Yes an other one. Airfix Spitfire 1/48 with a twist.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some of you might recall me having a decal disaster during the Seafire I did not to many moons ago. Never being one to be beaten by a box of plastic, I brought anther one just for the decals and maybe to build the plane its self later. Well its later!

I found the Jan Zumbach decals from a Tamiya kit that I did a while ago so I thought Why not!

Minor problem is Zumbachs spit was a Vb airfix kit laying on the desk is a Vc. Never mind. If I dont tell any one they wont know :confused:

Actually the original Wing in the Airfix kit is in my eye prepared like a Vc. I'll let the experts correct me on this...

The Airfix pilot is naff and looks like a good gust of wind will blow him away, so I will be wedging the Tamiya Pilot in the seat. Had to cut his chute down a bit to get him in the seat. Oh and shave the radio under his right arm to get the fuselage halfs to meet up. Other than that... Piece of pie!

The detail in the Airfix cock-pit is shall we say minimal, with a heavy hand, but with the pilot in and the lid on, it will do.

Here are a few piccies for your entertainment.

Ian M

View attachment 24654

View attachment 24655

View attachment 24656

View attachment 24657

28062010592.jpg

28062010597.jpg

28062010593.jpg

28062010596.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The root of evil!

Spent most of last night trying to get the new wing to fit the old fuselage. Why Airfix chose to do it that way is beyond me!

There will be more filler needed to close this gap!

Right then. Having gotten some great assistance from you chaps, I put a new blade in the X-acto and cut all the controll surfaces free from their respective places.

The Aerilons have been refitted in (hopefully) a possition that would suggest a barrel roll, The tail elevators have been given a kick to shove the nose of the 'plane up, The rudder will be left foot down. Hopefully the result should be a Spitfire launching its self into afore mentioned Barrel roll. (hence the title of the thread: spitfire with a twist, a sneaky play on words as it also refered to a hotch botch of airfix meets Tamiya).

Cue Theuns to tell me its all wronge, LOL.

Ian M

PS anyone considering this kit; stock up on filler!!! The wing root IS the root of Evil!!!

View attachment 24689

View attachment 24690

View attachment 24691

View attachment 24692

View attachment 24693

View attachment 24694

30062010603.jpg

30062010599.jpg

30062010598.jpg

30062010600.jpg

30062010602.jpg

30062010601.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Buckets of White Squadren filler and halv a sheet of 800grit later. The wing is on, the filler smoth(ish) and things are starting to go the right way...

View attachment 16693

Just like to add that I have started to use Vallejo's ready mixed primmer. If you have not tried it yet, buy a bottle it is just perfect! Shake, pour, spray! Dries nice and flat too.

Comes in white, grey and black in 200ml squirt bottles.

So I guess its masking and camo next.

Ian M

View attachment 24767

01072010613.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still going at it!!!

Well I havent given it up, just been busy with other things.

Like painting this thing. The Spit in the photo is how it is now after three paint jobs.

First one; Picked up the wronge colour. Thought I had taken the required one. Painted it made a cuppa and come back and pulled the masking off. Erm..... Bum! The green was well off by about five tones!

So being an optimist, I filled up the air brush and sprayed it free hand. Bad idea. I could of done it better drunk with a blindfold on! :surprised:

So spant most of yesterday evening remasking!!! This resulted in the obvoius, you can see the old paint at the edges in places. so tomorrow, I will have to touch up the grey!!!

Isn't modeling fun....

Later;

Ian M

View attachment 24903

05072010620.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
keep at it ian youre winning! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right I'm done!

Post some piccies in Airplanes when I come home this afternoon!

Ian M

N

noble

Hi ian isn't it great when you beat somthing like this into submission it's looking good mate look forward to seeing the pics.

scott