Ironclad IJN NACHI 1943

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon, well after practicing it's time to hopefully use some of it!

IJN Nachi heavy cruiser of the Myoko class. Really like the look of these magnificent ships.

I also building this in memory of my friend Al

First some photos
20240807_173900.jpg20240807_162110.jpg20240807_162054.jpg20240807_162038.jpg20240807_161949.jpg20240807_161928.jpg20240807_162328.jpg20240807_162357.jpg
tiny sprue of PE

Love the big poster! Not all of the sprees, lots and lots!

Going to build this totally different to past disasters lol.

Next up is to spend a lot more time studying the plans, lots of pages but unlike Trumpeter they label the parts with there colours!

Not helping is that's mums probate has been granted very quickly so been also busy getting the house for sale.

Feel free to join in!

Bob

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Bob. Agree, great looking ships. Why ironclad though? As far as I remember that’s a nineteenth century name for the original armoured wooden ships? By the time this lady was launched she was just an armoured cruiser?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks good Bob. Agree, great looking ships. Why ironclad though? As far as I remember that’s a nineteenth century name for the original armoured wooden ships? By the time this lady was launched she was just an armoured cruiser?
Hi Tim

I think it's another name or part of Aoshima who also issue IJN cruisers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Definitely in for this Bob. I agree with Tim in that Ironclad is not a name I would associate with a 1920s designed and built ship. The kit is the final incarnation before the yanks sunk her.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Definitely in for this Bob. I agree with Tim in that Ironclad is not a name I would associate with a 1920s designed and built ship. The kit is the final incarnation before the yanks sunk her.
Cheers Jim, for my sins I have her sisters Ashigara and Myoko!

There's not a huge of books on the heavy cruisers. I have the warships pictorial and a few others

Ooo a floaty boaty thing :hungry:

How long is it?..ooooer missus :smiling6:
That would be telling lol

Bob,
Count me in mate, I will follow along.
Delighted Paul!

Nice choice Bob.
We will see lol. Never read the instructions so much !!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Bob matey count me in also i'll follow along on this great build as yes i was always amazed at how high an big the front mast an s/s were on jap ships an i always wondered how they got on in rough wheather i should think they rollred quite a bit as with any ship its a case of when building to whatch how much top wheight as i know ive been workin on model r/c ships an ive seen a few big model ship just capsize an roll straight over so your ships you are modelin Bob mate must have had a very heavy counter wheight in the hull bottom to stop this from happening an yes i think its great an very nice of you to build it in honor an thoughts of AL he will be missed greatly
so lets see this build start
chrisb

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Bob, the Nachi's sister ship Myoko was scuttled by the British after the war not far off the coast of Port Klang previously called Port Swettenham in the Malacca Straits.
Will be following this build as these cruisers were state of the art and radical in design just before the war.

Cheers,
Wabble

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Chair pulled up :smiling3:
Welcome aboard Brian

Love their naval architecture, though not as pretty as the Italians.
Totally agree Italian ships had style!

I think the Ironclad part is the series in the Aoshima range. Looks like a very nice kit.
They are Ian, it's on the front page of the plans

YES Bob matey count me in also i'll follow along on this great build as yes i was always amazed at how high an big the front mast an s/s were on jap ships an i always wondered how they got on in rough wheather i should think they rollred quite a bit as with any ship its a case of when building to whatch how much top wheight as i know ive been workin on model r/c ships an ive seen a few big model ship just capsize an roll straight over so your ships you are modelin Bob mate must have had a very heavy counter wheight in the hull bottom to stop this from happening an yes i think its great an very nice of you to build it in honor an thoughts of AL he will be missed greatly
so lets see this build start
chrisb
They were always top heavy, especially with those massive bridges ( favourite bit ). Most had to have major refits to lower the bridges.

Bob, the Nachi's sister ship Myoko was scuttled by the British after the war not far off the coast of Port Klang previously called Port Swettenham in the Malacca Straits.
Will be following this build as these cruisers were state of the art and radical in design just before the war.

Cheers,
Wabble
Dear Wabble , good to see you sir and a interesting fact!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Labelled the sprues. All the deck vents etc are separate and small. Makes painting easier but will have to be careful that I lock up the carpet monster. Can see some pinging off!!

20240809_153619.jpg20240809_153614.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Something you’ll know better than me Bob, but wasn’t the idea of those pagoda bridges an attempt to see further “over the horizon” before the Japanese had effective ship radar? It certainly made them stand out from the crowd….

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Excellent!!!

Do I need to open a book on how many of those small parts ping off into the void!?!?!?
How dare you, ok what odds on me jumping out of the window!

Something you’ll know better than me Bob, but wasn’t the idea of those pagoda bridges an attempt to see further “over the horizon” before the Japanese had effective ship radar? It certainly made them stand out from the crowd….
That's right as far as I know, Fuso and Ise had massive ones so looking forward to that.