Painting the Berlin Brigade cammo on my Chieftain Tank.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Specially for Dave (gern) and before the model disappears into the Scale model vaults, here is a brief description of how I painted my Chieftain tank....

I forgot to take pictures of a couple of stages 'cos I was getting a bit excited, sorry!

I painted, weathered the wheels and tracks then fitted these first. We all have a good idea how this is done, so I will bypass that bit.

I decided to leave off all the bits to make for easier painting.

By way of a trial run and on the most difficult contour on the tank, I chose a square and masked it off, then started painting the blue...Absolute mess. I found it impossible to get the tape to dig into the contours, so I ripped it off, it was only then I decided I would have to try and do it completely free hand...How anyone can successfully mask this cammo scheme and use an a.b. without the paint going where it shouldn't I don't know, particularily as it has to be hard edged. I'm sure it can be done, but what a ball ache!

Anyway, after priming, I used a size 4 flat head brush and gave the whole model two coats of Matt White Vallejo Model Colour. Always remember the golden rule for any paint application....Light colours first!

Then, using pictures of the cammo and using a 2H pencil, I lightly drew lines where the different coloured panels were to go and wrote either BR. or B (Brown or Blue) in the 'boxes'

With a size two flat head brush I first painted the blue boxes in a watered down mixture to make sure I had the right colour in the right box before applying the real colour! When satisfied it was o.k. I applied the final blue/grey colour.

I used the same method with the brown.

The next step was to fix the bits and bobs to the model and paint these whatever colour was required with a 00 fine point brush.

The decals were added and then I weathered the whole model.

Not very informative I know.....The best advise I can give for brush painting lines free hand is:-

Use a soft pencil, 2B is fine. The paint will easily cover the lines...Never use a biro or felt tip, it is virtually impossible to cover these marks.

Use good quality brushes.

Alway keep the brush well loaded with paint.

Don't try and do the job in one coat. Thin your paint and do it in two or even three coats if required.

Paint your lines in one go....don't stroke the paint along the guide lines, it will always be wobbly!

Never hold your breath, your hands will wobble. Also, if the line is over 24" long, you will die.

Don't worry if your lighter paint goes over the lines a bit, your final darkest colour will sort that out. You have to get this one spot on and paint right to the lines.

Finally, I used a 000 fine point brush to touch up where I missed or not quite right. (Usually in the right angle corners of the 'Boxes)

Above all, and in case you have forgotten...Light colours first! Dark is easy to cover light, but try the other way round...

That's it really. I hope this has been of some use to someone.

I am sorry the pictures are not in line to go with the wording, but I don't know how to type words between pictures.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 46881

View attachment 46882

View attachment 46883

View attachment 46884

View attachment 46885

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 005.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 001.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 002.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 003.jpg

Chieftain Tank Berlin Brigade 004.jpg

C

CDW

i just read out the part about not painting a line over two feet long to my other half, I'm managing to post this through tear stained eyes as we've only just stopped giggling like a couple of school kids :smiling3:

the tutorial weren't bad either mate. thanks for taking the time to post it all up.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Colin, I trust neither of you had an 'Accident' after reading that bit!!!!

Ron

C

CDW

Nope we're both fine but next time you pop a gem in like that can we have some warning so we can put our "Special Pants" on ... :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Ron. You make it all look and sound so deceptively simple.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thanks Ron. You make it all look and sound so deceptively simple. Gern
No problem Dave, i'm just sorry it's not very descriptive nor particularily helpful........It's just very difficult to explain a method for doing something via a keyboard!

I just hope you have managed to extract something from my blitherings.

Take care,

Ron

A

andygh

I really like this camo, I want one now :thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking, What references did you use Ron?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I really like this camo, I want one now :thumbsup:If you don't mind me asking, What references did you use Ron?
My pleasure Andy, glad to help.....I just went on google images, there are a few pictures on there, so take your pick.

You will find there are slight anomalies mind!

Good luck, it will be interesting to see someone else have a go at this one pig of a cammo......

Keep us posted.

Ron