Classic Hasegawa Lightning

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
With things as they are at the moment in the Miko household I feel the need for a quick fix, which for me is putting together and old kit from decades ago and have it completed and proudly on display in the 'one' spot I'm allowed in our living room, this will give me inspiration to continue with the other projects I have ongoing.

A 1960's vintage kit from Hasegawa, the last time I built this one it was a Frog boxing about a million years ago!

JASDF Lightning (2).jpgJASDF Lightning (3).jpgJASDF Lightning (4).jpg

With waves of nostalgia washing over me right now and long forgotten memories emerging from modelling in the dim distant past, it begins!

Miko (nostalgia? not what it used to be! Ha!)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Part one of the instructions has the fuselage halves together! and in stark contrast to the Sword T5 kit the cockpit detail is one rather basic seat, that's it, unless I include the pilot figure, which I never do unless I build landing gear up!JASDF Lightning (6).jpg

It took ten minutes to clean up the parts needed to attach to the fuselage, probably take another ten to glue them in position

JASDF Lightning (8).jpg

The wings are in upper and lower parts, a good fit compared to the similarly engineered Lightning F1a from Airfix

JASDF Lightning (5).jpg

Loving those glorious raised panel lines!

Miko (shaking the 'aluminium' paint rattle can as I type!)

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Very cool - It's been ages since I've seen a Hasegawa Lightning built up! The last one I did was an old Airfix F.thingy snap-fit kit.

Loving the raised panel lines!

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Very cool - It's been ages since I've seen a Hasegawa Lightning built up! The last one I did was an old Airfix F.thingy snap-fit kit.

Loving the raised panel lines!

The Hasegawa kit is engineered in a very similar way to the Airfix Lightning, the Hase being a little more refined, maybe because it's nearly a decade newer

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Actually the last ''Lightning'' I built was this - thanks again for the 607 decals...

Would you consider it 'bad form' to post photo's of your builds in someone build thread?

Just a link might be more appropriate

Miko (non the less, nice build of an F-35! I thought I'd seen that before, a 617sqn 'what if? Stuart?)

Last edited:

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Would you consider it 'bad form' to post photo's of your builds in someone build thread?

Miko (non the less, nice build of an F-35! I feel like I've seen it before, a 617sqn 'what if?)

Apologies.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold

Miko (non the less, nice build of an F-35! I thought I'd seen that before, a 617sqn 'what if? Stuart?)

Yes indeed, apologies for that. It doesn't bother me personally, but I don't generally post up photo's in other peoples threads unless asked. In this case though, given that you'd given me the 617 decals, and by the way of a bit of banter, I didn't think you mind. But I'll keep it in mind in the future.

Anyway, apologies for the threadjack. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this old Hasegawa kit.

Steve Ski

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow, flashbacks, Miko! I saw one of these live in Denmark back in 84' when I was TDY with the F-15's. It was the funkiest thing I'd ever seen and I always thought it looked like an over-under shotgun from the rear, lol.

That is one cool find, enjoy! I hope you're still working this, too.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wow, flashbacks, Miko! I saw one of these live in Denmark back in 84' when I was TDY with the F-15's. It was the funkiest thing I'd ever seen and I always thought it looked like an over-under shotgun from the rear, lol.

That is one cool find, enjoy! I hope you're still working this, too.
YES Steave they did look like that but what a plane when i was younger i spent a fair amount of time with my dad at RAF COLTISHALL as he was the heavy duty crane driver lifting their enginses in an out an recovering them when they crashed very exciting time for me but what a plane to see them when they took off boy when off the runway they would go straight up like a rocket WOW
CHRISB