Yakovlev Yak 28P-Soviet cold war interceptor

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all. Heres one i didnt think i'd ever complete, the Amodel 1/72 scale Yak 28P. This is a typical limited run kit from Amodel, unusual subject but terrible fit and flash and poorly moulded parts everywhere!! I originally started this about 2 years ago but after realising the extent of filling and cleaning up i had in store ,i just couldnt face it so it went back into the stash and very nearly ended up on e- bay. Trouble is , its one of my fave looking aircraft (very gerry anderson!!) and i really wanted a model of it ,so i plucked up the courage and started it again a few months ago.Needless top say it involved LOADS of cleaning up ,filler and re-scribing, but im quite happy with how it turned out. Heres the pics ,comments criticisms welcome , tony:vacat:

View attachment 39656

View attachment 39657

View attachment 39658

View attachment 39659

View attachment 39660

View attachment 39662

View attachment 39663

View attachment 39664

View attachment 39666

View attachment 39667

P1100205 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100193 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100194 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100195 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100196 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100197 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100198 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100199 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100203 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100204 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Tony yet another cracking build from you there is no sign of any of the problems you mentioned glad you didn't but it on ebay we would not have seen this great looking model a BIG 5 from me well done

B

Brickie

Looks superb - and as you say, it's very Gerry Anderson. Will you be doing the new Airfix Angel Interceptor next?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks guys, I didnt realise airfix were re-releasing the angel interceptor matt. I made it for my son about 15 years ago when thunderbirds and captain scarlet had a bit of a comeback (remember the blue peter tracy island build? I reckon Ron (spanner) could have made it 100 times better!!!LOL) I always thought it would look wicked in RAF or Soviet markings! :emo6: MMM, maybe a nice little 'what if?' cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautifully done as usual Tony! *****

I can certainly see why you like this and it makes me wonder if any of the 'mainstream' manufacturers have done a version - preferably 1/48 or bigger. If not, it's about time they did!

Gern

M

munkster

Really cool model and a lovely job by you - I *am* a sucker for a Soviet jet though :smiling:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Another cracking plane from the "yak face" stable.

Saw an Angel Interceptor on Ebay last night but can't remember how much if you interested.

Keep me reaching.

Tony.

B

Brickie

£5.95 + £1.95 p&p Airfix 1/72 Angel Interceptor Captain Scarlet New Model Kit A02026 02026 1 72 | eBay

That would look brilliant in some sort of what-if real world paint job, I agree. Maybe the US South-East Asia scheme, as it's got a bit of F-4 Phantom to it and is about contemporary with the actual show...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks matt, just as i was trying not to buy anymore kits,you go and plant this seed !!!!LOL!! i will seriously have to think about doing this though , after all! cheers tony

C

CDW

These Soviet jets are very "clean" looking aren't they!!

Think you captured it perfectly in the model ....

i'm eager to see this new RAF Angel Intercepter .... i mean ... you HAVE to build it now you've mentioned it don't you :smiling3: :smiling3:

A

AJay

Tony, this is an awesome build! Glad you decided to finish her. Your photos are nice and sharp, too! :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A bad kit it may have been, but there's no way of telling now you've shown it who's boss. I like the odd patch of slightly different paint, it goes a long way to breaking up the one colour scheme. a 5 * result.

So what was the NATO name for it ? 'Big nose' ??

Colin M.........

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tony, as the others have commented, you certainly have tamed the thing and very nice it looks too.

Well done.....

Re. Tracy Island. I would love to oblige.lol! But for my next go at buildings I might well be off to Zululand.....???

Cheers mate,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks guys. Colin , the nato reporting name was 'Firebar', in line with the 'F ' for fighters 'B' for bombers 'C' for cargo 'M' miscellaneous 'H' helicopters etc. ASCC naming procedure. These were further defined by the number of syllables , 1 denoting propellor powered .2 denoting jet power eg. 'Bear' -bomber prop powered, 'Badger'- bomber jet powered and so on. Hows that for infotainment !! cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Excellent work Tony as always, my first impressions as you say was very Gerry Andersonish. 5 Star from me too. Cheers Derek

B

beav1013

excellent job all around. i don't have any russian jets in my stash, maybe i'll have to add one. 5 stars.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Tony You have made a great example there.

I would leave the e-bay angels for a while, they will be out soonish. Could be a laugh for a mini GB What if Angles......

That Firebar looks half space ship half aircraft and I can see the Gerry Andersen in it as well.

Five stars from me too!

Ian M