1/12 2010 GT500 Shelby (Oh no not another one I hear you cry! )

First Name
Dave
Just thought I would share my most recent build with you all on here, this is second only car build (my first one was the orange 68 dodge charger elsewhere on here). Its my first large scale model and certainly doesn't match up to the standards of kpnuts build on here!

Anyway, here are some pics of it so far, let me know what you think.

(Body shell is being prepped ready for paint, did it first with gloss black humbrol enamel, turned out awful, stripped with brake fluid, reprimed and ready for Ford Melina blue from a rattle can. Will post pics soon)

View attachment 122031

View attachment 122032

View attachment 122033

View attachment 122034

View attachment 122035

View attachment 122036

View attachment 122037

View attachment 122038

View attachment 122039

20150920_170751-1.jpg

20150924_082046-1.jpg

20150924_082015-1.jpg

20150924_082241.jpg

20151006_153041.jpg

20151006_153119.jpg

20151006_153226.jpg

20151006_153324.jpg

20151006_153338.jpg

First Name
Marc
Humbrol enamel isnt fantastic for large areas especially bodywork. If you are going to use enamel for body use matt colours only, rub down between coats and apply a gloss coat once fully dry. Even then the paint doesn't really hold up. Especially whites as my golf gti its starting to go yellow. And it can take months to fully harden. It attracts dust easily when wet as its sticky like tack paper.

Its best for detail work, engine covers etc. You can also texture enamel easier like mimicking carpet or leather. Its hard wearing compaired to acrylics.

Zero paints is alot easier to apply, and is more akin to automotive paint which is more forgiving and lays down better. Its quite nasty fumes though so you need extraction and a good mask. Im switching fully over to zero paints for all bodywork painting im that impressed with it.

P

Plastickitbasher

Looking good so far, kudos for having a go at a large kit

D

Deleted member 3568

What on earth do you mean, not upto my standards, it far and away surpasses mine, I wish mine were half as good, don't you dare knock what looks to be a great build so far, keep it up, looking the dogs dangly bits.

D

dougie

Awesome looking work. Well done mate.

\ said:
What on earth do you mean, not upto my standards, it far and away surpasses mine, I wish mine were half as good, don't you dare knock what looks to be a great build so far, keep it up, looking the dogs dangly bits.
You could slightly take the compliment ;) your builds are somewhat good :eek: ;)

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Humbrol enamel isnt fantastic for large areas especially bodywork. If you are going to use enamel for body use matt colours only, rub down between coats and apply a gloss coat once fully dry. Even then the paint doesn't really hold up. Especially whites as my golf gti its starting to go yellow. And it can take months to fully harden. It attracts dust easily when wet as its sticky like tack paper.
Its best for detail work, engine covers etc. You can also texture enamel easier like mimicking carpet or leather. Its hard wearing compaired to acrylics.

Zero paints is alot easier to apply, and is more akin to automotive paint which is more forgiving and lays down better. Its quite nasty fumes though so you need extraction and a good mask. Im switching fully over to zero paints for all bodywork painting im that impressed with it.
Thanks Marc for the advice, I've always used Humbrol enamels for the smaller bits without an issue and with the larger areas there was always an issue, I just thought that it was me or the airbrush or what I was thinning it with or the poor quality when production went to China, but you have given me an affirmation that it may be worth changing not necessarily to acrylic but to a different make of enamel, Zero paints appear to be the way forward, especially with the fact that they are matched to paint colours that the full size guys use.

Thank you once again, all the best, Dave

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks Ken that's praise indeed thank you.

I wouldn't say that mine surpasses yours, maybe we could agree as being equals amongst equals.

Thanks again for the praise and inspiration.

Dave

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
Please please Dave, don't make my brothers head to big otherwise it want get through he's front door it's bad enough especially when he is doing the 1/72 scale corvette under ships under construction. Must admit your build and my brothers build are looking really good keep it up you's 2 :P :D :D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Please please Dave, don't make my brothers head to big otherwise it want get through he's front door it's bad enough especially when he is doing the 1/72 scale corvette under ships under construction. Must admit your build and my brothers build are looking really good keep it up you's 2 :P :D :D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:p
Thanks James I will take your advice on board, after all we can't have two big heads both doing GT500's :smiling3:

Might go and gave quick look at his Corvette in a mo, I did one of those when they first came out under the matchbox banner, put 2 channel radio control in it (took that out of an old glider), put it on the lake sailed it for about 20 minutes and turned into a submarine after about 22 minutes, bloody thing sunk, I, in my youthful naivety didn't realise that I had to seal the propshaft. Ah well you learn from your mistakes!

First Name
Dave
Hi peeps, body shell has been sprayed with a rattle can and polished up with various grades of micromesh. Got to apply those dreaded stripes next, then a coat of kleer via an airbrush (never done this before). After that I will be doing all the blacky bits then the embellishments, headlights etc. Not far to go and then she's done!

Hope you like!

(Excuse the unrotated pic, dont yet know how to rotate it, its not like that before I uploaded it)

View attachment 122233

View attachment 122234

View attachment 122235

20151015_184908.jpg

20151015_184749.jpg

20151015_184924.jpg

First Name
Marc
Awww. Your both really good model builders. Now stop this silly behaviour and get upstairs and brush your teeth before bed. I want to see a good job done please you have school in the morning. :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

That paint job is dead easy to do mate, and it's not to everyone's taste, I've been told to strip that God damn awful paint job off, my answer to that type of remark is "its my model not yours" (personally I quite like it) anyone who knows how I build knows I hardly ever build as per instructions. Yours is deffo looking the business though.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
That paint job is dead easy to do mate, and it's not to everyone's taste, I've been told to strip that God damn awful paint job off, my answer to that type of remark is "its my model not yours" (personally I quite like it) anyone who knows how I build knows I hardly ever build as per instructions. Yours is deffo looking the business though.
I totally agree with you, if the end result or the journey towards the end result pleases you then it doesn't really matter whether it pleases all the others, it's just great that most on here appreciate other peoples work no matter what their experience level is.

I generally build OOB, very rarely do I add after market parts, not because I dont want to do it, its just I cant justify the cost. However, I do sometimes vary the build sequence, doing different sub assemblies in a different order sometimes makes more sense!

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
Managed to get the stripes on tonight, they were a tad tricky but not half as bad as I thought they would be. Proper planning, preparation, perseverance, ponderance, plotting, poking, purposefulness, prodding, playing and patience, prevented p@$$ poor performance. Perfection prevailed perhaps?!

Will post pics tomorrow, natural daylight is better for pics!