Modelling philosophy

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
The reason we build models and what we get out of the experience seems to be quite variable, I would think nostalgia plays a part for many of us, it is a hobby most of us enjoyed as youngsters, and seen by many as a kids thing even today, although I can't think of any that do, but the one remaining local model shop in my area assures me kids do occasionally take home a kit which is encouraging. for the most part we are of a generation that learned the art of model building in the sixties to early eighties and significant amounts of pocket money filled the coffers of messrs Airfix Matchbox Revell et al! and now we have disposable income to indulge our preference we seem to be in a second golden age where every subject imaginable is available or easily could be with the advent of 3D printing, we are so spoiled for choice!

Personally, I build kits that have some interest to me usually in themes, I find the research one of the most enjoyable parts of the whole venture, I collect lots of books regarding military aviation, mostly British in origin, (and Japanese more recently) I have quite a collection of test pilot biographies which goes someway to explain my 'raspberry ripple' fetish! I like to connect in someway my current build to my next, making it one long progression, a journey if you like without a destination but many stops along the way. once a kit is built it goes on display in my modelling space on one of two Ikea 'Lack' shelves, builds move along like on a conveyor as further builds are added, once a build reaches the edge, it gets boxed up and placed in storage waiting for it's moment to make a guest appearance when appropriate. I can't have all my builds out on display at the same time, it would just be too cluttered for me.

A matter of exponential stash expansion is avoided by building in aforementioned themes, I once had a stash of many hundreds of kits of all manner of subjects and generas, it was quite cathartic to reduce down a more reasonable fifty or so, I achieve this by limiting the subjects I build to mostly aircraft, almost exclusively British military or JASDF (the Japanese thing is quite recent) and a handful of Cold War Soviet aircraft. I have nothing from before the cold war in the stash, nothing from the USAF, not since 1986 when TopGun was in the cinema I had to have an F-14 Tomcat! although I have build AFV's previously I have non in the stash, same thing with ships, I've never built a motorcycle but I do have one in the stash, this is more to a genra of modelling I started with my anime obsessed step daughter, this involves kits from Bandia and Kotobukiya of Gundam like female figures, the idea was to make stop motion movies with them, this goes a long way to explain my Japanese fascination!

I really enjoy classic kits, simple to build usually with low parts count, it's a test to my ever improving modelling skills to get a reasonable result that I'm happy to display. I not too concerned with super detail and finite accuracy, I don't understand those who measure their nice new kits, they are on a hiding to nothing and disappointment is almost inevitable, I have great admiration for super detailers who go to extraordinary lengths to add after market parts such as resin and photo etch, weathering too is a highly skilled art form! but it's not for me, I prefer the showroom look. and if someone wants to argue that my builds are wrong! I call it a 'what if'! They are always one hundred per cent accurate! What if builds are completely stress free and a nice distraction away from continuing a theme. I rarely 'arm' my military aircraft, I like to build more interesting and more colourful research and development aircraft, green and grey camouflage aircraft are very literally 'dull'! I don't have some pacifist agenda it's just arming my builds is mostly not needed, however, after reading a history of 74 Squadron RAF I've added a few to the stash to build their cold war jets, complete with 'what if's' of those types that didn't serve in the 'Tiger Squardon'

I could go on, but I suspect that's enough

What's your modelling philosophy, a recent thread suggested throwing kits away when they become problematic, is it just me that doesn't do that?

Miko (waiting for paint to dry)

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
My philosophy?

I got back in to this lark in 2006.....post divorce...on my own and able to do what i wanted!....took up modelmaking again......it quickly became what i did to relax.....a stress buster........and after 18 months off its why ive started again

As to subject matter......i enjoy most things.....bikes and cars cos ive been around them since my teens.....military stuff cos ive always had interest in military history (im at least 4th generation british military.....at some point i want to research family tree more)......i like sci fi stuff cos well....i like sci fi lol......i even do air craft occasionally....and i love what ifs cos thats when imagination can run riot

As for binning kits....yup....i do.....either gets finished or stripped for spares box......i know where your coming from as its cost you money but its only a bit of injection moulded plastic that cost the manufacturer pennies to squirt out.....id rather move on and enjoy myself with a new kit than get frustrated bashing together a troublesome kit

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Don't think I ever "binned" a kit. Many went to my children who played hard w/them & the remains went into the spares box. Some were rebuilt later or became parts of other projects. Sometimes tough ones are set aside till later. Take the semi-scratched 1/87 Ward LaFrance 10 ton wrecker for instance, on it's 3rd attempt. I prefer modeling units rather than one-offs & dios rather than vignettes. Started O (1/48) scale trains & aircraft, then HO (1/87) model trains & military vehicles due to cost/space issues.

