WWII German Uniform colours?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Can anyone tell me what Vallejo Model Colour paints to use for these guys? tried converting some of the paint numbers on the back but not all of them came up.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
*bump* :cheeseygrin:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Allyne, the only Model colour I have that might be of use is the German Field Grey VAL 70830. Looking at the uniforms it looks like this could well be the base overall colour.

You will probably have this colour in the model call out already.

If I come up with any more info I will let you know.......have you tried the colour chart on here?

Cheers,

Ron

A

andygh

It's almost impossible to give a single answer as like everything else during war time the colours varied so much from manufacturer to manufacturer, plus cloth weathers and fades so much

If you type "splinter camo smock" or "pea dot camo" into google images you'll see what I mean. You'll get a huge variation in colours

If I was pushed I'd use a couple of greens, 942 & 881 plus brown 983 for the splinter pattern

For the pea dot I'd try greens 827 and 968 plus the browns 872 and 876

Don't quote me on any of these, take a look for yourself and see what you think :goodluck:

M

Military.modeller80

Hi

A bit late for this post but might be of use to anyone finding it through a search.

If painting ww2 German uniform camo patterns using Vallejo paints, they do list some designed for this use, check out the various colours listed as German Camo ****** there are quite a few browns, greens, beige and orange that are worth a look if painting the likes of the pea dot and oak leaf patterns.

Paul

C

CDW

Nothing like pushing another website in every post eh?

there's a dedicated area on this forum for posting your links to NON commercial websites.

C

Conan

Does anyone use AK Interactive German field grey uniforms paint set, and if someone can tell me which colour to use where? Thanks in advance!

First Name
Ty
Here is an example of what Field Grey looks like

image.jpeg

Almost any shade of Vallejo Greens and greys can be used to mix and match the above colours. Vallejo does put out a box set to German Grey

vallejo-modelcolor-set-70181-german-field-grey-8-colors.jpg

Or they also have a camo set.

vallejo-acrylics-70179-panzer-aces-set-07-camo-uniforms-8-colors.jpg

If you want to paint German camo, I highly recommend Modelling Waffen-SS Figures by Calvin Tan. Step by step using Vallejo paints. He gives precise mix ratios to get the best results.

51hO57VtgTL__SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

First Name
Ty
Here's a couple of figures I did using Calvin Tan's methods

5-1.jpgIMG_4115_Clipped.jpgIMG_4133_Clipped.jpgIMG_4137_Clipped.JPGIMG_4146_Clipped.jpgIMG_4167_Clipped.jpgtk1.jpgtk3.jpg

Last edited:
C

Conan

Thanks Tyrel, I appreciate that, but I'm just start using AK's German field grey uniforms paint set so I thought if someone using that brand as well can help me with ration of colors for better results. Anyway thank you for your time. Eventually your post is helpful a lot!

J

Jens Andrée

There are conversion charts between most colours so it is possible to find what you need.
German field grey is like you saw on the photo in the previous post a whole range between dark grey to grey-green something...

Just mix up some grey paint and add a hint of green until you think it looks ok and you're sorted. That's my approach anyway! ;)

C

Conan

Hello people!
First I want to wish a happy New year to all of you, and then I want to show you few pictures of my first German infantry soldier that I'm working on right now, and see what you think about that?

Attachments

• IMG_20180101_192633.JPG
    IMG_20180101_192633.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20180101_192403.JPG
    IMG_20180101_192403.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 12