Zvezda 1/144 Tupolev TU 160 Blackjack under construction

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres the excellent Zvezda Tu 160 Blackjack , I picked this up for about £14 at cosford. Ive been after one for a while and though i'd love the trumpeter 1/72 ,its a bit big and pricey (3 ft long and £90!!) so opted for the 1/144 . Its still a good size in this scale being 15" long with a 15 1/2" span at fully spread. The kit comes with a well detailed cockpit for 1/144 ,although not a lot will be seen once the fuselage is together and canopy on , so i havent worried about belts on the seats etc. just giving it a basic paint job. From what ive encountered so far it looks like its going to be a nice build , the fit of the parts is very good . heres the cockpit pics ,cheers tony

View attachment 66851

View attachment 66852

View attachment 66853

View attachment 66854

P1110799 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110803 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110804 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110805 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That must be a big bugger in real life......... Good start.

Peter

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Currently the largest combat aircraft in the world peter , longer and wider than a B52 , and quite a bit heavier too. I think there was only the XB 70 valkyrie and the B36 peacemaker that were heavier/ larger.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Comrade nice choice of aircraft and good work on the pit I will watch this with interest :goodluck:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looks nice so far Tony.

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Prepare lots of display space Tony. Looking forward to more progress soon.

C

Caledonia

You've picked a beautiful aircraft to aim your talents at Tony. Look forward to seeing the finished model. Cheers Derek

p.s. Just in case you hav'nt come across this website, some nice useful pictures http://www.flankerman.fsnet.co.uk/tu-160.html

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I find some russian aircraft can look a bit 'odd' but this looks so sleek, it could be a western design. Nice choice of model Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Not a lot of progress due to the unseasonal (ie. good) weather weve been having lately . Heres where I am at the mo, the wings on the kit dont pivot as on some other kits but instead you have to decide which degree of sweep you want to depict , fully spread,fully back or in between. Ive opted for the middle setting so have glued the wings and now I can get the fuselage together and get things moving. cheers tony

View attachment 67553

P1110814 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fuselage all together ready for the joints to be seen to, and the engine nacelles and intakes have been assembled. This kit has the option of having the bomb bays open and comes with a fully detailed interior plus 6 cruise missiles on their carriers. I'm not going to have these open as i like to see the clean lines of something as great looking as this , so these will be glued shut . So far the fit and finish of this kit has been excellent , i'm really enjoying it. cheers tony

View attachment 67606

View attachment 67607

View attachment 67608

View attachment 67609

View attachment 67610

View attachment 67611

P1110822 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110823 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110824 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110825 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110821 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110826 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Joints sanded , engine nacelles and intakes glued its starting to look like a blackjack (or as dave rightly says ,a B1 ) One of the jobs im not looking forward to is the wheels , not only is there 6 each side on the main gears but Zvezda have decided to do them all in 2 halves!! Lots of tyre seams to clean up ,not to mention the painting!

View attachment 67667

View attachment 67668

P1110832 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110835 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

B

backonthecase

Looking good Tony,

This would be a ceiling hanger for me - not only cos of the size but the f******* wheels!!!! I hate 2 piece wheels at the best of the times!!!

Stuart

Z

Ziper_it

It's coming out nice.

Looks like a lot of work with those wheels :smiling3:

Francesco

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Your Blackjack is looking good Tony, best of luck with those wheel seams.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Work has been progressing quite slowly due to me wanting to get the tiger meet puma finished but I'm back on it now. The (many) wheels have been painted , what a pain in the eyeballs that was ! and ive partly assembled and sprayed the undercarriage legs. The front leg is made up from about 7 pieces (not including the 2 wheels!)and looks very nicely detailed. The body has had its first coat of white and I'm just checking now for anything that needs sorting before the second coat , it really lives up to its russian nickname of 'white swan' doesnt it. here are a few pics , spot the not so deliberate mistake - theres only 11 main wheels! after i had took the pictures i just happened to find an unpainted wheel in the corner of the box -DOH!! cheers tony

View attachment 69010

View attachment 69011

View attachment 69012

View attachment 69013

P1110861 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110918 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110919 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110920 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Ziper_it

What scale is the chair? 1:1??!!!

Wow, that plane is really huge considering the scale.

I was waiting for this update, great work!

Francesco

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just had one of those forehead slapping moments , looking at reference pics to see where the natural metal area starts on the engine nacelles , and I see the wheels are in fact silver NOT green! Just goes to show the importance of good reference and not trusting the instructions blindly . The instructions said green for the wheels and show the natural metal area on the engines to be a lot bigger than in photographs of the actual aircraft . The funny thing is , Zvezda are a russian company so you would have thought their info was accurate ?! Anyway , all wheels are now silver , just need to do the tyres again ! tony