Last edited:

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Scale modelling for me is simply something I find great pleasure in. Just like football was and playing the drums still is. Although it appears time is slowly accelerating with age, I have been fortunate to still make time and return to a hobby I once was completely immersed in as a child.

And just like a child I still find myself obsessed with sticking pieces of plastic together. As I did with Lego, I still love building but the creative side of producing a scale replica is now the driving force. As long as fellow modellers continue to inspire me, and publishers and manufacturers keep releasing interesting content and as long as my eyes and digits still play ball, long may it continue.

D

Deleted member 6598

I build what I like — it has to hold my interest for long enough, that’s really the only criterion.

I’ve never put a kit into the bin — at worst, the part-built model goes back into its box and the box goes back into the stash. Possibly to never come out again, sure, but the only model bits I put into the bin, are empty sprues.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Miko
Interesting topic :thumb2:

Like you, I have themes I like to build in. For instance, ‘The Falklands’ or ‘The Battle of Arnhem’ might be a theme. I also tend to build mostly WW2 NW European theatre stuff as my Grandfather served in Royal Artillery in Normandy through to Germany.

Interestingly, lately I’ve been looking at vintage kits with the aim of detailing them up to modern standards. I think the reason for this is part nostalgia and partly the challenge. I‘m beginning to feel that some of the challenge of model making is lacking in modern kits and techniques. It feels a bit shake and bake. I’m not knocking new kits, God knows I’ve spent enough money them, but sometimes you need a kit you can really add your skills to. With this in mind, I’ve recently purchased the venerable 1/24 Airfix 109E. It lacks wheels wells, the cockpit needs serious work, the exhausts are moulded with the fuselage… the list goes on. But I lusted after this kit as a kid and, now that I have it, I want to see what can be done with it. I also have the Stuka which, by all accounts, is still the more accurate kit when compared to the modern Trumpeter kit.

I don’t think I have one philosophy when it comes to builds but I do think they follow a logic (of sorts).

Cheers
Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I built kits as a kid based on the "Cor! Look at the size of that!" lol. So a rather eclectic collection. As I got more into it I got into German, more Afrika corp than anything. I remember the Tamiya Famo and 88mm flake the first time round. Still a once in a while builder then, I discovered girls and beer, not sure of the order. Then I discovered motorbikes as well. Sticking bits of plastic together was the last thing on my mind... Found out that you could also build things with wheels that could go real fast. which was a fun interlude.
Several houses, motorbikes and wives later, Oh and a move to Denmark, I got back into the plastic habit via my other addiction. Carp fishing. A friend had a bait boat that needed some repairs and I said I would look into it. Many model boats later I guess I was back. lol
I still enjoy my boats and ships but still a bit eclectic, British WWII trucks and armour, A few paraffin burners. More spitfires than I care to admit and a nice little collection for cold war Royal Navy aircraft. Have also found that model trucks are quite absorbing. Apart from my childhood efforts I think I have only ever binned a handful of kits.
A Kitty Hawk ´Jaguar that I dropped after a month of fighting to get parts to fit. Gave up on that as to damaged to fix well.
My Lynx mkI Royal Marine Taxi that I stupidly pulled of the shelve sending it to a nose dive onto the hardwood floor. Almost as many, if not more parts that the original kit. Heart broken, that to was binned. (Rather liked that one).
There has been a couple of Aircraft that where "could do better" so I binned those too and re built them....
A Resin Morris that was so bad It hurt. A plastic one came out so....

