Yep you guessed it another Tamiya Lancaster....lol

I

ian lanc

Well guys.

I started this June 17th 2010 and finished it September 1st 2010 not bad going to say all my building and work is carried out on a 'tea tray' onist.

Yet again its a wheels up version and i had to make it as a flying version because i brought this kit off ebay for buttons and had been started by another modeller

who completely ruined all the landing gear/prop's/clear parts with glue so i had to throw them away, i smashed out the two side windows and made some new clear windows because i couldn't paint the ruined windows nice, I added a few more detail parts to this model like spent bullet

chutes on the rear turret and armour plate, altered the frame work lines on the front turret, also added 'PropBlurs' to make it look as if it really is

flying. The stand is homemade.

The model is DX * A. LM624 of 57 sqd a Lancaster which flew from RAF East Kirkby now home to Just Jane Avro Lancaster.

Last edited:
I

ian lanc

I had to order all new clear parts for this model which cost more than the model and the model parts were covered in really bad glue marks,

some parts even fitted together as if a five year old had tried to build it, alot of fillering was needed and just check out the first three pictures !

Thats how the kit came to me no instructions / no decals / parts missing / i had to make my own interior as everything was covered in glue.

Thats all folks and thanks for looking....lol

ian.

M

m1ks

Lovely, I do like the Lancs, must get one.

I like the props, did you make them or order them?

Amazing isn't it how some people will get a relatively expensive model then butcher it, I guess in most cases it's the 'looks easy enough' principal.

I bought a Vincent Black Shadow model a while ago that was described as 'part assembled' and sounded better than the pigs ear it really was, talk about a glued together mess, added to which most of it was assembled leaving no way to paint the detail parts needed before assembly and some bits were broken to boot.

M

msm2

Superb workmanship and I just love them props. Got a He111 here just like that,may have to bin it.

Tony..

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's beautiful, incredible when you see what you started with. I've had a bit of an equivocal attitude to those propblurs but they look absolutely right on this.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My hearty congratulations and admiration Ian, for turning what was really a wreck into something very special.

Well done,

Ron

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Lovely, I do like the Lancs, must get one.I like the props, did you make them or order them?
The props are made in the U.S only but can be purchased direct from them and accept PayPal as payment, they are a reliable company.....

Home Page

cheers.

ian.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Ian,I've had one of these in my cupboard for a long time and maybe,just maybe ,I should get it built. I would like to know what you use for the black (night) underside. I have used various grey or red/black mixtures in the past but I like the look you've achieved at this scale.

Thanks

Steve

T

treyzx10r

nice job ,doing a kit someone else started is a real pain, nice work on the stand as well!!

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Hi Ian,I've had one of these in my cupboard for a long time and maybe,just maybe ,I should get it built. I would like to know what you use for the black (night) underside. I have used various grey or red/black mixtures in the past but I like the look you've achieved at this scale.Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve, Is your kit the old version ? If so the black plastic will become very brittle to cut and trim, all my old kits have gone like this :sobbing:

The colour i use and always have used is Humbrol 85 coal black with a dark weather wash of 'Pro-Modellers Weather Wash' lightly rubbed off then sealed with Vallejo clear matt.

ian.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hi Ian,I've had one of these in my cupboard for a long time and maybe,just maybe ,I should get it built. I would like to know what you use for the black (night) underside. I have used various grey or red/black mixtures in the past but I like the look you've achieved at this scale.Thanks

Steve
Steve! Night is Well of the red scale-- It black/prussian blue at around 10:1 Or you could just buy the on Xtracrylix do..... I know you like there paints.

So are you getting a bit hooks on the real air force? lol

Ian: This build is the epitemy of silk purse from a sows ear! Very well done. I actually like the way you have done the props, brought or not there just right! I must confess I want one as well, but a; no place to have it right now. b;plenty of stuff to do first! c, I'm skint!!!

IAn M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice Ian, love the PropBlurs just finish's her off. I must of known a Lancaster was going to be posted today lol, picked a great book up from "Works" in town this morning.

Have fun, John

View attachment 26387

DSCF6061.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

Another stunning Lanc from what, at first glance, looked like a pile of scrap plastic. Unbelievable modelling skills.

Kudos my friend, 5 stars

Paul

F

Fenlander

Looks gorgeous doesn't it. Is that Humbrol black enamel used for the underside? I am doing a Mossie in the same black and camo top. The look of the black you have used is spot on.

Edit.... Sorry, I should have read post 11 instead of gawping at the pictures......

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the info on your "night" colour Ian. I've still got an old tinlet of the Humbrol colour but don't spray enamels any more so I'll have to resort to another grey. Thankfully my kit in waiting is one of the new ones I bought on impulse when they first came out,most unlike me! I'm sure it will be okay.

"Steve! Night is Well of the red scale-- It black/prussian blue at around 10:1 Or you could just buy the on Xtracrylix do..... I know you like there paints."

That's true Ian but it looks awful on a model. I used the Xtracrylix night on the 1/72 lancaster I built as part of the BoB flight and just about got away with it as that particular Lancaster gleams like a new pin! Mixing a bit of red with a black doesn't really impart much redness,but does take the edge of the black. Some people add green or use NATO black (which is a very dark green) for the same reason. making a grey just by adding white sometimes makes it look a bit chalky. It's just a matter of preference really. I've nothing against the Xtracrylix Night colour,like the rest of their range it looks a good match for the real thing. I find that the darker the colour you apply,and black is about as dark as you can get, the more out of scale it appears.

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, love those props. You must have enough Lancs now to start WW3. Superb job especially with what you started with. Cheers Derek

R

roconnell

One of my most favorite war birds. I have returned to the hobby after many years and my one ambition is to have a go at one of these, in fact I have one boxed up but do not want to give it a go until I have had some practice on a few other models yet as I have returned from the hobby after my last model 23 years ago.

Amazing how you salvaged this one into a truly insperational model.

Rich