Doug's 1/72 LF Wasp - Under Starters Orders!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi folks. Good news, for me anyway!
Bulk of the chores are finished and today I managed to have a serious look at the Westland Wasp Mk1 (And only 1),
Oh isn't it small!!! The sprues have no lettering or numbers on them, not that it's a problem as I'm more than familiar with the cab. Loads of flash, so mucho cleaning up to do.
Took a couple of sprue shots to give me the umph to get started. Not that I need any!!

Pic 1
Quite a few Scout parts on this so not all needed.
IMG_1453.JPG

Pic 2
Two tail pylons, one for the Scout the other for the Wasp. Front cabin nose window cut out will need a bit of work!!
IMG_1454.JPG

Pic 3
Clear plastic and decals.
IMG_1456.JPG

I will be endeavouring to scratch a couple of the missile boxes in the cockpit as well as the missile guidance control. But in 1/72 I'm not holding my breath on that!!!
Missiles due to arrive late July and have some thinking to do regards them, Wings or no wings!! What colour to paint the warhead. Do I make them 'warshot' or training heads???
The Wasp was primarily a MATCH helicopter, or Medium Attack Torpedo Carrying Helicopter! (I think that's right) then in the late 70's an Israeli vessel, (the Eilat) was taken out by a Styx missile fired from an Egyptian fast patrol boat. The RN realised it had nothing to respond to such an attack itself so the Wasp was retrofitted with the AS12 missile system as variation of the French SS12 Nord Aviation weapon system.
I also need to start thinking about how to add some slight twist to the main rotor blades!
The Wasp was fairly unique in many ways! The Nimbus engine was a mix of co-axial and centrifugal compressor and the rotor blades to give it the correct lift had tapered blades as well as a couple of degree twist from root to tip!!! The rotor speed, (NR), was very high at 401rpm, very close to the speed of sound.
That's it for now folks. Just waiting to get out of the blocks now!! (Washing sprues).
Doug

Attachments

• IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    386.3 KB · Views: 0

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Will be watching this in interest Doug as I'm rather fond of the old Scout and Wasp (I do recall trying to build the Airfix Scout years ago) and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Scratch-building boxes and whatnot in 1/72 is pretty easy if you have some plasticard or similar, just layer it up etc.

Twisting the rotors should be fun - hot water and a home-made jig maybe? It's shame you don't have a blade to practice on!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Nice choice Doug, although looks small and fiddly. I've only ever built one helicopter and it was definitely not easy. I'll watch your progress with interest.
Thanks Jim and you're most welcome to sit in. SWMBO thinks I'm a crusade to build every helicopter I've worked on or flown in so I still have a few to go!! (Well 6!!) Whirlwind Mk7/Wessex Mk's 1, 3 & 5.) Sea Kings 2 & 6, As I've already built the Mk5!)
And yes, this one is indeed small and fiddly. Not the best looking but was extremely versatile and fun. From simply grenade like charges to a nuclear depth charge.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Here's the instructions and reference material I'm using other than my own ramblings, some of which are reproduced in the Wasp Operational History book!.

Pic
Left, Original Instructions. Top centre, Wasp An Operational and Retirement History. Right Scanned copy of instructions.
Bottom, Fleet Air Arm Helicopters from 1943. (Includes every Wasp flown by the FAA)
IMG_1458.JPG

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks Jim and you're most welcome to sit in. SWMBO thinks I'm a crusade to build every helicopter I've worked on or flown in so I still have a few to go!! (Well 6!!) Whirlwind Mk7/Wessex Mk's 1, 3 & 5.) Sea Kings 2 & 6, As I've already built the Mk5!)
And yes, this one is indeed small and fiddly. Not the best looking but was extremely versatile and fun. From simply grenade like charges to a nuclear depth charge.
Garry's post reminded me, I can add the Lynx Mk2 and the Lynx Mk99 to my list!!!! That'll keep me happy and busy although SWMBO she say "not another *****y helicopter!!!!'

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm in too, Doug! With my new glasses (as shown left), I should be able to see this tiny thing being built...

Oh and thanks for the reference of the missile fins being compared to those on a player's darts. Much appreciated!!!

Cheers
Phil 'The Power' Taylor, Ret.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Correction to my first post.
MATCH - Maritime attack torpedo carrying helicopter. Not medium as I initially stated.

Mmm , :thinking: Marmite attack torpedo carrying helicopter , dont tell Dave (@Gern)
:smiling5: . Looking forward to this doug, its a tiny thing in 1/72 , I remember having the old Airfix Scout as a kid . The kit looks quite nicely done , hopefully it’ll not sting you during the build . Cheers tony

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Chair pulled up :smiling3: I remember the wasp on the Leander, then started swapping them all out for the lynx.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
oh cool! this will be interesting and so small, good luck!