Mercedes-Benz 300SL (Tamiya 1/24), "Fat Boy" restomod

PauliusLiekis

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paulius
I asked Santa for Mercedes-Benz 300SL last Christmas and my wish came true! :smiling3: It came as Tamiya kit and I love it. The level of detail and production quality is amazing. I have recently
tried Revell (level 3), Fujimi and Tamiya, and I would rate them in the same order. Would you say that it's a standard that Tamiya kits are better in general or does that vary a lot kit by kit? Does Revell get much better if you get level 5? Do other brands have levels as well?
IMG_3847 copy.JPG
IMG_3848 copy.JPG

The plan is to make heavy modifications and turn it into "Fat Boy": modern wheels, chopped off roof, shorter windshield, spoilers, etc, something like this:
1720091371790.png

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Restomod is definitely my kind of thing and a route I fancy going down, so I'll be watching closely!

My experience is limited compared to many here but as a rule Tamiya make very nice kits. They have the odd pup but generally the fit & engineering is top drawer, although they can sometimes be a bit light on detail.

I read that the Revell level system is just based on the number of parts in the kit, so not really an indication of anything else. Maybe someone else can confirm (or deny) that.