Yaks Cold War build -Condor MiG 25P Foxbat in 1/72

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Tony
Looking very good. The panel lines look just about perfect now under that primer - restrained. But as you say any subsequent coats will fill them in more. I hear you with the rescribing I don't think it's many modellers favourite jobs!

What will the scheme be? Have you decided yet?
Cheers paul , there was only scheme on the soviet airforce interceptors - the light grey blue. I think a few of the elint and recon birds had the occasional camo scheme but mainly they were the grey. Cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The primer showed up a few areas that needed attention so they have been sorted and the areas misted over with primer again. its now had a coat of paint and is drying. I used model air 046 , which is RLM 76 which i feel gives a good representation of the colour. The panel lines are just visible but im not decided yet if im going to highlight them in any way. IMG_1231.JPGIMG_1232.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I tried the wash but I just couldnt get it to stay in a lot of the shallow panel lines plus the wash stained the paint in places so I cleaned it all off and re sprayed the whole thing! I dont know if im going to try again with the panel lines , after this second coat of paint theyre going to be even shallower! I thought about trying a sharpened 2H pencil to draw the lines but wondered if the silvery colour would look strange , anyone else ever tried this? cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think I would try the pin wash as well. Not that I've ever done it mind. Good luck.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I tried the wash but I just couldnt get it to stay in a lot of the shallow panel lines plus the wash stained the paint in places so I cleaned it all off and re sprayed the whole thing!

Glad it's not just me that happens to!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
IMG_1262.JPG IMG_1263.JPG Well its had the decals put on,the instructions not showing any stencil placements so its just a bit of guesswork after looking at plenty of photos!next is just a few panels to do in dark grey then its on to the undercarriage. Im still undecided if im going to try and highlight the panel lines- they are too inconsistent and so shallow in places its impossible to get the wash to stay. heres a few pics cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks great Tony.
I'm struck by how much aircraft there is too so little cockpit. The Foxbat has a sort of Thunderbirds styling to it or perhaps that should be the other way around.
I'm not sure you need the panel line wash. I suppose you could try the clay panel wash and if it doesn't work you can simply wipe it off?
Anyway, lovely looking Mig and really well put together (as always_.
Cheers
P

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
IMG_1264.JPG IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1270.JPG Bit more done on the foxbat. Ive painted the anti glare panel on the nose and the dielectric panels on the fins and ventral fins. The metal sections on the rear have also been done , brush painted with vallejo model air metallics gunmetal. If i dont bother with a panel wash then the next step is a final coat of varnish then its onto the undercarriage

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
IMG_1278.JPG IMG_1279.JPG Managed to get a wash to stay in the faint panel lines , and got a coat of matt on. Its also had the undercarriage fixed and all the knocky off bits apart from the pitot which is VERY delicate so thats going on at the very last. Theres just the last few bits now like the canopy seals , nav lights and maybe a bit of eye shadow round the exhaust area.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is looking great Tony. Can see how shallow those lines are from the photos, you did well to get a wash to stay in there.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You are certainly capturing the look of an impressive aircraft Tonly..... great work

T

Tony

That looks a fantastic model and you have built and painted a really wonderful example of the aircraft