Zvezda 1/48 Bf109 F4

T

TonyBv9

My first attempt at 1/48 and first experience of Zvezda. I've read some good things about this one, so here goes. It has 5 sprues with over 200 parts for various configurations and other variants. The pilot figure looks great - he has the shoulder straps moulded onto him so they contact the seat behind. I've got some decals to do a tropical version - the correct filter is in the kit.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 25

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looks interesting Tony, how much did you pay for the zvezda kit if you dont mind me asking?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A moulded harness that makes contact with the seat. Brilliant. Other manufacturers, pay attention.

T

TonyBv9

Some progress on this, it's starting to look like a plane now. My God, it's fiddly. The fit of many parts is dependent on others, so you can't skip ahead too much with assemblies. The bit I'm dreading is the engine and cowling:IMG_2283.JPG
There's not much to keep it all in place while it sets, and dry fitting is impossible because the engine won't stay in position.
The moulded harness on the pilot is a good idea. He's well moulded so his hands rest on the stick and the throttle. There are different seats for with/without pilot, but no harnesses or harness decals. His flightsuit looks more yellow in the photo. From what I could find the fighter pilots in Africa wore a combination of Luftwaffe and Afrika Korps kit, so he's sporting a desert yellow suit.
Little of the cockpit will be seen, so I didn't do much there. Two IPs are offered; a flat one for a decal and a moulded one.
IMG_2284.JPG
The wing assy. is rather flat, so it has to be bent up to the fuse' to get the dihedral and to eliminate a wing root gap. I still needed a tiny bit of filler.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tony,
That's looking good so far, at that price it was a bargain
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tony
Coming on well, I’ll follow on if you don’t mind..
Cheers
Tim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Zvezda 1/48 Aircraft are NOT for the beginner, purely because of the number of parts! 435 bits for the Pe-2 - I would advise you to check to see if details will be visible on the finished model. I spent a lot of time on the engine firewalls of the Pe-2
Zvezda 1-48 Pe-2.jpg
Very difficult to get all the bits in, and you can't see b****r all! There is a full interior - again, you can't see it!.
The Zvezda La-5N is similarly complicated ( 110 parts )- At least leaving off the cowlings, you can see the engine.
Zvezda 1-48 La-5FN.jpg
There are fuselage frames - all invisible!
If you like a complicated build, loads of bits for your money, then try the Zvezda 1/48 range, just don't expect a Tamiya build!
Dave

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Tony. All that detail will be worth it in the end, if we can't see it on the completed model then you'll know it's there

T

TonyBv9

The Zvezda 1/48 Aircraft are NOT for the beginner, purely because of the number of parts! 435 bits for the Pe-2 - I would advise you to check to see if details will be visible on the finished model. I spent a lot of time on the engine firewalls of the Pe-2

Very difficult to get all the bits in, and you can't see b****r all! There is a full interior - again, you can't see it!.
The Zvezda La-5N is similarly complicated ( 110 parts )- At least leaving off the cowlings, you can see the engine.

There are fuselage frames - all invisible!
If you like a complicated build, loads of bits for your money, then try the Zvezda 1/48 range, just don't expect a Tamiya build!
Dave
Thanks Dave. I have left out lots of bits. I wish there was a simpler way to fit the cowlings if they are to be posed shut. There are two tiny D shaped locators for the engine and a total of four cowlings to marry up to it, so if the engine fit isn't spot on, you have issues.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tony
Looks a very detailed kit with some thoughtful moulding. Only trouble is detailed = many parts = fiddly construction = much bad language :sad:
Jim