SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I’m calling this done.

Build here:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/stonas-spitfire-with-floats.29303/

I’ve made a little scene very loosely based on this well known image

View attachment 106240

My scene has Flt Lt ‘Willie’ Lindsay arriving at the floatplane base on Egypt’s Bitter Lake to see exactly what he has volunteered for. Lindsay was on a ‘rest’ tour at the Middle East Gunnery School at El Ballah, in Egypt, when he heard a call for Spitfire pilots to drop into the Adjutant’s office with details of hours on type. Lindsay thought this sounded interesting, so off he went. He was subsequently sent off to report to the station commander, Wing Commander Wilson MacDonald.

I’ll let him explain in his own words:

“My answers to some prepared questions seemed to satisfy the CO, who then said, “Lindsay, at this stage I am unable to tell you much about the operation you have volunteered for, but it will involve flying sea planes. Pack your shaving gear and a clean shirt and organise a Harvard for after lunch tomorrow when you will fly me to 107 Maintenance unit at Kasfareet on the Great Bitter Lake.” I was not aware that I had volunteered for anything, but the prospect of something new and different sounded interesting, and seaplanes at that.”

Here’s Lindsay and his future charge:

View attachment 106241

View attachment 106242

View attachment 106243

View attachment 106244

View attachment 106245

View attachment 106246

The sharp eyed will notice that the Spitfire is camouflaged in the Temperate Sea Scheme, which must have stuck out like a sore thumb in the desert. This is because the intention was for the float planes to operate from secret bases in the Greek islands, supported by radar equipped submarines, against Italian supply routes. The military situation prevented this ever happening. It was probably just as well. The floats leaked badly, not a problem when the aircraft could be hauled out onto a slipway (as in my scene) and the floats drained, but a rather more serious issue when operating off water permanently!

The Trumpeter kit, on which this is based went together nicely, but you can't make this float plane from the kit!

I had to use Xtracolor paints for the upper camouflage colours as my preferred Colourcoats are currently unavailable. They sprayed nicely and I'll use them again if I have to. They take a looong time to dry.

It was good fun, but I'm not sure I'll be building anything else in this scale anytime soon. The model is just too big :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

6092257503_27247c3001_b_zps7wykwnjz.jpg

PRQ_zpsuqgisiax.jpg

Port_zpsk2fwlgyw.jpg

PFQ_zps4syz1ehf.jpg

SRQ_zpsoxxtoxkd.jpg

Starboard_zpszafdtdgh.jpg

SFQ_zps04qyde08.jpg

First Name
Jason
Interesting subject and very nicely excecuted Steve.

Jason

L

Laurie

Immaculate as usual Steve and a very nice paint finish. I cheekily opened up picture one in my photo editor and the paint finish is superb. The camouflage edges although defined meet in a nice soft way. Very nice shading especially on the green.

Very nice setting giving a great authentic background. Love the character with the sand coloured trousers.

Laurie

P

Polux

What a great model, Steve.

Excellent paintwork, and as always, a very complet and instructive thread.

Is a great build!

Thank you very much for take part on the SSIG ;)

Polux

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb Steve, great subject and a quality build, as usual.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Every nice Steve and different the colour is very nice I like that :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I realised I forgot what I call the 'Ian M shot'. Ian likes an overhead shot, I think he has some weird thing for camouflage patterns :smiling3:

Anyway, here is said shot, without the full set up, as it's all packed away!

View attachment 106262

What a beautiful planform the Spitfire wing has.

Cheers

Steve

top_zpsi4begx0n.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yet another great subject roll out, or is it sail out?

Is it me or are the floats much larger than one would expect. It's not as if the spitfire was a huge airframe..

Excellent work Steve. And thanks for the over head shot! I just like to have a good overview so I can fully appreciate the painting of the camouflage. Which I can see is as immaculate as always...

IanM

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yet another great subject roll out, or is it sail out?
Is it me or are the floats much larger than one would expect. It's not as if the spitfire was a huge airframe..

Excellent work Steve. And thanks for the over head shot! I just like to have a good overview so I can fully appreciate the painting of the camouflage. Which I can see is as immaculate as always...

IanM
Not when you consider how choppy the sea can be Ian , one large wave or an updraft of air could lift it and capsize it if the surface area is too small :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A Spitfire V had a typical all up weight of around 6,500 lbs, without the floats. The floatplane also had a tendency to 'tramp' across the water on take off. I suppose the floats had to be buoyant enough to take all such factors into account.

Handling on the water was not great, particularly in a crosswind. On the Great Bitter Lake a launch was used to retrieve an aircraft after it had alighted (you don't land on water!) in anything above a light wind. This would have been another impractical procedure if the type had ever been sent on real operations.

Cheers

Steve

D

Doug Hughes

Really great build, Steve, and a nice bit of background. I'm glad you included the overhead shot, as I find a Spitfire with floats looks a bit of a monstrosity, so it's good to be reminded that the beautiful wing plan is still there!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautiful as always Steve. Is the oil drum at the back there to stop this becoming a 'nose sitter'?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks again.

Dave the model isn't a nose sitter, the weighted oil drum was used in Egypt as part of the tie down system.

View attachment 106276

It wasn't a requirement on the full size version as this picture of a floatplane sitting rather forlornly on Pembroke dock after returning to the UK shows.

View attachment 106277

Cheers

Steve

6092257503_27247c3001_b_web_zpsnflypewm.jpg

EP751_Pembroke_Dock_web_zpskwki24o7.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautifully built Steve , especially considering the surgery - it looks immaculate! Loving the little extras too ,I like the idea of an oil drum anchor! Great build , cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

It surprises me that you can take one of the most beautiful and iconic aircraft the world has ever seen and turn it into an absolute pig. I'm sure the handling in the air wasn't exactly improved either!

By the way Steve if you don't land on water then how do you land it?

Great model though, interesting and, as always, superbly finished.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Cracking Job Steve .......... Top Class stuff.