ZULU! The Store House, Rorke's Drift.... January 1879

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
On the 22nd. to early 23rd. January at Rorke's Drift, 150 British and Colonial troops held out against an estimated 4000 Zulu warriors. 11 V.C.'s were awarded for the day's action.

It was my initial intention to make a diorama of the whole mission station, but to include the hospital would have required a large area, even at 1/72. So I decided to concentrate on just the last stage of the battle, which took place around the Store house area after the Hospital and Kraal were abandoned by the defenders.

The main Zulu attack looped around from the North to attack the Hospital. After this was over-run, the main force then attacked the biscuit box wall, whilst other smaller elements attacked the Kraal and remaining defences.

I've shown the biggest concentration of Zulus at the biscuit box wall, which they have succeeded in partly breaching. I could have added more Zulus, but I think the amount shown gives a fair idea what the defenders were up against.......

A quick thanks to all who contributed tips, ideas and suggestions. Particularily Dave, Monica, and Theuns. And a big thanks to Patrick for bringing to my notice the Ravioli 'bags'!

Here are a few of the pictures sorted from a rather large collection.....

View attachment 122210

View attachment 122211

View attachment 122213

View attachment 122214

View attachment 122215

View attachment 122216

View attachment 122217

View attachment 122218

View attachment 122219

View attachment 122220

View attachment 122221

View attachment 122222

View attachment 122223

View attachment 122224

View attachment 122225

View attachment 122226

That's it. I trust I haven't 'Zulu Overloaded' you with too many pictures. I've tried to filter enough to give my mates on here an idea of the model.

I hope you like this offering, and all comments and questions good, bad or frankly physically impossible are welcome....

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 122212

rorkes drift 162.jpg

rorkes drift 165.jpg

rorkes drift 140.jpg

rorkes drift 170.jpg

rorkes drift 166.jpg

rorkes drift 169.jpg

rorkes drift 138.jpg

rorkes drift 164.jpg

rorkes drift 111.jpg

rorkes drift 168.jpg

rorkes drift 112.jpg

rorkes drift 140.jpg

rorkes drift 190.jpg

rorkes drift 154.jpg

rorkes drift 159.jpg

rorkes drift 123.jpg

rorkes drift 149.jpg

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ron,

Yet again another piece of mastery from yourself, excellent work mate, top show piece!

Lee :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Masterly Ron, amazing work. Just one thing...you sure you have enough figures?

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Fantastic utterly stupendous and mind boggling to the eyes to say the least. I love this film watched it 100s times and never get bored of the sheer heroism involved.

Ok I have a few questions

Where did you get all those Zulu from, the 24th foot where did you get them from and by rage way blooming fantastic painting of everything from the sandbags ( ravioli bags to the fear in the faces of the soldiers on both sides. I had to keep looking back at the pictures and will countless more times but I even like how in some you can actually see the fur covered black and white shields

Where is Stanley Baker and which one is MIchael Caine !!!!!!

I have to say it's brilliant utter sheer brilliance

5 stars from me :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

A

andyrobs

Ron, that is amazing mate, the amount of detail is out of this world!!!!

Cheers Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is an absolutely wonderful diorama which does exactly what the best dioramas do, tell the story of an event, in this case capturing the drama of the event itself.

Brilliant!

Cheers

Steve

J

John Rixon

Fantastic work, as Steve says, the narrative element in this dio is first class, and it captures the chaos of the event perfectly. Big gong from me - id give you two if they'd let me:smiling3:

J

John Rixon

And on a side note....

Does anyone remember the Silk Cut Cinema ad from the 70s that was based on this event? Possibly the most offensive thing since the Black & White minstrels (apologies to anybody who had erased this awful era from their minds!!!).

oh, is that my coat there?.....

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
stunning superb work Ron,

the house,sand bags fences,the whole layout is just fantastic,

to paint that meany figures oh wow,top job on all counts,amazing work :D

B

Benhur

Great stuff. I love the film. Taking time to do all these figures ... you have my admiration.

C

Caledonia

A touch of obsessive compulsive disorder here I think Ron, when does your therapy start. Seriously tho' unbelievably detailed work, beats me how you can paint all those figures, PE will be a stroll in the park after that. Great work. Derek

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Ron I admire your patience perseverance and hard work in bringing us the pleasure of this fantastic Diorama.

Well done mate but can you name them all for us?

Cheers John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Does anyone remember the Silk Cut Cinema ad from the 70s that was based on this event? ..
Sadly I do. One tries to erase such awful nonsense from the old memory banks but even once erased it still lurks deep in the workings of the machine, ready to spring back into the light at the slightest persuasion....I blame Ron :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Sadly I do. One tries to erase such awful nonsense from the old memory banks but even once erased it still lurks deep in the workings of the machine, ready to spring back into the light at the slightest persuasion....I blame Ron :smiling3:
Cheers

Steve
Yep, do remember, terrible advert.

D

dubster72

Now that's what I call a diorama Ron! The sheer effort that's gone into this would have defeated most mortals, let alone adding all the superb painting & construction.

Brilliant stuff!

P

Plastickitbasher

Outstanding work, big kudos Ron, for painting all those small figures that's some dedication.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ron now that's amazing that dio has everything that's all i can say well done

D

Deleted member 4203

Fantastically detailed Ron. The figures are positioned perfectly to show the defence line and the close combat. :D ;) How long did it take to paint all those figures? :confused: :D :smiling3:

Last edited:
R

Richy C

Fantastic Ron , would not look out of place in a museum .

Richy