Heat source for annealing

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning rabble

At the moment I have stopped building and as my mojo is back ( at last) I am focusing on the horrors of good old PE. With KGV having a shed load, it's a ideal time to both ruin it further but excellent practice!

Now the question ( you know it was coming).

I need to anneal some parts, splinter shields etc but only have a ciggy lighter which I use to burn off pe to use as a heat source. What is best chaps! Was thinking of those hand held butane lighters??

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Not a problem, you cannot control the lighter and the etch at the same time - thin etch will get burnt away and your fingers will get hot through heat transfer.
For a quick wave over of etch just to get it a little annealed I use a wax candle, stand it on an old lid by dripping some of the liquid wax onto the lid and then straight away putting the base of the candle onto the soft wax.
Etch - with the candle lit (you would be surprised!!!) take the etch and hold it in a pair of tweezers or small pliers and move the etch back and forth over the flame - you do not need to be in the flame start off about 15mm above and work down moving from side to side and you will see the colour of the brass change. It does not need to glow red, but a lightish red brown will be enough of a colour change.
First try with a thin bit of the fret, not the edge of the frame as this is actually thicker, but one of the thinner runners inside the frame.
If a part becomes warped then lay it flat and use a roller to go over it with a little pressure and then turn it over as it will follow the roller and do the same on the other side.
A quick light sanding will give you a surface to c/a the parts together.
Cheers
Mike.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Follow on Q.
Would Mikes procedure work both on brass and steel etch?
2. Would you realistically anneal ‘all’ etch?
TIA
Doug

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Follow on Q.
Would Mikes procedure work both on brass and steel etch?
2. Would you realistically anneal ‘all’ etch?
TIA
Doug
The 'steel' etch can be a pig, but the same method can be used, but may take a little longer... heat.
"2" No! It all depends on the part - for example a tube comes flat and needs rolling - anneal. A box comes flat - bend as is.
Mike

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
The 'steel' etch can be a pig, but the same method can be used, but may take a little longer... heat.
"2" No! It all depends on the part - for example a tube comes flat and needs rolling - anneal. A box comes flat - bend as is.
Mike
Superb, thank you Mike. A star as always. :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I use a gas cooker lighter - Poundshop - Amazon...................
cooker lighter.jpg
Have a big gas capacity, and easy to control - can give a large flame!
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not a problem, you cannot control the lighter and the etch at the same time - thin etch will get burnt away and your fingers will get hot through heat transfer.
For a quick wave over of etch just to get it a little annealed I use a wax candle, stand it on an old lid by dripping some of the liquid wax onto the lid and then straight away putting the base of the candle onto the soft wax.
Etch - with the candle lit (you would be surprised!!!) take the etch and hold it in a pair of tweezers or small pliers and move the etch back and forth over the flame - you do not need to be in the flame start off about 15mm above and work down moving from side to side and you will see the colour of the brass change. It does not need to glow red, but a lightish red brown will be enough of a colour change.
First try with a thin bit of the fret, not the edge of the frame as this is actually thicker, but one of the thinner runners inside the frame.
If a part becomes warped then lay it flat and use a roller to go over it with a little pressure and then turn it over as it will follow the roller and do the same on the other side.
A quick light sanding will give you a surface to c/a the parts together.
Cheers
Mike.
Excellent, many thanks Mike.

Sound advice !!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I use a gas cooker lighter - Poundshop - Amazon...................
View attachment 512454
Have a big gas capacity, and easy to control - can give a large flame!
Dave
Cheers Dave, will nick sorry borrow a candle and give it a go. My dear mum always had them, just incase!

Ideal if there's a power cut as well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have a lighter or two which I use for that. I find candles far to sooty, but they are probably cheap ones!
Dont use your good tweezers to hold the parts with. you will knacker the tips and they will bend just as easy as a lead pipe in a furnace.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have a lighter or two which I use for that. I find candles far to sooty, but they are probably cheap ones!
Dont use your good tweezers to hold the parts with. you will knacker the tips and they will bend just as easy as a lead pipe in a furnace.
The cheap reverse action tweezers with fibre grips are probably best for this.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning Ian and ta very much. Being a lazy bugger with a cuppa in bed!!