Young Miniatures Gladiator Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks chaps - he's nearly there. Not sure if I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this one, but it's all part of the learning experience.

Richard - must be a real pain having to get your shirt off to pose all the time!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Cracking work, he does look the part of a grizzled gladiator.

The helmet will be a super addition to the bust, all the better for being off the head.

Feels like a much fresher mini heatwave this time Peter.

I guess your paint is better behaved this time?

Have a good day

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Cold and misty here this morning, so the paint should flow well.

I'm not sure where to mount the helmet as I don't really want to cover the flesh work. My preferred place would have been under the right arm, but there it would cover a crucial bit of shading, so I might just have it hovering lower down.

D

Deleted member 6559

Exactam eam!

100_2871.JPG100_2873.JPG100_2874.JPG100_2875.JPG100_2876.JPG

The last part was the painting and fixing of the helmet. This had a lovely planished texture which responded well to drybrushing. I used various mixes of Vallejo Silver and Matt Black over a black base, getting lighter as I went along and finishing with pure silver. The decorations were put in with Old Gold, then the lines and shadows drawn in with matt black.

I didn't want to cover too much of the flesh detail as I felt it should stay on view to balance the figure, so I set the helmet fairly low down, though hopefully it still gives the impression that he's carrying it.

I found this one a real challenge. The large expanses of flesh were difficult and I wish that I'd been able to vary the tones more, but a lot was learned along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Outstanding Peter.The flesh tones are amazing and the helmet tones all add to the piece as a whole.
Another gem for the cabinet.
Richard.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Stunning stuff. Something rather different and yet the results are superb as always.
Jim

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Excellent finish Peter

Love the additional scars, the brand picked out on the upper arm and the metal work is super.

You should send some photos to the web site, they are an excellent showcase for a super sculpt.

What next?

Have a good day with your next project

regards

Steve H

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I must say Peter the flesh work on this one is up there with the best of your work. The tones, stubble areas and scars look superb.

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks chaps.

A simple 1/16 plastic figure next....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Absolutely stunning! Another PDiddy bust spectacular. What is there not to like. It is a real gem which is up there with your other top busts:thumb2:

As soon as I saw the Latin phrase, "ROMANES EUNT DOMUS" popped straight into my head. One of their all time great sketches:smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

''It says Romans go home.'' ''No it doesn't. Romanes they go the house?'' Have to agree Steve - brilliant.

Glad you like this chap.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its never to early for a bit of Python

Centurion: But "Romans, go home!" is an order, so you must use the ...?
Brian: The ... imperative.
Centurion: Which is?
Brian: Um, oh, oh, "I", "I"!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Wonderful work Peter. Your painting has always been superb in my eyes but I can see some definite improvement on your blending here....ultra realistic!
Really impressed:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Outstanding Peter.The flesh tones are amazing and the helmet tones all add to the piece as a whole.
Another gem for the cabinet.
Richard.
Richard.
I think Peter has done us proud. :hungry:

Peter sorry for the intrusion into your blog.
Great finish, watching your work over the last 3 years has been a pleasure.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Si - I do wish I'd been bolder with the shading on the flesh, but other than that I'm fairly happy with it.

John - Thank you.