1/32 Aircraft recommendations

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I am now moving into 1/32 aircraft I just need to know whats out both good and the ones to avoid I already have a tamiya 1/32 tomcat and all the extras I can throw at it on the way.
Cheers and thanks Peter

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Wow, that’s a big question.

I have built well over 70 1/32 aircraft over the last 12 years or so.

What is right for you very much depends on what you want.

The 1/32 Tamiya Tomcat is an old kit that is not up to their later kits. I have not built it myself, choosing instead, the Trumpeter F14. Being Tamiya you should still find it a fun build.

As for other Tamiya 1/32 kits:
modern jets first;
The F15 is a good kit, again an old one but newer and better than the F14. With this be careful of a ridge on the top wing/fuselage join. Perhaps join the top wing to the fuselage before adding the lower wing.
The F4 is a good but old kick, again not one I have built.
The F16 is the best of a Tamiya’s 1/32 jets and has all the great fit and engineering we have come to expect from Tamiya.

Then we have their 1/32 scale WW2 warbirds. These are simply some of the best aircraft kits produced by any company in any scale. Tamiya have so far produced the following:
Mitsubishi Zero (two versions)
Supermarine Spitfire (three versions, Mk VIII, Mk IX and Mk XVI)
P51Mustang (three versions, a D, a D/K and a F51 Korean War bird)
Corsair (three versions including a birdcage and later versions)
Mosquito (one version, a fighter/bomber and an amazing kit)

Other brands to look out for:
Zoukei Mura - these are outstanding kits, though their later ones are better than the early ones. They have a unique engineering style that helps you understand how the original aircraft were constructed and the instructions are simply the best you can get. They have superb detail, right down to their ‘signature’ moulding in the pistons to the engine blocks, yes each in the correct position. A bit of a show-offy gimmick perhaps. I tend to build my models ‘closed up’ apart from canopies that I mostly prefer to be open to display detail but these offer all the internal structure and detail so you can have open panels. I do love these and have built several.

Kotare are worth a mention. They have just started releasing models starting with an outstanding Spitfire Mr1. These are the old Wingnut Wings team.

Hong King Models have produced some good kits in 1/32, notably a B17 G and F, a Lancaster as a Mk I/III, Grand Slam or Dambuster version, a B25, do335, A20 Havoc (Boston version about to come).

ICM, Italari, Trumpeter and Hobbyboss all produce interesting kits, many of them excellent.

Revell also produce in 1/32. I am not a big fan of theirs, even their newer ones. But they have produced a new Hurricane that’s pretty good and their AR196 is very good as well.

There are others who produce in 1/32 but the above are the most notable.

A few pics of some of my 1/32s.

Zoukei Mura Raiden and Ta152
IMG_6739.jpeg
IMG_0586.jpeg

Trumpeter P47, Avenger, Dauntless, and Swordfish IMG_4094.jpeg
IMG_0467.jpeg
IMG_3205.jpeg
IMG_3176.jpeg

ICM Gladiator and I-16
IMG_2843.jpeg
IMG_3764.jpeg

Tamiya F16, Mosquito, Corsair, Mustang, Zero and Spitfire the Corsair is a conversion to an FAA clipped wing bird.
IMG_1575.jpeg
IMG_0997.jpeg
IMG_2715.jpeg
IMG_2504.jpeg
IMG_2312.jpeg
IMG_1962.jpeg

Hobbyboss Sturmovik
IMG_0686.jpeg

A few of my favourites Peter. Enjoy manscale.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I have very little experience with 1/32 aircraft, but I will recommend that you don't buy the Revell Mosquito, however cheap!
Pete

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Crikey thanks for your input I an currently drawn to trumpeter ee lighting and p38 but I will see how I get on with tomcat
The EE Lightening has some poor reviews, do Google them. Shape issues included. The P38 is a nice kit, look at my build.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I am now moving into 1/32 aircraft I just need to know whats out both good and the ones to avoid I already have a tamiya 1/32 tomcat and all the extras I can throw at it on the way.
Cheers and thanks Peter
WELL Peter while im waiting to get tiger back to the pond in 6 months i have an was goin to build my super tomcat in 1/32 scale but if you are goin to do one then i'll stand back an let you do yours as i can then see the pitfalls an learn from you on how to build mine but it would be nice to see you do the e/e lightnig as ive always loverd that plane as its been a good part of my younger life
atb
chrisb

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
The EE Lightening has some poor reviews, do Google them. Shape issues included. The P38 is a nice kit, look at my build.
I just needed to look at one review and that's saved me a lot of money one to avoid me thinks

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Now I've done it I have just ordered a hk models 1/32 Lancaster
WOW Peter whats that the lanc with full interioa ? costin 600 quid ?
an will you be goin to finish that big enterprise ? as i would love to see that finished fantastic model that is
chrisb

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
an will you be goin to finish that big enterprise ? as i would love to see that finished fantastic model that is
chrisb
I don't think it's the full interior as it's only cost £300 and as for the enterprise watch this space

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I just needed to look at one review and that's saved me a lot of money one to avoid me thinks
AN Peter what was the review like about the big 1/32 E/E LIGHTNING as i would love to build one in that scale an a mk 6 as ive built the 1/48th E/E LIGHTNING an that turned out very good but was not a mk 6
chrisb
I don't think it's the full interior as it's only cost £300 and as for the enterprise watch this space
OK Peter im watchin this space waiting an could you tell me about that lightining ?
chrisb

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
chrisb
It’s not the HKM that’s £600,‘that’s the Border Models Lanc (which will be my next build). The HKM 1/32 Lanc is ‘only’ about £350.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It’s not the HKM that’s £600,‘that’s the Border Models Lanc (which will be my next build). The HKM 1/32 Lanc is ‘only’ about £350.
CHEERS for that info Barry :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
chrisb