Aircraft safety

• Thread starter Deleted member 6598
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6598

We’ve seen a good number of photos by and of @Waspie and his aircraft since he joined. I wonder if he appears in this video too? ;) (You’ll have to click the link because unfortunately, the video can’t be embedded in a post here.)

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had to do that gear up drill once at Lossiemouth when the Sqn standards pilot flew a spare cab up to us from Valley. He thought it would be great fun to see how us lineys reacted. One of the guys went to hook the gear down before earthing the cab but the pilot lifted away and nearly blew him across the pan.
Because I had actually read the SOP for this emergency it was down to me to point out what needed to happen. Once we’d earthed the cab and established RT comms he let on it was a simulated gear failure.
I had visions of hover refuels (not as simple on a HAR Sea King) while we filled sandbags for a landing bed.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
We’ve seen a good number of photos by and of @Waspie and his aircraft since he joined. I wonder if he appears in this video too? ;) (You’ll have to click the link because unfortunately, the video can’t be embedded in a post here.)
Nope, but my old boss was. 0.34 seconds in. John Skinner, piloting a Wasp. By then he was an HQ pilot on 829 NAS. I know a few of the faces as well as I remember the 'Lional' flight safety films being shot at Portland. In 1976 I was at Culdrose on a basic flying training course!!

D

Deleted member 6598

that gear up drill
What I found confusing there was the explanation of what had gone wrong. The narrator says that parts were not put on right, and you then see the mechanic put on three rings, then a spacer, one more ring, and then a nut. The implication is that this is wrong in some way, and I guess they figure that real Sea King mechanics would spot it right away — but anyone who isn’t, is left wondering what the actual problem is. I suppose the sequence of rings and spacer is off, but how?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
What I found confusing there was the explanation of what had gone wrong. The narrator says that parts were not put on right, and you then see the mechanic put on three rings, then a spacer, one more ring, and then a nut. The implication is that this is wrong in some way, and I guess they figure that real Sea King mechanics would spot it right away — but anyone who isn’t, is left wondering what the actual problem is. I suppose the sequence of rings and spacer is off, but how?
It's been a long time since I watched these flight safety films. You have to remember, these films were made for service personnel who knew the procedures, (or should have). But!! I think the point they are trying to make is check the manuals before fitting. In those days it was almost 'fashionable' to not use the aircraft AP, or on occasions not even do the job but 'sign it off'. (Which was why back then I was never asked to do a rush job!!).

I did watch the filming of the Wasp blade strike. This was due to the Wasp before flight inspection states you had to spin the main rotor to listen for rubbing of the engine turbine blades!! Doing this in a cramped busy hangar led to mishaps like blade damage if the mechanics weren't on the ball!!

They were meant as educational short films rather than show bad practice!!