Steve's 1/72 Italeri Horsa Glider

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So, after a bit of to and fro, I’ve decided to go for this one.

My subject will be a Horsa glider PF800, glider No.1, but chalk number ‘91’, which delivered Major Howard (commander of the coup de main force) and the members of No.25 Platoon (designated as No.1 Platoon for the duration of the operation) of D Company, 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, commanded by Lt. Brotheridge, to assault and capture the bridge at Benouville.

You can’t get more D-Day than that.

PF800 was towed by a Halifax V, LL355, code letter G, flown by Wing Commander Duder. I had thought to do some kind of vignette showing the two aircraft, but discretion, and no easy option for the Halifax, got the better part of valour.

The extraordinary feat of Howard and his men is well known, as is the tragic loss of Brotheridge. I wanted to throw some light on incredible flying of the men of the Glider Pilot Regiment, particularly Staff-Sergeants Jim Wallwork and John Ainsworth, who flew Howard, Brotheridge and their men to within about fifty metres of their objective.

Traditional picture of box and bits:

P1010921.JPG

I've made a start on the cockpit. I won't be using the paratroopers, as I've an idea to pose this in flight. That means converting a couple of what I think might be US pilots to glider pilots, and doing something with the flaps, which are moulded shut on this kit. One bridge at a time :smiling3:

P1010922.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So, after a bit of to and fro, I’ve decided to go for this one.

My subject will be a Horsa glider PF800, glider No.1, but chalk number ‘91’, which delivered Major Howard (commander of the coup de main force) and the members of No.25 Platoon (designated as No.1 Platoon for the duration of the operation) of D Company, 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, commanded by Lt. Brotheridge, to assault and capture the bridge at Benouville.

You can’t get more D-Day than that.

PF800 was towed by a Halifax V, LL355, code letter G, flown by Wing Commander Duder. I had thought to do some kind of vignette showing the two aircraft, but discretion, and no easy option for the Halifax, got the better part of valour.

The extraordinary feat of Howard and his men is well known, as is the tragic loss of Brotheridge. I wanted to throw some light on incredible flying of the men of the Glider Pilot Regiment, particularly Staff-Sergeants Jim Wallwork and John Ainsworth, who flew Howard, Brotheridge and their men to within about fifty metres of their objective.

Traditional picture of box and bits:

View attachment 512876
One bridge at a time :smiling3:

View attachment 512877

Don't get going 'A Bridge Too Far' Steve. That's a whole different movie!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looking forward to watching you build this Steve, intrigued to see what you’re planning :thinking:

Good luck with the build :thumb2:

Geoff.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm posting today's progress, as I'm going to be covering an old mate at work for the next few days, while he's a bit poorly and therefore dragging me out of my semi-retirement the b*stard.

I've made a start on converting the Americans into Jim and John, the glider pilots, and have pretty much built the fairly minimal cockpit. I'm crap at figures, and 1/72 are a bit small for me. All I really want is to represent someone flying the glider. I'm not sure how much will be visible anyway.

prog_1.jpg

So, hitting 'pause' for a few days. Back soon.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Joining the party Steve!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice steve , cant wait to see the scene come to life , cheers tony