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I got back into modelling after we moved to Belgium. In the Uk I was dealing with maintaining an old listed farmhouse and garden and that occupied a lot of time. Once in Belgium living in a rented apartment I had time on my hands an filled it with modelling.
Given I spend my working day working on scientific issues, I find it stress busting to work with my hands in the evening

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Such a beautiful city. Great food too.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
My very simple modeller's philosophy is enjoying the building, painting and weathering process and then reading the comments and admiring other modelers' works on a nice forum like this one.
I can meet fantastic beasts just under my feet, spend many hours trying to remember where the h**k did I put that small but absolutely unreplaceable piece and concluding that it's now where those fantastic beasts live (I'm talking about the carpet monster, of course ;)), get high on TET, get my hands skin cracked by the airbrush cleaner (the protective gloves are just there, on the cupboard, but why wasting 10 seconds? :smiling4:) and my fingers stuck by superglue (see previous parenthesis...:thinking:), fight against a sputtering airbrush or a loaded brush falling from my clumsy hand down in the middle of an already painted surface or on transparencies, then find that that unreplaceable small part you thought lost forever has been sticking from your sweater arm since last month (this will not reduce the blame on carpet monsters, anyway ;) ). Then I realize it's lunch or dinner time and that I really enjoyed my time at the bench. :cool::smiling3:
It's relaxing, ...really!:tongue-out3:
The shelf is just a reminder of my mistakes, which would become really useful if I only could understand the difference between a lesson individuated and a lesson learned :nerd::tongue-out3:
I usually buy the kits I like, tanks, aircrafts or figures without a specific theme; they must hit my attention for any reason, even the less poetic one (size, already available paints or an encouraging price :money-face:;)) and sometimes I buy tools which are doomed to get old and unused in a drawer, but they look so, so cool! :cool:
And it's fun!... really! :tongue-out3:
Andrea

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I build models as a creative outlet to fill some of my leisure time. I have no particular area of interest, scale or period.
My very simple modeller's philosophy is enjoying the building, painting and weathering process and then reading the comments and admiring other modelers' works on a nice forum like this one.
I think Andy has summed up my thoughts perfectly.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I also have an HO model railroad I putter with when I loose the military mojo. There is always something to do there.

Steve Ski

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Miko, you took us for a deep dive, great topic, lots of great thoughts in there. Personally, I've never thought about the philosophy of why I do what I do other than since a kid, building models has always amazed me, and I've never let it go. I think it's the art of building models. Art class was always the most fun when we were kids, and who really enjoyed English class anyway? Sheesh, we all speak it, so why bother, right? Throw social studies and some other boring subjects in there too, nothing ever beat art class.

Remember when we were all young lads and lassies and how our imagination could soar? I think that has a lot to do with why we still play with models. The creativity is limitless if you have the imagination to make it happen, and that is very cool.

Since I retired 5yrs ago I've been trying to remain consistent and reach my personal painting goals, something I swore to myself I would do when work was no longer an issue. So far, so good. I've ended the kit buying spree for now, too many kits and we won't be here forever. I know what I want to do with each kit, be it a tank, AC, or even a car or two, but the figure stash is rather large and I've got plans for them, too.

I hear guys talk of binning kits, but have never done that, what's the point, imo. I've got the wood butcher tools, I'll just build another curio cabinet and fill that one up too, HA! I have only given away one figure that I painted for a childhood friend and the rest are here with me still to this day. I hate cutting loose with my work.

One thing is for sure, building models keeps our brain, eyes, and hands active and every one of us has heard of those who've retired and passed on not long afterwards. They either didn't have a hobby or they were not active, imo. I know plenty of guys that were getting ready to retire and were already looking for another job. I must add that in my line of work mandatory retirement was age 57. Who was I to argue; twist my arm and kick me out the door! HA! So, if you don't have a hobby or some fun activity to keep you going you will be looking for another job to fill your day? To me, that is a sad story, not my cup of tea.

