Yaks Civilian Aircraft GB , Airfix 1/144 Boeing 737-200 Britannia airways

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Love it Tony! The family pics, the detective work and obviously the model.
The masking job looks to be tricky and I'm guessing that silver paint takes a while to cure before you can (carefully) remove the masks.
Looking good

P
The vallejo metal colors are actually very hardwearing paul , they can stand careful masking even before theyve had the varnish coat put on . The top clear coat also doesnt affect the shine unlike vallejo model air metallics which dont like being masked and change sheen with a top coat. Id say these metal color paints are the nearest thing to alclad but in acrylic and hence dont have the smell or hot solvent base that alclad does, i really like them. Good job too as ive got quite a bit of masking to do yet !

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lots of variation in the bare metal on those Tony. Looking good so far.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres where im at with the boeing - the wings and engines /tailplanes have been finished in several different shades of silver and the masking is off the top.Its also had a nose job and im waiting till tomorrow to take the bandages off! next up is the decals. note the very early 737 undercarriage , no wonder it was a bumpy landing !DSCN2534 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2535 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2537 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2538 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking great Tony. I replied to your question in my thread re the APU. You'll need to add an exhaust on the rear of your 737.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
" note the very early 737 undercarriage , no wonder it was a bumpy landing !". Clearly not a Goodrich supplied LG then. Looking good.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well its started to get the decals on . Ive not put the tail decal on yet as ive noticed on photos theres a silver edge to the front of the fin, so ive got that to mask up and paint . I must say that the decals are absolutely superb , theyre by two six decals and are a delight to use - good colour density , tough , and perfect fitting. Ive also got the black anti glare panel on the nose to do and then i can get the windscreen surround decal on . Its not going to get amything though for at least a week as im off to cornwall on sunday for six days chilling! Lovely!

Attachments

• IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 9

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Ive not put the tail decal on yet as ive noticed on photos theres a silver edge to the front of the fin, so ive got that to mask up and paint
Looking great Tony, it's really coming to life now. Yes, the fin leading edge has the same silver finish as the wing and stabliser leading edges.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Windscreen decal on , silver leading edge to the fin done and tail decals on too. Ive got the undercarriage on too so its just last minute bits like nav lights ,aerials and the nose door and windscreen wiper decals to do now. I might make a base for it too and maybe even a converted /scratched tow /pusher truck. heres the pics , cheers tony (ps . thats not the runway at Manchester its the PSP from the black widow build I just used it as it was still in the photo box !)
DSCN2541 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2542 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
thats come out cracking!....nice to see something different

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking really nice. How about a tiny Tony at the window ? Oh yes, looking at you pictures - how many packets of fags you got, and that was going out !

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Tony, brilliant mate, love the finish you've achieved. Look forward to seeing the completed build with tug/base.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers guys , got the last few decals on today - the windscreen wipers and the ones on the nose gear doors. All thats left to complete is a couple of aerials , the wingtip nav lights to paint and the black on the nose to matt down . Then its onto the base and tug , which im hoping to cobble together from a 1/200 dragon c141 starlifter ive got in the stash. ?? I hear you say , well this kit has a couple of hummers to either put in the cargo bay or at the side of the model so im going to use one of these and try and make a tug and towbar i reckon the scale difference wont be apparent once ive butchered it!, cheers tony

Attachments

• IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 6

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking really nice. How about a tiny Tony at the window ? Oh yes, looking at you pictures - how many packets of fags you got, and that was going out !
Yes colin an unwitting fag mule ,they probably thought give them to the kids to carry, theyll not get stopped!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The aircraft is complete within the time frame but the base and tug are still ongoing. Ive got the Hummers from the C141 box and started to butcher one of them . Theyre 1/200 but in 1/144 they scale up to be about 5 feet wide which is a bit too narrow , I'll find a way of widening them and lengthening them. at least ive got the wheels ! cheers DSCN2544 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2545 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2548 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2549 [Desktop Resolution].JPG tony