1/16 German officer pics

N

noble

Hi all here is a side project i've been messing with, it is Tamiya's 1/16 German officer, the uniform was painted in tamiya acrylics and the flesh tones were painted in oils. This was built primeraly in an aid to better my figure painting as i feel i can do much better in this area, so all comments welcome be they good or bad and any advice is more than welcome so i hope you like it.

scott

View attachment 36122

View attachment 36123

View attachment 36124

View attachment 36125

View attachment 36126

German officer 1.jpg

German officer 2.jpg

German officer 3.jpg

German officer 4.jpg

German officer 5.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Just a couple of points that may help, firstly the eyes look a bit startled, which I think is partly due to the white area being a bit large and secondly because you have used a very bright white. Toning the white down with a spot of beige or tan would help. Don't worry about the white being too big, we all struggle with eyes and that is precisely why I don't do figures bigger than 1/35th as I can get away with not doing them!

Next the highlights on the clothing looks a bit harsh and would have been a bit better if you could have blended it that bit more gently. Some figure painters use two or three levels of highlights and blend them on gently to give a much less contrasty effect and more of a gentle graduation. Even if you are using dry brushing you can use two different levels and do a soft effect slightly lighter then another one on top a little bit lighter.

Apart from that it's a cracking looking figure and you should be very proud of it. If you want to tone the eyes down a bit a clear coat with a spot of pigment in might help.

N

noble

Cheers Richard i've been waiting for someone to help me in my figure painting and this is a huge help, thanks for the comments these will be taken on board for future reference.

scott

B

Bunkerbarge

If you can improve on that Scott you are going to be producing some superb figures. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

B

backonthecase

Scott this is looking good - I'm in a fig painting rut too! See my "back to school" thread, but you seem to have taken the lead. I will agree with Richard's comments regarding the highlights. I used lightened field grey rather than a different colour and then blended it with a filter. Then after the filter had dried, painted it with thinner in an effort to "spread" the filter even further. I'm now stumped by the flesh tones, but I may just steal what you've done if that's ok as I like the face on this guy! Except mine's 1/35th... Damn!!

Good work

Stuart

S

Sky Raider

YouTube - ‪Kelly's Heroes - Oddball Needs a Bridge‬‏

Not sure if this will work but it is the clip to Stuarts quote. a classic clip from the film. lol.

Andy