I’ve seen a few of these new tool Airfix tiger moths and it’s a lovely kit . The paint looks excellent , yellow is always a bugger but you’ve got it spot on,cheers tony

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very nice model! Like the colors :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very nice build Colin. You're right that it still needs a bit of work even in the new tooling...still it was relief work for me in between complicated builds. Really enjoyable.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

I've been waiting all day to get home and view these pictures at a decent size, and I wasn't disappointed!

Cracking result Colin, looks very nice.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, that is a very neat and tidy build.
As usual, your rigging of these biplanes of yours is spot on. Such a model aircraft without is, well.......

Ron

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
What an absolute cracker, well done. A very impressive result.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m not all that fond of biplanes, but this is a very nice-looking model :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks everyone for having a look and all the comments.
I’m not all that fond of biplanes
That must make building WW1 aircraft a bit tricky !
You're right that it still needs a bit of work even in the new tooling
So true, but I doubt it will deter me from the new 1:48

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That must make building WW1 aircraft a bit tricky !
Oh, I don’t know …

300px-Fd8.jpg
610x250_Wings-of-Glory_MoraneSaulnierN.jpg

:smiling3:

But yeah, I think I’ve actually completed two biplane models in my life, one the Matchbox Supermarine Walrus 30+ years ago and the other, the Revell Spad XIII a few months back. I intend to finish the Matchbox Handley Page Heyford that I’ve mostly built ages ago — hopefully someday soon :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Oh, I don’t know …

View attachment 351818
View attachment 351819

:smiling3:

But yeah, I think I’ve actually completed two biplane models in my life, one the Matchbox Supermarine Walrus 30+ years ago and the other, the Revell Spad XIII a few months back. I intend to finish the Matchbox Handley Page Heyford that I’ve mostly built ages ago — hopefully someday soon :smiling3:
See, biplanes are great, two wings for the price of one !

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Colin another one I've missed. I love the detail the rigging looks great. How people build at this scale always amazes me. I haven't got the patients or the eye sight to even consider building one of these. A great build and one to be very proud of:thumb2:

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Colin another one I've missed. I love the detail the rigging looks great. How people build at this scale always amazes me. I haven't got the patients or the eye sight to even consider building one of these. A great build and one to be very proud of:thumb2:
Thanks Vaughan. Funny thing was, it was a pig to photograph. But I've just read how you do it on your Me 262 thread. Hopefully I'll get near your standard soon.