X-Wing

B

beav1013

Hello. Here is my attempt at the finemolds 1/72 scale X-wing. I didn't finish the base yet, have to figure out a clean way to just paint the "Star Wars" raised letters cleanly. But I'm done with the fighter. I also got the Y-Wing, TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor that I'll be doing over the coming months. Hopefully they come out good, looking forward to the Y-Wing. Thanks.

View attachment 18865

View attachment 18866

View attachment 18867

View attachment 18868

View attachment 18869

View attachment 18870

DSCN0656.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

DSCN0660.jpg

DSCN0661.jpg

DSCN0662.jpg

DSCN0663.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely superb and a cracking weathering job. Brings back many fond memories.

N

noble

Love the x wing fantastic job, i look forward to you finishing the y wing. I had one of these when i was younger.

B

beav1013

thanks. i saw something online that said they made the y-wing so that all the seem lines were hidden. that should be nice. we'll see how it turns out.

P

philphy

Great work looks really good, I'd like to make a start on a Millenium Falcon...

B

beav1013

thanks for the compliment. i plan on getting the falcon someday... that's going to be my ultimate test of skill. i just got the slave 1 (boba fett version). i can't decide if i'm ready to tackle that or keep doing others until i get my skills up for that. i also have a y wing and a tie interceptor still waiting to be built. i just finished a tie fighter but haven't finished the base yet. the finemolds models really are good quality and easy to put together. i recommend them if you ever see them.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I like that very much. You've managed to get the 'homely, lived-in' look just like it did in the film! This one wouldn't look out of place parked in the hangar next to the film models.

Gern

M

mike_manc

That is the best one i've seen.

Anyone know where i can get just a rebel pilot or something that looks like one that I can convert. I managed to find an AMT/ERTL X Wing kit from 1994, but no pilot was included.

Also can someone tell me the dimensions of the 1:72 scale x wing and 1:48 as I don't what scale mine is either.

Hope mine turns out half as good as this.

Last edited:
M

mike_manc

Mine is here...

X-Wing Fighter - Flight Display with accurate cockpit

Any suggestions where to get a 1:43 pilot.

M

m1ks

That is very nice, i'd like to see the Tie Interceptor, I built a model of one years ago when I was a kid and Star wars was on it's first go around, (around the time when Jedi was about to be launched in the cinema.

It was a simple model but don't recall the make. Always liked the look of it, that and the imperial shuttle Tydirium with it's folding wings

B

beav1013

Thanks for the comments guys.

Mike, according to hobbylink japan, the dimensions of the 1/72 are: Size/Weight: 29.0 x 19.0 x 5.0 cm / 290g. The dimensions of the 1/48 are Size/Weight: 34.5 x 19.2 x 9.0 cm / 630g.

Not sure where you could get a pilot specifically for an x-wing. you could try doing a conversion of a ww2 pilot, painting him in x-wing garb might be enough to make it look like a star wars pilot.

m1ks, I'm actually finishing up the tie interceptor right now. Hopefully get it done by the end of the weekend.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Jim

Have you not already completed the Y-wing or have you bought another? I've been meaning to ask you what colour you used for the Y-wing/X-wing. I was wary of making mine too dark and therefore sprayed the base colour white and then weathered it, but now I think it'a a bit too white.

1/72 Star Wars X-Wing - Scale Models Gallery

I've got the Y-wing, the Tie interceptor and Tie fighter yet to complete and wanted to tone down the colour scheme on the Y-wing.

Your help would be appreciated...

Cheers

Paul

B

beav1013

i only did the 1 y-wing, didn't buy another. for the color, all i did was use tamiya flat white and add tamiya neutral grey to the desired color. it's a pretty diluted mix, maybe 10 white to 1 grey. i wish i had made it a little less grey, but i'm not displeased with the color.

same thing for the x-wing, but in reverse, i just added white to neutral grey.

hope that helps. let me know if you need more info.

M

mike_manc

I've been looking for a pilot from maybe a Sabre or MiG 15, as they have helmets and still look more Star Warsy than modern pilots. But I don't want a whole model just the pilot.

Does anyone know of a place I where they have loads of spares going...spare.

There's nothing on ebay.

Last edited:
X

X-Wing Ace

Beav dude that is one beautiful X-Wing build, my congratulations!!

I have the finemolds yet to build, also, I have a few of the now aged snap fit AMT to build, but I'm hoping to do a modification on the cannon's, for some reason the mold does not show fully circular cannon bodies. I have just purchased the Tie fighter Finemolds so I'm looking forward to building that in the future.

Any problems with the build? Any thing I should be aware of?

S

Sky Raider

Brilliant work, even Lucas would be impressed, well done.

Andy

B

beav1013

thanks for the compliments guys. x-wing ace, the fine molds builds all were really excellent as far as construction went. all of the seam lines end up being hidden or are easily removed, and the fit is always almost spot on. the tie fighter and interceptor i've done went together really easily and look really good on their bases. i recommend doing any kind of washes that you do on the tie fighter before you put the whole thing together. when I did mine, i did the fuselage as one piece and the wings and solar panels on their own. i did that because i have the ship and "wings" done with a flat coat and the solar panels done with a gloss coat. the gloss really makes them stand out, and doing it separately really made them stand out. just be careful when you put it all together if you do it that way, you don't want any glue showing... but doing it that way was much easier when thinking of doing it all together and taping off what i wanted flat vs gloss.

pm me if you have any questions during your build, good luck.

X

X-Wing Ace

Thanks for the intel on the Tie build my friend, every bit of knowledge helps!