Lastly, my wife supports my hobby fully and is my personal "realism" adviser, I guess you could say. She checks my work for realistic tones and shadows, highlights, etc.; does it look real or not? She's gotten pretty good at it over the years, so she's a keeper!;)

Regardless of our individual philosophies on this subject, it sure is one heck of a hootin ditty of a time! Wouldn't yall agree?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I can meet fantastic beasts just under my feet, spend many hours trying to remember where the h**k did I put that small but absolutely unreplaceable piece and concluding that it's now where those fantastic beasts live (I'm talking about the carpet monster, of course ;)), get high on TET, get my hands skin cracked by the airbrush cleaner (the protective gloves are just there, on the cupboard, but why wasting 10 seconds? :smiling4:) and my fingers stuck by superglue (see previous parenthesis...:thinking:), fight against a sputtering airbrush or a loaded brush falling from my clumsy hand down in the middle of an already painted surface or on transparencies, then find that that unreplaceable small part you thought lost forever has been sticking from your sweater arm since last month (this will not reduce the blame on carpet monsters, anyway ;) ). Then I realize it's lunch or dinner time and that I really enjoyed my time at the bench. :cool::smiling3:
It's relaxing, ...really!:tongue-out3:
The shelf is just a reminder of my mistakes, which would become really useful if I only could understand the difference between a lesson individuated and a lesson learned :nerd::tongue-out3:
I usually buy the kits I like, tanks, aircrafts or figures without a specific theme; they must hit my attention for any reason, even the less poetic one (size, already available paints or an encouraging price :money-face:;)) and sometimes I buy tools which are doomed to get old and unused in a drawer, but they look so, so cool! :cool:
And it's fun!... really! :tongue-out3:
Andrea
I almost 100% echo Andrea's comments. I've only been doing this for a year, only 5 kits under the belt but I read so much of what I enjoy in Andrea's comments. I am developing into a bit of a rotary wing builder, I like them, probably because that's my comfort zone. I did enjoy the one tank I built, even the tracks!!! (Does that make me weird?)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Hi Miko
Interesting topic :thumb2:

Isn't it just! Ha!

Interestingly, lately I’ve been looking at vintage kits with the aim of detailing them up to modern standards. I think the reason for this is part nostalgia and partly the challenge.

The hallmarks of a proper modeler, what's in the box is just a suggestion and not a empirical directive!

I‘m beginning to feel that some of the challenge of model making is lacking in modern kits and techniques. It feels a bit shake and bake.

Yep, I know what you mean, modern kits are the pinnacle of molding technology, super clever stuff I'm grateful for but like you say it lack the challenge of classic kits

I’m not knocking new kits, God knows I’ve spent enough money them, but sometimes you need a kit you can really add your skills to

Amen brother!

. With this in mind, I’ve recently purchased the venerable 1/24 Airfix 109E. It lacks wheels wells, the cockpit needs serious work, the exhausts are moulded with the fuselage… the list goes on. But I lusted after this kit as a kid and, now that I have it, I want to see what can be done with it. I also have the Stuka which, by all accounts, is still the more accurate kit when compared to the modern Trumpeter kit.

Kit inaccuracy scratch building and after market parts is a whole can of worms I'll leave closed for the purpose of this thread despite being the essence of the modelling philosophy of some

I don’t think I have one philosophy when it comes to builds but I do think they follow a logic (of sorts).

Cheers
Paul

Thanks for your input

Miko

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I built kits as a kid based on the "Cor! Look at the size of that!" lol. So a rather eclectic collection.

I used to be a bit like that, but the stash out grew the house! So stash control became a priority, hence my modelling philosophy

I discovered girls and beer, not sure of the order.

Yep, the both look smell and taste great, also overly expensive! Ha!

A Kitty Hawk ´Jaguar that I dropped after a month of fighting to get parts to fit. Gave up on that as to damaged to fix well.
My Lynx mkI Royal Marine Taxi that I stupidly pulled of the shelve sending it to a nose dive onto the hardwood floor. Almost as many, if not more parts that the original kit. Heart broken, that to was binned. (Rather liked that one).
There has been a couple of Aircraft that where "could do better" so I binned those too and re built them....

