Matchbox Hanomag 251 half track

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I had a go at this one way back in the day and I think I made a complete fudge of it...
Time to have a proper go at one...
The build was absolutely flawless, no fit issues or excess flash. I didn't realise how tiny the kit actually was until I started building it. It seemed so much bigger in my 10 year old sized hands way back in the 1980s...
Painting was easy and quick. The decals were in great shape (albeit also tiny) and adhered to the model without a hitch.
Pure nostalgic Matchbox joy!
Next up, the Matchbox Puma armoured car.

Attachments

• IMG_20240628_072743_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240628_072743_HDR.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240628_072812.jpg
    IMG_20240628_072812.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240628_072852.jpg
    IMG_20240628_072852.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 12

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hey, fun, another Matchbox aficionado :smiling3: I assume you’re aware of matchboxkits.org?
Hi Jakko, no I wasn't but I am now! Will have a browse later on.
Matchbox kits represent my first fumbling forays into the world of modelling as a kid. Can't beat that feeling of nostalgia, the smell of the plastic and glue! In my humble opinion many Matchbox kits hold their own against some modern kits in terms of fit, overall accuracy of shape and detailed decal sheets True, interior detail was sadly lacking and the panel lines were trench-like but who cares..?!

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Much the same here :smiling3: They were the kits I built when I was young, and I still like them — even if I haven’t built one in ages.
Some are quite pricey so I only get them if they appear at a low price. My "grail piece" would be the Privateer but they cost a bomb, even in Revell kit form...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Some are quite pricey
I’ve noticed that as well. Plus, they are getting ever rarer so I don’t really want to build any originals anymore. Revell ones, sure.

My "grail piece" would be the Privateer but they cost a bomb, even in Revell kit form...
You mean this one? :smiling3:

image-jpg.328911

I’m a little surprised that I’ve had that for five years already, though, and it cost me all of €15 :smiling3: No idea what they go for today, but I guess from your comment that it’s rather more than that?

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I’ve noticed that as well. Plus, they are getting ever rarer so I don’t really want to build any originals anymore. Revell ones, sure.

You mean this one? :smiling3:

image-jpg.328911

I’m a little surprised that I’ve had that for five years already, though, and it cost me all of €15 :smiling3: No idea what they go for today, but I guess from your comment that it’s rather more than that?
That's the one. Doesn't come up very often online but commands a high price when it does... Always fancied having a go at the Wellesley. Maybe the next one on the list...!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I do intend to build the Privateer one of these days, but probably not the Wellesley due to it being a real Matchbox one. I haven’t decided yet if I’ll build it as a US Navy one, or convert it into a firebomber.