Model photos the easy way

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
For model photography, HDR is mainly useful if you have light things in the photo, that disappear in the glare — like in the example with a few bits of plastic card. Another situation in which it makes a good deal of difference is if you go outside and photograph something with the sun in the frame, whether directly or shining through a cloud:

IMG_1314.jpegIMG_1315.jpeg

The first is normal, the second is HDR, taken less than a second apart.

As for your figure, I like the last, darker, picture better than the other two.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks, guys :smiling3:

Those things shouldn’t take very long. After you’ve done it a few times you’ll known what to press and it’ll be very quick, but your photos will be much better for it :smiling3:

Thinking about it, it’s probably better than the little tripod, because with this arm I can get the light down to table level, instead of some distance above it, so I can take pictures horizontally if I want to rather than only diagonally from above. I’d consider it a worthwhile investment if you’ve got a ring lamp.
Of course being retired I've got the time,I've got a fold up booth, lights , just a pain to get it all set up. :confused:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Like I said earlier, if you’ve got the space to put it permanently, that’s much more convenient. Sure, the folding booths are intended as being portable, but if I had to set mine up every time I wanted to take some photos I wouldn’t be posting many on here, I know that :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
My goose neck holder for my ring light arrived. Good and solid for the price. As I said my set up is like Jakko's, two side lights and a down light, but having the ring light fixed is so much easier.
P1070661.JPG

P1070657.JPG

Seems to work very well. An early attempt at a stand alone figure.
P1070658.JPG

A plane which shouldn't have yellow prop tips but looks pretty!
P1070660.JPG

I also took onboard Jakko's suggestion to photograph from further away and then crop the image. I use a free programme called Paintnet.

Thanks Jakko.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That light on the wall is so much easier than my solution of hanging one of the spotlights from a bit of wire :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I bought a new iPad the other day, let me add a little bit to this thread concerning the differences between devices.

Here are three photos of a Jagdtiger:

IMG_1083.jpegIMG_1084.jpegIMG_1100.jpeg

The first was taken with my old iPad with HDR off, the second with HDR on, and the third with my new iPad. This has automatic HDR, so you can’t turn it on or off by hand, and it looks like the model in the third photo looks pretty similar to the second to me, while the first is slightly less saturated. Not really enough to make a noticeable difference, though. (The background is clearly different between the third photo and the other two, but the model itself not that much.)

But now look at this other Jagdtiger:

IMG_1085.jpegIMG_1086.jpegIMG_1101.jpeg

Again, first the old iPad without HDR, then with HDR, and then the new iPad. Once more, the first picture is a little less saturated than the second, but the third has far more colour saturation than I would like it to have :sad: I’m guessing this is because current iPads do a lot more colour processing than older ones (due to the extra horsepower available) and no doubt, this helps you take pictures that look much better of generic subjects like nature, people, street scenes, etc. — but it’s not to my liking for model photography. I haven’t found out how to stop it doing this, though, and I don’t really feel like having to manually adjust every photo after taking it …

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Out of those Jakko, I feel the non HDR shots look best. In your first three the “old” IPad shot with HDR has slightly blown the highlights. In both cases the “new” IPad HDR pictures look horrible, with really over applied colour shifts. They just look like poor JPG shots where every slider has been pushed full up. Certainly not selling that device to me…..I’d have to colour correct them all, and as you know, that’s a slow process on an IPad. Just out of interest, have you tried them on a mid grey background? The dark background may be causing the over exposure that is evident in HDR.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I feel the non HDR shots look best.
I’m leaning to the HDR photos with the old iPad, but there’s not much between with and without in these, IMHO.

In both cases the “new” IPad HDR pictures look horrible, with really over applied colour shifts. They just look like poor JPG shots where every slider has been pushed full up. Certainly not selling that device to me…..
I had expected a lot better, I know that. It’s probably an indicator of what most people photograph with their phones and tablets — that is, not scale models :smiling3: I want to try other camera apps, but all of those I’ve found so far on the app store are subscription-based, and I refuse to pay for software-as-a-service when they’re just delivering me a product. (If they were offering some actual service, like cloud-based storage, a multi-player online game, or something like that, then sure, I’ll pay a regular fee to be able to keep using it, but not for something that’s really just a single product that lives entirely on my iPad.)

I’d have to colour correct them all, and as you know, that’s a slow process on an IPad.
I’ve been playing with the pre-set filters, and it looks like a few of them change the colours enough to appear much more muted. I can live with applying a filter to photos, but I wouldn’t want to colour-correct each and every model photo by hand with all the different sliders available for that.

Just out of interest, have you tried them on a mid grey background? The dark background may be causing the over exposure that is evident in HDR.
I haven’t tried that, but I do intend to see what happens with different colours of background. I would have to find something to use as a neutral grey one, though — my only easy alternatives are white and blue.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’m leaning to the HDR photos with the old iPad, but there’s not much between with and without in these, IMHO.

I had expected a lot better, I know that. It’s probably an indicator of what most people photograph with their phones and tablets — that is, not scale models :smiling3: I want to try other camera apps, but all of those I’ve found so far on the app store are subscription-based, and I refuse to pay for software-as-a-service when they’re just delivering me a product. (If they were offering some actual service, like cloud-based storage, a multi-player online game, or something like that, then sure, I’ll pay a regular fee to be able to keep using it, but not for something that’s really just a single product that lives entirely on my iPad.)

I’ve been playing with the pre-set filters, and it looks like a few of them change the colours enough to appear much more muted. I can live with applying a filter to photos, but I wouldn’t want to colour-correct each and every model photo by hand with all the different sliders available for that.

I haven’t tried that, but I do intend to see what happens with different colours of background. I would have to find something to use as a neutral grey one, though — my only easy alternatives are white and blue.
Blue or lilac might actually be a better background, certainly for colour balance. That way you are filling in the colour wheel when the subject is predominantly one colour like the yellow ones are.
I think the issue with the HDR shots is that the software tries to range the picture all the way from black to white, even if those tones don’t appear in the image. It would be interesting to see an exposure graph of those shots side by side with uncorrected ones. I bet all it does is spread the frequencies to fill the range of the graph.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Unfortunately, getting the uncorrected pictures out of the standard iPad camera app isn’t going to happen, AFAIK. But if I find a good alternative that can take RAW pictures, it might be worth experimenting with taking the same picture in both.