Welcome to Geoff’s D-Day 80th Anniversary tribute chat thread.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I’m away on holiday this week so won’t be able to start until I get back next week.

Bad planning which would not have been tolerated on D-Day :flushed:

Thought I would share what I intend to start with though.

IMG_3429.jpeg

I’m going to build the “Tiffie” as in my mind it is one of the icons of D-Day and the Normandy campaign.

This is the Airfix club edition of their 2013 tooling but is done in the newer type plastic they now seemed to have switched to.
More later when I start the build thread :thumb2:

Geoff.

Attachments

• IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So, I was perusing t’interweb, seeking inspiration, and saw this.

Horsa Jeep.jpg

I can do that I thought, in a moment of unhinged optimism.

It turns out that the kits to do this, or something similar, are available and I’ve only gone and bought them, haven’t I.

Horsa.jpg

Apparently, this Horsa kit is not the best, but it can be beaten into submission. AS for the Jeep, it comes with paints and glue I won't use, though I know a seven year old who will take the paints off my hands to paint the plaster of Paris dog poos he seems to enjoy making :smiling3:

Jeep.jpg

I don’t fancy my glider infantry in action, so may ditch the figures that come with the glider. I was checking out the seller that Tony linked to (for his BoB aircrew waiting for a scramble in the Hurricane GB) and found figures for exactly this idea. Less than a tenner, so I bought them – what could possibly go wrong?

paras.jpg

The only things I’ll have to make myself are the ramps for the Jeep, and maybe some missing detail around the Horsa door.

Anyway, I’m now all set for this GB and will get going as soon after the start date as I can.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wow! Two things jump out at me. Those struts under the door aren’t exactly huge are they….and how on earth did they get the jeep to turn into the fuselage…..it will look great as a dio though….

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Apparently, this Horsa kit is not the best
Not like you have much choice if you want one in 1:72, of course :smiling3:

how on earth did they get the jeep to turn into the fuselage
I suspect with great difficulty, given that the Horsa Mk. II deleted the side door but had a hinged cockpit and detachable tail instead :smiling3: (I built one like that years ago as a wargames model. Magnetised rear fuselage, cockpit on a small hinge, and no undercarriage.)