Normandy Bocage diorama

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ouch. I bet that even Billy Connolly would have come second in the profanity contest that followed.
I hope you take the challenge and get on it again.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm giving it a go guys. Typically there is not much left to do on it so hopefully i can get it finished soon. Then i can concentrate on building the vehicles and figures.

And yes Ian. The swear jar had to be replaced with a swear bucket

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Have heart Alan, it'll come together. When I screwed up the 10ton wrecker I had to relabel the wife's job barrel.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If i'm honest i nearly binned it. I was ready to take off the remaining bushes, trees and fence to reuse them on a new Bocage dio. Mostly because i've learned SO much making this dio from it's first concept to where it is now. I've done things in the wrong order and rushed ahead with some things rather than taking the time to get some basics right.

But i'm going to go with it for now. It'll still be decent enough to be a backdrop for some of the builds i have planned.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Bet the air was blue. Definitely worth a deep breath and carry on. It was looking so good.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Attaboy Alan, my philosophy is if it's broken just remind myself that when it first was in concept it was in pieces so I will repair it and correct the areas I had passed before.

Cheers,
Wabble

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andy. Love the expression on the left hand guy….

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Had a little spray bottle in the back of a draw and remember that it gave a fine mist when spraying. So thought that i would dilute some pva in warm water and see if i could mist the glue back onto the branches so i could reapply the leaves.

Seems to have worked a treat. Only tried it on a small section and will see if the leaves stick enough tomorrow when dried. But for now you can see that it has stuck the leaves at the bottom of the tree where as the top of the tree is still bare (ish) from where they fell off last time with the cheap glue.

If this way works i can see myself using it more often. For the sake of £1 it''s worth a bash.

IMG_2914.JPGIMG_2915.JPG

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Al

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the base. Pleased to hear that you have not given up though.

The figures are very good . Particularly like the face on the 2nd one!

ATB

Andrew

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Looking great Alan, it would appear that there is always a work around for every roadblock, well done for attacking it again.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Really cool work indeed! I think dioramas really add something to a model. I've not done one myself but maybe one day.
(well, upon thinking about it, I did do some dioramas back in the 70's but they came with the kit, not sure of the make, maybe matchbox? but you'd get like a tank and a small diorama to put it on which was like some rubble or a broken wall etc. quite cool back in the day but very simplistic)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Figures looking great. I do hope the new spray idea works. Looks as if it has done so far.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have a couple of those pump bottles for the same purpose (and one with IPA to break the surface tension in basing materials)

I do find the diluted pva one clogs up quite easily though, so it gets a good pump through with warm water after use.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I do find the diluted pva one clogs up quite easily though, so it gets a good pump through with warm water after use.

Yes it did clog up at first but i changed to mixing the pva in warm water and it seemed to sort it out. And yes i used warm water to clean through after too.