Andy T's Arma Hobby 1/48 Mk llc Trop

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, thank you all so much. Seems like I was concerned over nothing, but then my head is firmly where the sun doesn't shine at the moment!

Echo the rest. Perfection! I'm envious of the exhaust staining. Care to share your secret Andy?
No secret really, but maybe some alchemy :smiling5:
I used Scale Model Shop camo matt black, mixed 50/50 with Mr Color clear base rough. The clear base reduces the opacity and the rough part adds a bit of texture to the paint for the sooty look.

By thinning this right down I could add several layers to build up the colour gradually. Spraying "backwards" on the starboard side (from the exhaust and to my left) was tricky for me as a leftie, I just don't have as much control that way. I considered turning it upside down but figured the curve would be harder that way.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks very much Andy. I have that little joy next on my Sea King!! I may try a modified version of your version. I'll see what I have to concoct a suitable 'soot'!!!!

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Its great Andy. If you think those are excessive just wait until you see the mess Ive made of mine. Andreas was right. Some of these planes got into a filthy state. You did mention the light. I have noticed this. You paint something in one light and it looks fine then you apply some varnish or change lighting conditions and the whole thing changes again.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Steve. Varnish (or more correctly, gloss level) really can make a big difference. Something that looks overly weathered when shiny will dull or mute down under a matt finish.