1/24 Engines

Harris Shoerats

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
Hi Newbie Russell here.
Does anyone know of aftermarket complete engine units for 1/24 cars, I'm building the Tamiya Ford GT4 Mustang and would like to place a modern V8 unit beside it. I searched on 'net and always get the same results, not suitable, wrong lump, bad resin etc.
There must be something suitable out there?

Thanks Russ

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
There are a few 3d models ( digital files ) of engines @ https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/1-24-scale-engine-ford-shelby-cobra-427-v8 for example
You may also find them at shapeways , where its not just the file but a printed version that will get made for you.

A 1/24th printed v8

@

1694680327677.png

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've never used this guy but I've been following his Facebook page for a while. Stuff looks great but it's Stateside so shipping might be steep.

Harris Shoerats

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
ah, there's the rub

The import duty/shipping costs on items from the US are too high.

I ordered a Dice bag from someplace in Texas once and the shipping/duty cost doubled the price.

Thanks

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes, it's a shame he doesn't sell the print files as there's some tasty stuff on offer.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Harris Shoerats

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
There are free files available you just need to track them down - Thingiverse has a Shelby Cobra Mustang engine - this is in 1/24 - it's purerly a resin print! https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4429533
This YouTube Vid gives some idea of the work needed - it's a 1/64 Ford DFV V8, but the priniple is the same for a 1/24 model ( you need to
have the auto-translate on - it's Japanese )
Dave
Thank you Dave, I may just dip my toe into 3d Resin printing.
Got to convince the treasurer its worth it in the long term. Ha ha etc......

Jabba

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I've had the same problem trying to get some wheels sets in 1/24th. Practically anything I want is available in the USA, but with postage costs that are prohibitive. Its actually cheaper to buy a whole kit with decent , usable custom wheels and shelve the rest than to buy from elsewhere. The Foose Ford F100 by Revell is a case in point. It has a nice set of 5 spokes (and a nice engine) that could be used to upgrade another kit, but at a decent price. I'll probably end up with a shelf full of F100 bodies at this rate...

Harris Shoerats

SMF Supporter
First Name
Russell
Thanks for the Heads Up, Jabba. Its a different route to go down but it would solve the problem, as you say, it would probably be cheaper to get another kit and harvest the suitable bits. I can see a scrap yard diorama in the near future.