Reaching the Limit?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ever since I started with 3D printing, I'd hoped I'd be able to produce CAD models for figures etc. After a lot of attempts with Fusion & FreeCad, I've decided to stop that - I have designed hundreds of mechanical components, with the emphasis on function and cost - but anything that has an artistic touch - forget it!!!!!!
I've bitten the bullet & bought a few figure files from https://www.myminifactory.com/ and am trying to get the best possible results from my printer..................................
This model is a bust of a Templar Knight, with a great helm ( why Templar specifically, I don't know ) This is how the bust looks in the slicer
slicer.jpg
There is also a stand for him to sit on. The Great Helm is a separate print.
I used the latest version of PrusaSlicer - 2.8.0, at a layer height of 0.075mm - I don't think that going to a thinner layer height will do anything, unless I decrease the nozzle size. It took 9hrs 45mins to print, using my standard Geeetech Silver PLA.bust  01.jpgbust 02.jpgbust 03.jpgbust 04.jpg
This is 1/6 scale, the bust stands about 120mm tall...........................
I'm very pleased with this - the definition is amost on a par with resin printing, the chain mail on the back of his head is especially good. - Now I have a problem! If I put the Helm on, it covers all the fine detail ! I will probably try to paint this, but I'll think on that . The only problem I had was with the stand - the base warped slightly & is a bit wonky - I'll have to print another.
Two other files I bought were
centurion.jpgstandard bearer.jpg
This feller has arms to carry an Imperial Eagle. These are very detailed models, and are predicted to take over 36 hours to print each. I'll have to see if I can reduce that time......................
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
You really are nailing this 3D printing business Dave.

That really is looking very good indeed!

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My that's good, impressive to say the least.

Some how frightening to think this can be printed at home. Who would have thought that 10 years ago , maybe even 5 .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
My that's good, impressive to say the least.

Some how frightening to think this can be printed at home. Who would have thought that 10 years ago , maybe even 5 .
WELL John in my opinion Dave had plenty of practise as i could not learn how to do this in a lifetime so good on him for havin been succsefull
chrisb

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It's not something for the impatient, you have to be methodical, and be able to work out what is going on. Last year I was still getting used to the physical operation, and being able to produce scceptable results. I've sorted the bed levelling, and print adhesion, and now have few failures that way. Using one make of PLA helps to remove one variable. I'm confident to leave the printer on overnight sessions.
This year I've been working on the quality - it can be one step forward, two steps back. There are so many variables, and altering one can affect several others - which can have unexpected results. Using one slicer programme & getting to know it is essential - I don't think it really matters which one, but I use PrusaSlicer, and I know where the major settings live.
All this only applies to FDM printing, of course - I'd love to go down the resin printing route, but don't have the facilities...............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
An overnight print - it took 12 hours to print - an aquilifer, or eagle bearer
DSCF4906.JPG
DSCF4907.JPG
It needs a brass wire brush to remove any loose bits
DSCF4902.JPGDSCF4903.JPGDSCF4904.JPG
The lion's fangs were a casualty, but easily replaced.
There are the arms to print, one with a socketed staff - and the Eagle, which I may have to have several attempts, as it looks a little fragile
eagle.jpg
It may be a few days before I print again, I'm off to hospital tomorrow for a few tests....................
Dave