Bobs battles with Photo Etch!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have not posted much over the last yr due to a horrible yr of personal and family issues. But hopefully will be doing more posts from now on. So dug out KGV and it's large pe set, big mistake on my part to attempt that kit with so little ship and pe experience. So over the last few weeks I have been messing about with PE.

This is my effort with the 8 barrelled pom pom AA mount. Biggest / complex pe I have yet to do battle with. The Eduard plans are shocking. They could really be ignored!

The one to the left is the kits very poor mount and on the right I had to remove the lot! No mention on the plan?
20240622_124849.jpg

Now completed!
20240622_124849.jpg20240703_170720.jpg20240703_170653.jpg20240703_170556.jpg
Not great but happy so far, will build another so should improve.

Bofors mount
20240619_173555.jpg

Big difference for me was using a glue looper, very impressived.

Both really improve the kit but the latest 3D pom pom from master models are superb. The detail is brilliant.

Please feel free to criticise or point out issues folks

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Don't understand why your not pleased Bob, just look at those photos again and think I did this !
For a start the scale you are working on is impressive to say the least, and the actual PE is perfect , take a bow .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Don't understand why your not pleased Bob, just look at those photos again and think I did this !
For a start the scale you are working on is impressive to say the least, and the actual PE is perfect , take a bow .
NOW Bob you listen to J/R as like him i think they are brilliant an look a proffenle build so yes do as john says an take a bow my good freind an you keep sayin you cant build an keep havin to practice more well i think you are whey past the practise stage an as ive said before you sir are a GOOD MODELLER
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks John, a few places where I used a bit too many ca. But going to do another so should be better and quicker as well. Much appreciated sir

NOW Bob you listen to J/R as like him i think they are brilliant an look a proffenle build so yes do as john says an take a bow my good freind an you keep sayin you cant build an keep havin to practice more well i think you are whey past the practise stage an as ive said before you sir are a GOOD MODELLER
chrisb
Many thanks Chris, been starting with railings, especially bending and curves, so that's next!

Is all that PE starting to make you wish you hadn't switched to ships?
Oh yes, the nerves, I can't jump out of the window as I am upstairs lol.

Starting to see ship kits coming with 3 D printed stuff, so pe might be less needed. But it does make a difference.

Bob. You have got this PE lark sorted. Nowt wrong with that at all.
Now stop all this 'practice' and get on with it. lol
Evening Ian. The German destroyer has a fair bit of pe so that will be excellent practice before the next build. Got a short list of what's next but got my favourite,!

Excellent stuff Bob. Anyone would be proud of that, so you should be too!
Hi Tim

Thanks kind of you. Much appreciated!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
A big help was using more PVa as it gives excellent wiggle room and easier strengthed by a drop of ca via the looper? Then a big reorganisation of my PE storage, made some bog standard plywood dividers and hey presto nice and neat.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Where is the problem????

Agreed that some of the Eduard instructions are bad, but what I normally do is scan them and then blow them up to A4 size and mark the direction of fit with red pen..

Is this scale 1/350 or 1/200, because if so you have done far better than me, I still have two ship kits (1/350) with etch and each time I take out the box - open it - put the lid back on and walk away.....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Where is the problem????

Agreed that some of the Eduard instructions are bad, but what I normally do is scan them and then blow them up to A4 size and mark the direction of fit with red pen..

Is this scale 1/350 or 1/200, because if so you have done far better than me, I still have two ship kits (1/350) with etch and each time I take out the box - open it - put the lid back on and walk away.....
It's 1/350, it was 1/700 I would have not bothered lol. I do have 1/200 kits in the depths of the stash!

Bit messy with the ca in places, going to do another as there are more pom poms of course. Next is the railings, the straight lengths are ok but of course there's lots of bends, curves and angle and naturally they do not provide spares just incase. So in the post are a spare set of RN generic railings just for practice. Worried about doing most ok but then one goes pear shaped. We shall see my efforts soon!