Yaks 'Century Series' in 1/48 part 2 -F101b Voodoo

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well its been nearly a year since the first one (http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threa...1-the-na-f100d-super-sabre.26226/#post-323371 ) so heres the next instalment in the series . The Monogram kit of the McDonnell F101B Voodoo in 1/48. This is a lovely kit with great detail and builds ok with a bit of thought. Its OOB except for the Pitot (which i didnt intend replacing but broke the original off!) and the canopy jack (which was just wrong ) ,these both being replaced with Aluminium/brass tubing, all the other details are as per the kit , the ejector seats with moulded on belts and cockpit in particular coming up beautifully with careful painting. Its a big model when done and the family resemblance to the Phantom is plain to see, Ive pictured it next to the super sabre for comparison and theres a box top shot of the next subject -the F102 Delta Dagger. Thanks for looking , comments criticisms as always welcome, cheers tonyDSCN2368 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2368 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2369 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2366 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2367 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2351 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2352 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2353 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2355 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2356 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2357 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2358 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2362 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2363 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2364 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2365 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2370 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2371 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2372 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2373 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2374 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That is great. As you say, the detail is really good - look at those exhaust cans. A plain grey scheme, but plenty of colour from the markings - unlike todays low viz stuff. Very nice.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Great Scott!! ;)

Very nicely done, looking forward to seeing the Delta Dagger.:cool::cool:

J

John Rixon

Wow, wonderful job. When I was around 9 years old, we lived in the flight path of Bentwaters in Suffolk, and pairs of these 'planes flew over our house (low!) with regularity! Awesome beasts - bigger than you'd think! Really love your pain job!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build,Tone,real nice detail,neat,clean build,very well done,:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice build Tony .Another good monogram kit. I've yet to build one of their century series.Got the Revell boxing of the F105 in my stash though.
cheers dave , its a great kit and the f105 looks good too but its three builds in the future yet!

Wow, wonderful job. When I was around 9 years old, we lived in the flight path of Bentwaters in Suffolk, and pairs of these 'planes flew over our house (low!) with regularity! Awesome beasts - bigger than you'd think! Really love your pain job!
cheers John , yes they were a large aircraft at nearly 70 feet , bigger than a phantom . I tried something with the paint - after building the model and preserving/reinstating the raised details it was painted as normal then a coat of Klear ,decals ,then 2 coats of satin. After this had thoroughly dried (a few weeks) I got a very worn piece of 1200 sanding sponge (more like 4000grit) and rubbed the model all over . The paint was rubbed off on all the raised detail ,revealing the grey primer/grey plastic beneath highlighting only the panel lines . Im going to try this again on the p61 black widow ive got in progress but with silver as a basecoat. I also used my eyeshadow technique again on the exhaust cans and the bare metal under the tail.

That looks great Tony! Very clean paintwork & finish.
Must have needed a fair bit of weight in the nose! ;)
cheers patrick , yes i put a bit of weight in there but im not sure if it really needed it but better safe eh? unlike the p61 which had the entire nose filled with lead! Im just hoping the nose gear stands up to it!

Thanks everyone for the great comments, cheers tony:cool:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Cracking builds there Andy. I have both of em buried away in the stash somewhere as like yourself I love the older monogram kits(nostalgia) and if and when they see daylight I'll be well chuffed if they turn out anything like yours. Looking forward to the Dagger. Well done mate cheers John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well, that is simply fantastic Tony. Again you've achieved a great look on the burnt/heated metal sections with your eye shadow technique. The yellow surrounds on the canopy, are they decals or painted (or tape)? Very clean and tidy work, and it is a worthy addition to your 100 series builds.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well, that is simply fantastic Tony. Again you've achieved a great look on the burnt/heated metal sections with your eye shadow technique. The yellow surrounds on the canopy, are they decals or painted (or tape)? Very clean and tidy work, and it is a worthy addition to your 100 series builds.
Thanks Joe , yes the eye shadow is proving to be an easy workable technique, the yellow canopy seals were masked /painted , cheers tony