ZSU-23-4M "SHILKA" ZVEZDA 1/35

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Won't go in to the whys and where 's of how the build came about thats all on the whats on the bench bit. So a ebay grab for twelve quid
20240620_093753.jpg
Sorry no sprue shots but a bit unnecessary and boring really ,didn't build up half bad worst being the l+l tracks they were OK but rear drive sprocket teeth were wider than the holes in the track id tried to build so I could remove for painting but ended up cutting the inside teeth off the sprocket where needed worked ot fine could remove for painting same on the other side but something else went wrong so sod it built both sides finished.
So squirted some primer at it mig one shot straight from bottle no thinning about 18/20 psi personally I like this stuff pretty fool proof
20240616_175521-1.jpg
Just followed instructions I think it gives a good finish.
Next put some highlight colour down
20240618_100941-1.jpg
Mig paint (yellow cap stuff) once again straight from bottle no thinning coz it says you can bit of tip drying but a paint brush and water only takes seconds to clean off puff some air through and your going again .
Next up "show it the green "
20240618_135054-1.jpg
20240618_135233.jpg
This was mig paints again from the little 4 bottle set of post ww2/cold war?colours base green i think ,this was thinned using mig transparator making your paint more translucent works for me bit shiny its a satin finish didn't know they do a flat one as well.
Right then you know me mr mono tone but sod it kit was cheap talking of cheap didn't have the correct sandy colour so after masking up with science putty cheaper than panzer putty filled in with dunkel something or other from the new mig atom paints ,once again straight from bottle coz it says you can though I will thin a bit the next time I use20240618_200656.jpg20240618_200620-1.jpg
Have since blocked in wheel rubbers and tracks ready for the off.
So made a start on the turret have probably got over involved but hey I'll stick with it
20240621_212031.jpg
20240621_212231.jpg
20240621_212239.jpg
20240621_212638.jpg
So thats where it is at the mo. Dave

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
And it's looking great Dave, fantastic paint job, and the weathering really sets it off.

Reactions: JR

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Not my thing but beautifully executed, nice for a layman to see the various paint layers and shading.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's brilliant Dave! Very well done indeed!

ATB

Andrew

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Great work with the colouring in Dave…. Look forward to seeing more :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Great Job Dave! This Shilka turns out really well!

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
And it's looking great Dave, fantastic paint job, and the weathering really sets it off.
Lovely job Dave
Jon.
Not my thing but beautifully executed, nice for a layman to see the various paint layers and shading.
That's brilliant Dave! Very well done indeed!

ATB

Andrew
Great work with the colouring in Dave…. Look forward to seeing more :thumb2:
Great Job Dave! This Shilka turns out really well!
Thank you one and all the encouragement goes a long way helping to keep intrest ,I've kept it all basic half the paint I didn't even thin says you can use from the bottle I think sometimes we drag ourselves in and over think the whole thing as I said probably got too involved with the weathering but can see what I've achieved so far it is like a house brick though compared to my usual 72nd but hoping to take some of what I've learnt here down to that scale once again thanks for your encouragement. Dave
Hello Mr Heptonstall we don't see you around very often thanks for looking in.
Si :thumb2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
First things first I still haven't touched the wheels and tracks they seem a long way off yet ,have been plodding on if and when ,hoping ive managed to keep the method the same all-around . Still miles to go its a big canvas.
So diffrent side's but bit of a before and getting there
20240627_191210.jpg after ish
20240627_190920.jpg
And some so near but so far
20240627_191911.jpg
20240627_191427-1.jpg
20240627_191603.jpg
20240627_191617.jpg
Its big but were getting there...........
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bl**dy hell, that's nice, love the weathering Dave, those downward shots looked real !

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's an excellent piece of work Dave. I've always had a yen to make one of those!
Steve

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Dave, I see there is a problem with your sand paint, some of it has come out in green stripes....
Just kidding, a brilliant piece of work and the camo looks spot on. Is that a wash, if so it has done the job.
Do not worry about matching up each side - as an old car salesman told me once - the customer cannot see both sides at once....
More Please....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is excellent Dave. The paint job and the weathering is spot on. Just goes to show that with only a little amount of money but a great amount of skill you can produce a model to be proud of.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
I don't know diddly squat about the subject matter but can appreciate a beautifully built, painted and weathered model. There is something about that build that really appeals.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lovely job Dave :thumb2:
Bl**dy hell, that's nice, love the weathering Dave, those downward shots looked real !
Nice work Dave.
That's an excellent piece of work Dave. I've always had a yen to make one of those!
Steve
Dave, I see there is a problem with your sand paint, some of it has come out in green stripes....
Just kidding, a brilliant piece of work and the camo looks spot on. Is that a wash, if so it has done the job.
Do not worry about matching up each side - as an old car salesman told me once - the customer cannot see both sides at once....
More Please....
That is excellent Dave. The paint job and the weathering is spot on. Just goes to show that with only a little amount of money but a great amount of skill you can produce a model to be proud of.
I don't know diddly squat about the subject matter but can appreciate a beautifully built, painted and weathered model. There is something about that build that really appeals.
Thank you all for taking time to add to this little build it does help get towards the finish line ,there's still a long way to go but I think we're stay the course because I'm enjoying the whole thing /process so far ,as I said at twelve squid wasn't that bothered if it went in the recycling bin or the bride to be shelf , but and I'm sure this has made a difference there's no mental restraint on this build I havent got a pension busting forty fifty sixty quid and the rest bit of plastic in front of me this has been in the stash for a few years grabbed at the right time and place off of ebay. Most will know I'm a bit mr monotone so the bi/tonal was if I'm honest a big step outside my comfort zone ,even though I say so myself I was really pleased with it after showing it the green ,using the airbrush at this scale is quite liberating made me feel a lot more at ease with the bloody thing even after many years their still a enigma to me ive never fully tamed the art of airbrushing. I do suffer from anty pants and will confess it went previous day I primed next morning put the pre highlights down on this and another build ,time for coffee and biscuits ,came back put down the green coat ,switched to 4BO laid down the other build ,lunch time so a quick buttie more coffee returned to admire my handie work at this point the lack of mental restraint cut in so masked up with the old sience putty and filled in with the sandy colour (mental restraint thing again this was the closest I had to the colour destructions/colour pic in the kit) flushed through the air brush peeled off the masking hey hey job done all before three in the afternoon.
For thoes that are interested the whole thing was given a filter coat of mig brown for tri tonal work this was the mig one not the ammo mig this I always thin (low odour white spirit it cheap)to about ninty five white spirit five filter this might take more than one coat to calm and tie the whole thing down where I want it to be but you don't get the horrible pooling effects around the raised detail ,all the little paint defects/ marks/stains were applied by brush colours/shades made up on the fly as I went. All other weathering has been done with a dark brown mig oil brusher doing my own oil dot shadey blendey thing ,sorry anty pants time again 6.37am must put some cloths on and get to asda and grab the shopping before the bbq hoards arrive . Thanks again all for your help and encouragement hope enjoy my ramblings rather than the usual stuff and if it makes you smile job done . Dave