Yet another Spitfire

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
really moving on with this one Steve. I have parents evening at school tonight so I doubt I will be able to get any modelling done again........ that is two evenings in a row lost :sad:
My build stalled last week - OFSTED !

Steve, great progress. Even though you're not using the engine, you might have to put the engine mounts in just to support the prop. They don't have to be neat, as you'll have your panels on to hide them.

Regards

Colin M........

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I may yet do that colin. There have been one or two issues along the way which have all been fairly easily solved and are no worse than I expected on an old kit This nose thing is something else. It's actually quite hard to get everything straight. I warmed it up and twisted it but eventually it went back to the wrong shape. I'm forced to bludgeon it into some kind of form that will allow the various parts to line up with glue,tape and a sense of humour failiure!

I've elected to fix one side,then the other followed by doing something at the nose to take the spinner. I'm not sure it will ever be quite straight.

Here's how it looks after an hour of fiddling and fettling.....far from perfect.

I take my hat off to you chaps who got this all to fit with the engine mounted. Graham (Fenlander) I shall be on the edge of my seat when you get to this bit.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I might be as well Steve lol. May not get much done now until the weekend.......

B

Bunkerbarge

I think this kit was made to challenge modellers. At least subsequent builders will be better warned of what to look out for with this kit.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I think this kit was made to challenge modellers.
What a devious mind you have Richard!

The only real problem I've had is with the nose. I've now forced it into something approaching the correct shape. It's not quite right but I've lost the will to do any more. I have done quite a lot of work to get it this far.

I've fitted the plate to take the spinner (no blades) at the front. I'm not fitting the engine bearers but will fit two bearer parts (107 and 108) modified to allow me to fit the top of the engine c/w exhausts after painting.

Cheers

Steve

Edit.Is it me or does the vertical fin lean to the left,as we're looking,at a rather jaunty angle? Don't worry about the horizontal stabiliser,that's not been fixed yet.

W

wanna_be_aviator

As a matter of fact it does, but It might very well be the barrel distortion caused by the camera. You know, when you take a close shot even from a slight angle and the straight lines seem to bend? On the other hand if you had that warpage problem in the lower cowling, who knows? (I have a Spitfire that I can swear that the vertical tail is leaning to one side even though I've measured 100 times!)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
And that wasn't very helpful by the way. Sorry.
No worries,actually you've confirmed my suspicion that it is infact not straight! Believe me I'm completely over it, although it will look worse if I set both stabilisers correct.

Cheers

Steve

F

Ferrets Bueller

Steve i think you have done a great job on this mate, and you have got that front end to line up well enough considering, you aint gonna get this perfect so just do the best you can.

Also just think Fenlander has got all this to come yet, maybe we should keep the samaritans phone number handy.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
maybe we should keep the samaritans phone number handy.
Thanks for the encouragement,I need it! I've just stuck the rudder on and of course its split horizontally. Why? I've got to fill that now,aswell as the bit of "coping" infront of the windscreen,the underside of the stabiliser/fuselage joints,around the radiators under the wings and a load of things I haven't noticed yet .... Aaaaaargh.

I've actually nearly finished a tube of Tamiya filler that was about 1/3 full having already been used on at least five previous models,probably more and got through a fair bit of MrSurfacer.

I'm really hoping to get the thing primed tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
All you need now Steve, is some prat to P.M. you with a mundane question about a Bf 109..........!!!!

SSh!

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Honestly Ron,the chance to do a bit of light reading in the Bf109E handbook was welcome relief.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Steve, I suspect, when you're finished, you will be really happy / satisfied with your result. If there is some strange equation stating something like "effort in = final result", it's going to be great.

Regards

Colin M......

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well I've used just about all of this.

But I've finally got the model primed. I can't say I'm 100% happy with it but then who ever is!

I'll try and get some camouflage on tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Nice work Steve. Your wing panels fit better than mine, got quite a gap around one of them. Look forward to seeing the paintwork. What are you using?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Those panels weren't too bad,I had to thin them a little bit I think.

Paint will be Xtracrylix RAF colours. I've done the underside in Medium Sea Grey this morning.

Hope to get the rest on by close of play tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks good Steve. I have a Zvezda Mk.IV awaiting my attention

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh that looks good.

Should look the beans once you have painted her.

Ian M

F

Ferrets Bueller

Looking good Steve, you have done a great job of filling and sanding those joins. Look forward to seeing it with some more paint on it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got the basic camo on, all done with Xtracrylix......the end is in sight!

Cheers

Steve