I really don't like binning kits, not just economically but it's like admitting defeat! The only kit that comes to mind that got the better of me was a German night fighter, I can't remember the kit of aircraft type except it was a twin and had an antenna array on it's nose, my ham fisted attempts to fit these fiddly little spindly aerials meant I kept breaking them, I'd fix one and break another, eventually the morass of tube glue and bits of aerial sticking out of it at odd angles had me launch it at the wall and a scale velocity that must have been very near supersonic! After a moment to recompose myself had me sobbing in frustration! I suppose I would have been about eleven at the time. since then, patience is my greatest virtue and have a 'Zen' approach to kit assembly, which may go someway to reason why I build a lot of Japanese subject!

Miko (the trauma of the experience also put me off building WWII German types, I can't think of one I've bought since??)

[although I do have a rare foray into1/48 in the stash namely a Ju87 Stuka, but this is for a wacky 'what if' that destroys the menacing sinister reputation of that particular Nazi dive bomber, more on this later????]

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Miko, you took us for a deep dive, great topic, lots of great thoughts in there.

Hell yeah! Ha!

Remember when we were all young lads and lassies and how our imagination could soar? I think that has a lot to do with why we still play with models. The creativity is limitless if you have the imagination to make it happen, and that is very cool.

That seems lacking in most of the kids today, all the thinking and creativity is done for them! However, I digress. . .

Since I retired 5yrs ago I've been trying to remain consistent and reach my personal painting goals, something I swore to myself I would do when work was no longer an issue. So far, so good. I've ended the kit buying spree for now, too many kits and we won't be here forever.

I too have convinced myself that every addition to the stash will see me in good stead for those long days of retirement

One thing is for sure, building models keeps our brain, eyes, and hands active and every one of us has heard of those who've retired and passed on not long afterwards. They either didn't have a hobby or they were not active, imo.

This is a philosophy we 'all' would be wise to adopt

I must add that in my line of work mandatory retirement was age 57. Who was I to argue; twist my arm and kick me out the door! HA!

Interesting? where you a NASA test pilot perchance???

So, if you don't have a hobby or some fun activity to keep you going you will be looking for another job to fill your day? To me, that is a sad story, not my cup of tea.

Yep, I would say there's an even split between those who agree and those who don't, me? a part time job would get me out of the house to meet new and interesting people, as for tea, I'm English, it's in my blood!
Lastly, my wife supports my hobby fully and is my personal "realism" adviser, I guess you could say. She checks my work for realistic tones and shadows, highlights, etc.; does it look real or not? She's gotten pretty good at it over the years, so she's a keeper!;)

You sure do have a keeper, if you'd like to trade for my slightly mocking but good natured humorous and generally affectionate missus, please DM me details, vital statistic and a recent photo so we can arrange a swap! Ha!
Regardless of our individual philosophies on this subject, it sure is one heck of a hootin ditty of a time! Wouldn't yall agree?

a hootin ditty of what now?

Miko (philosophical today)

Steve Ski

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hell yeah! Ha!

Interesting? where you a NASA test pilot perchance???

You sure do have a keeper, if you'd like to trade for my slightly mocking but good natured humorous and generally affectionate missus, please DM me details, vital statistic and a recent photo so we can arrange a swap! Ha!

a hootin ditty of what now?

Miko (philosophical today)
Lol, too funny:smiling5: Ok, not exactly, but being a NASA test pilot would have been my dream job. I was a professional Rugby player for 22yrs.,.................Fed LEO. They run, we Ruck Over, HA! Where else could a guy be given a 4x4 for a company ride and get paid to play Rugby everyday? I can think of no other. I'll keep it a mystery and let you figure that one out.:cool:

No trade, sorry, like I said, she's a keeper. Why would I want to have to train another one all over again? Sheesh:anguished::smiling5::smiling6::tears-of-joy:

Hootin Ditty, I'm told, is South Georgia slag for a good time. Kinda like a shin-dig, but Georgia style. I recon the pig roast and moonshine would be mandatory. My former co-worker got me hooked on that phrase, and he had a serious southern drawl, so you can imagine how that sounded.

Your philosophy is sound, Miko! Ruck On, Bby!;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hooting’ Ditty sounds like an adulterisation of the better known Hootenany…..