Xf2y-1 Sea Dart

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and gals,

Well, this morning I decided to build one of my really rare models. Its an old limited run strombecker model of the XF2Y-1 Sea Dart in 1:60th scale. This is Kit Number# 624 of 1000 produced. It only contained 12 pieces, but thats the way alot of older kits were, few pieces and not alot of detail.

Anyway, here she sits on my driveway:

imageproxy.php

imageproxy.php

imageproxy.php

imageproxy.php

imageproxy.php

A little history of the sea dart:

"The Convair XF2Y SeaDart water-based fighter was the result of a design contest initiated by the US Navy in 1948 for a supersonic interceptor seaplane. The goal of the contest was to develop a high-performance supersonic naval fighter aircraft which could operate in forward areas without the need for land bases. At that time, the Navy assumed that it would be impossible to operate high-performance supersonic jet aircraft from the decks of aircraft carriers. For this reason, the Navy actually stuck with lower-performance straight-winged carrier-based jet aircraft such as the F9F Panther and the F2H Banshee long after land-based air forces had switched over to higher-performance swept-winged fighter aircraft. The aircraft took off and landed on a pair of retractable hydro-skis that extended outward on oleo legs from recesses cut into the lower hull, one ski on each side of the hull. During takeoff, the skis were initially fully retracted into their wells. Then as power was applied and the leading edge of the ski broke the water at 9-11 mph, the skis were extended to an intermediate position until 45-55 mph was reached. The skis were then extended to their fully-extended position, and the aircraft accelerated to a takeoff speed of about 145 mph. The project was cancelled in december of 1953."

Thanks for looking have a good day all,

Greg aka GW

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Simply awaesome Geedub ! love the colourscheme as well.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Barry,

I wanted to thank you for the comment on the model. I was hesitant about building this model initially due to its rarity but decided if I didnt build it, it wasnt gonna get built lol. I go back to work tomorrow after 4 months off due to neck trouble and i am trying to knock out a few kits before tonight.

Anyway, Thanks again,

Greg

U

UncaBret

Nice! I always liked that plane! It would be really cool if you could put it on a base that looked like it was landing or taking off.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Bret,

Thanks for the comment and the idea :grinball2:. My only trouble is I have never dealt with any of the "plastic water" material you can purchase for diaromas. I have often thought about trying it, but usually end up buying yet another model lol.

Have you used the stuff and if so, can you recommend any particular brand that is "idiot-proof"?

And my next question would be, do you paint the base like water prior to pouring the "plastic water"? Or do I airbrush it afterwards?

Anyway, I really appreciate the comment and the suggestion, I will be going back to the hobby shops next saturday and might think abit more about trying the "plastic water".

Have a good day,

Greg

PS: I didnt realize til now that you were in the states lol I am always happy to see new members from the US.