Young Miniatures 1/10 Mongol Warlord Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_2676.JPG

This will be my next project, Young Miniatures C14th Mongol Warlord.

Another great sculpt as one would expect from this manufacturer:

100_2678.JPG

Seven cleanly moulded resin parts, with a wire ring for the sword loop and another bit of wire that is a mystery at the moment. The looped objects are hair braids.

It will make a nice change from field grey and khaki.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
A nicely sculpted expression, the sort of look which make you cross the road, to get away from him.

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

I think it's meant to be Genghis himself. Should be fun to paint.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice detail,with him,
will look forward to seeing him ,under the brush,:smiling:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Very nice, you have nicely brought out the 'nastyness' of the sculpt

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Peter. I've done quite a bit of work on it since the picture above. Pics tomorrow.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice work on him,looks great,:thumb2:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looking forward to seeing your tinkering on, what already looks to be very well painted mongol head.

Very serious eyes, and great lips too.

Looks like you are still managing the heat well, and the paint is performing too.

Its been busy here with compulsory joint school before knee replacement surgery and a mysterious punctured car tyre, post car service!

No progress with anything for me!

I take it, all removals have been completed successfully, and teenager interaction saved the day?

Hope the weather is behaving and you have a good day with the paint

Regards

Steve H

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's a great start Peter, he really looks like a nasty piece of work.

D

Deleted member 6559

Monica - :thumb2:

Steve - I've done quite a bit more to the fcae. The thing about zenithal lighting is that it only really looks convincing from on angle. It's a question of holding one's nerve.

We've got one more car load of my daughter's stuff to take down to Lewes at the weekend. As she wants Dad to see her new place I've been seconded. Her baby is also due at any minute, so the situation is all a bit tense and weird. At the moment she wants to do it all alone - taxi to the maternity unit etc. She's an odd girl.

Good luck with all of your trials and tribulations. At least the cooler weather should help you cope.

Mick - Very many thanks. The expression is all in the eyebrows, otherwise he's a mild enough chap I feel.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, very nice head and as nasty as it should be. I agree with the eyebrow expression...:smiling6: I run into these type of blokes at the local wet market butchering pork. It's wierd when they converse politely with the old aunties and then turn to you and growl "what do you want" and I go quickly "a kilo of ribs and a kilo of lean meat please"..."ehh...and chopped in cubes"...bam bam bamm and slice slice slice and I'm out of there. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Blimey, fancy running into Mongol warlords at the local market, and armed with cleavers!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
:tears-of-joy: Chinese possibly descendents from ancient Mongol empire. Lucky me being half Chinese I speak a bit of the lingo.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - :thumb2:

The results of today's session:

100_2696.JPG

I'm having a bit of trouble with the photos today as it's so dark. Apologies. I decided to paint the armour bronze in order to match the warm tones of the face.

Just the sword and braids to do now:

100_2687.JPG

D

Deleted member 6559

I decided to get on and finish the thing:

100_2703.JPG100_2711.JPG100_2712.JPG100_2708.JPG

A nice one to do, though ultimately I was a bit disappointed with the level of finish, particularly the lamellar armour which had a lot of debris sticking to it, which I hadn't noticed before painting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another wonderful bust. Sorry to hear about the finish. If only we could work in a vacuum. I heard once that working in the bathroom reduces micro debris. Cant see my bench in there somehow:smiling5:

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Steve.

It was the resin itself that was messy - the armour had not been finished off as well as it could have been, and although I'd sanded and scalpeled it, the paint showed it up to be rougher than I'd thought.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter, I think the gold/brinze armour is a much better colour than the steel of the box art. A nice looking bust.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Still looks great Peter, despite your misgivings. I don’t know what you have up next, ever thought about doing tartan? I don’t recall seeing you tackle anything kilted?
Cheers
Tim