Jakko’s 1:20 scale Tamiya Tyrell P.34

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks once more :smiling3: Though I think it could have been done better, but perhaps it would have helped if I had bought a different kit than this one …

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Jakko very nice build an i like these cars with the double front wheels but why did they build these when the normal wheel layout was ok ?
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, guys :smiling3:

Something different for you. I don't remember you building a car before.
Other than this one, you mean? ;)

img_0612-jpeg.502109

But yes, the last civilian car I built before that Simca must have been … oh, thirty years ago? I built a couple of Tamiya and Italeri 1:24 scale cars when I was young(er), and some 1:32 Matchbox ones when I was younger still, but that’s been about it until late last year.

why did they build these when the normal wheel layout was ok ?
The normal big front wheels are hard to streamline, but if they had just put in a smaller wheel, the contact area would have ended up too small to properly steer the car. Tyrell’s designers came to the conclusion that four small wheels would steer as well as two normal ones, but be easier to streamline because of the reduced height, and as the F1 regulations didn’t prohibit it, that’s what they went for. After 1977 (I think), though, regulations were changed to stipulate that F1 cars have to have four wheels.