y-strap webbing used by imperial german army 1916-17? - i just want to be sure

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hello everyone
i am stuck on a wwi german gear detail
i am using the rewell "WWI infantry 1914" as base but converting two figures. The figures build oob would be in full marching order with full gear on thier backs the straps for what i presume is the for the tornyster are pre - moulded and cannot be removed
my problem:
my two troopers are not marching anywhere but will be carrying basic gear for frontline duty one willbe converted to carrying an mg08 over the shoulder leaving his back bare with straps leading nowhere
iam wondering whether it would be period correct (1916-17) to add y- straps on the back?
despite looking high and low and finding some evidence for the use of this loadbearing system in the great war with many pics puporting to show this I am just not sure as the autencity of the original pics cannot be established

reenactment site selling what they call M 1910 uniform and gear:
three_figures_01_750x541.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’d say it’s safer to not add Y-straps. The original method was a leather waist belt with a three-pocket cartridge pouch on either side of the buckle, with the braces of the knapsack attaching to a ring behind the middle of the three pockets on each side. Without the knapsack, this would leave the pouches unsupported so troops began to use the canvas sling of the bread bag, hooking it to both sets of pouches and wearing it so it went up on one side of the chest, behind the neck, and then down on the other side of the chest. That is, no strap on the back.

Could be that Y-straps were used later on, but like I said, you’ll be safer without if you ask me.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks Jakko:thumb2:
...so troops began to use the canvas sling of the bread bag, hooking it to both sets of pouches and wearing it so it went up on one side of the chest, behind the neck, and then down on the other side of the chest. That is, no strap on the back..

I think I will do that looking at the figgies it looks like it could be done easily

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Hi Steven...as with most things to do with military equipment...if it was issued at some point u will find it worn by someone, somewhere....
image.jpeg
I would agree with Jakko though...doesn't seem to be a common item if not combined with full kit
Marty