1/144 Military vehicles

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Hello,
I would like to introduce you to a new project.
My crafting area is under the roof and it is unbearably hot there at the moment. I tried to use the kitchen table, but that is very impractical. You need a lot of things to build a 1/72 model like this. And I don't feel like putting everything there for a few minutes of crafting, only to put it away again.
So I looked for a mini project that I could basically build out of a box on the kitchen table and that doesn't require 100 different tools etc.
And because I just love building, painting and collecting military vehicles, I'm going to get a few mini vehicles in the wargaming style.
I chose 1/144 as the scale. That is big enough that I can still paint details and recognize the different vehicle variants. That's something I find difficult with smaller scales. I also have access to a very large collection of 3D files that can be scaled to 1/144 and still look good. The other more common scales (1/100, 1/72, 1/56) are too big to finish lots of vehicles quickly.
I'm not actually really a wargamer - I do have a few books on the subject because I've always found it fascinating, but I live in the middle of nowhere and simply don't have any playmates. Maybe I'll manage to get my children interested in it at some point. So at the moment, the playability of the models or troop lists are not a criterion, so I can build across all eras and nations - just as I feel like it.
Here in this thread I'd like to show you some progress, maybe explain a few things or just get some new motivation. I hope you like mini models and that the whole thing doesn't get too boring for you.
Best regards,
Andreas

For the start a few Victrix Mini-Tanks that I purchased.
IMG_20240627_104244.jpg

And a few 3d printed Swedish vehicles (from the 1980's and brand new "Mjölners".
IMG_20240629_120918.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cool. I built a number of Dragon 1:144 scale models about ten, fifteen years ago, and still think they’re an interesting thing to be building, so it’ll be fun to see what you make of these.

BTW, if you want a big 1:144 scale model to go with them, Trumpeter has an LCAC in this scale :smiling3:

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
..., so it’ll be fun to see what you make of these.
If only I knew that for sure! :tongue-out3:

Today I gave a few Swedes their green base coat - but then what?

At first I thought I would do a light color modulation - but that would take a lot of time per vehicle and one of my goals is to be "fast".

So no color modulation. But I will need a drybrush otherwise the vehicles will look too boring - and a wash too, of course.... And generic markings... I'm excited to see where the journey takes me! :thinking: :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I just washed and drybrushed the ones I built, that looks quite good in this scale, IMHO.