Zvezda 1/144 Tupolev TU 160 Blackjack under construction

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I actually rather like the shape of that. very sleek. It puts me in mind of the Bone, which I guess is its counterpart.

Love to see them together...

You are doing a great job and I look forward to seeing her in paint.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers Ian , yes its almost identical in layout to the B1 but about 1 1/2 times the size . As for the paint , this is just about it, a further coat of white then the metallic areas and maybe a pale panel wash to break up the monotone colour . The trouble with weathering in this scale is its too easy to overdo it , maybe just a pale grey wash? cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It seems strange how loads of new planes were 'Swing wings' but then all of a sudden, they weren't so popular. Looking nice Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Modern wing shape development means designers aren't required to use complicated, expensive and heavy variable wing mechanisms any more to create aerofoils that are effective at both supersonic and subsonic operation. In the age of stealth a bulky frontal area is not desirable. Nice work Tony, I didn't realise the Blackjack was larger than the B-1.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Paintwork nearly done , just a few panels to pick out in different colours and a wash. The undercarriage is done (but excuse the dust on the pics , believe me it wont be there on the finished article!) and looks quite nice. I have put the undercarriage on and discovered a schoolboy error - i forgot to put in any nose weight!!! result , the nose wheel just lifts off the ground a mm or two , the multi wheel bogies stopping it totally sitting on its a**e ! After trying in vain to kick my own a**e, i racked my tiny brains and came up with the idea of making the front u/c doors out of sheet lead . They are featureless and straight , and the kit ones are about the same thickness as the lead sheet so it should work. heres some pics , cheers tony

View attachment 69902

View attachment 69903

View attachment 69904

View attachment 69905

View attachment 69906

View attachment 69907

View attachment 69908

P1110941 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110942 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110943 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110944 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110945 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110946 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110947 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks francesco , the oleo pistons were done with Revell aqua colour aluminium , thinned slightly with water, it gives a nice shiny finish , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
BIGGER than a Bone. Dude!

Sorry about the paint comment, I did not realise it was painted white.

I would think a pale grey wash would do it. I Imagine that she would of been kept quite clean. A 'plane that size would carry a lot of extra weight if it got to dirty...

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That landing gear looks fiddly, rather you than me. Nicely done Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
BIGGER than a Bone. Dude!Sorry about the paint comment, I did not realise it was painted white.

I would think a pale grey wash would do it. I Imagine that she would of been kept quite clean. A 'plane that size would carry a lot of extra weight if it got to dirty...

Ian M
Cheers Ian , a grey wash is what its getting, ive been at it for a day now and its proving a real pain . The panel lines are quite faint in places so its a job to get it to stay in , plus theres a danger of making it look too exaggerated. The white finish in this scale is difficult - too clean and it looks artificial , too dirty and it looks overdone and unrealistic. I'm still battling with it, ive applied and removed the wash about 10 times!!!! cheers tony

Z

Ziper_it

Hi Tony,

Do you think you can take some picture of the washing process?

Would be interesting to see both for the color and the size.

Francesco, still learning

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well peeps its finally finished , after a real battle with the panel wash ! I applied and removed the wash about 20 times in total , i just couldnt get the right look , either it was too heavy and looked like a technical drawing or i rubbed it off completely. Eventually I was happy with it so off came the canopy masks and it was done. Heres a few pics to finish off the thread , i'll put the full set on a seperate 'completed thread , "Spasiba" for following , cheers tony

View attachment 70651

View attachment 70652

P1110954 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110962 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Z

Ziper_it

Excellent build.

Size is surely impressive.

I like the effect of cabin glasse., One question: are the cabin window molded in the fuselage and just painted?

Francesco

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks francesco , the windows are a clear part , cheers tony

K

Kressy_13

This looks awesome mate. Nice work on the panel lines, all the effort was worth the final look. A very nice sleek looking aircraft.

Cheers

Kressy

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice build indeed Tony, looks superb.

Si:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks Kresten , Si ,if you want to see more there are better pics on the thread in 'completed aircraft' , Cheers guys tony