1/32 Albatros W.4 (late) Floaty Conversion

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Glad to hear you haven't melted away completely me old mate. Sounds like a good excuse to drink some cold ones, purely for medicinal purposes you understand.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Most excellent scratching of them springy things. And the flappy bits on the wings look great too.
All done in oven like temperatures - you're my kind of moggler.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Greetings from a cooler Bamberg,

Never needed or wanted AC in house or autos till moving to Atlanta, GA in 1990. Both house and two cars had AC there, an absolute must. Wouldn't be w/o now. Remember my youth when 80F was considered HOT.
That's the truth Paul! I always hated A/C in a car, even when I lived in the Mojave Desert In Cali. had it in the house and it was ok. I never used in the car though. When it was up in the 40° C range, I would just roll the 110 miles each day, back & forth to work with the windows down and the stereo blasting away in the Dodge Shadow. Only used the A/C in the car when the In-laws came to visit the first time. They weren't into the heat, coming from Berlin...

Great work from the sweatshop
Thanks my friend and I did kind of enjoy it. The big prob, when the Mojo is flying...

Ha!.... No Allen,not some Devonish slang.... Just me with finger trouble on the phone!
It was just "Rivet",but somehow it got changed :flushed:....
The hunt for the "Golden Rivet" is a Royal Navy jibe,which I can't really explain thoroughly on here!!;)
I understand Buddy. I hate my cell phone with sausage fingers too! I can't believe it, but are you building a Tigger II???...Gotta have a look..........

Glad to hear you haven't melted away completely me old mate. Sounds like a good excuse to drink some cold ones, purely for medicinal purposes you understand.
It actually was too hot to imbibe in a few cold ones Bro!!! I did drink the hell out of a lot of water though. I guess I'll have to drink a few extras tonight at Stammtisch, to catchup, of course...

Most excellent scratching of them springy things. And the flappy bits on the wings look great too.
All done in oven like temperatures - you're my kind of moggler.
Thanks Jim! I think the progress was worth it, even in the heat. I am so into this project, I can't stop...

When I went to bed on Tuesday night, it had cooled off outside to around 17° C. I opened every window in the apartment, including the 60 x 60 cm one in my bedroom. I set the fan in the bedroom doorway, facing the living room and turned it on to the Cyclone setting for the night. It definitely did the trick by sucking the cool air in, along with bugs, some birds and a couple of small children (parents were not amused)...It wasn't too hot yesterday, so my apartment was much cooler and work could continue at the table. Broke out some paint and and played with some motor parts,

IMG_3986.JPG
I'll give the springs a wash of alu for definition. I'm not too sure using 0.2 lead wire was a good idea for the spark plug cables. it is so soft and will be a beach to bend properly. If it doesn't work, I will make new rails and use brass wire instead. Afterwards, I finished painting the top on the motor in AK satin black...Moving on, I plugged the rear wing openings on the fusi,

IMG_3988.JPG
Dats right, I used some leftover 2 mm blue foam for the job. White glued it in place, from the backside. I will seal the front side areas with a dab of white glue too. While still on a roll, I threw some classic rock from "A Cat That Can't Hear" on the speakers and broke out some drill bits to make the flappy hinge holes,

IMG_3984.JPG
1 mm big holes and the sharp tip of an X-acto blade to cut/carve out the center pieces. One should always be aware and not put your finger under the holes while doing this activity. I was lucky and no blood was spilled in this process...Whew!!! When done,

IMG_3985.JPG
You have these and I have cleaned them up a bit. I now had to think about what to use for the (fake) hinges. While thinking, I grabbed the exhaust pipe piece to start cleaning it up,

IMG_3987.JPG
Oh, now isn't this just lovely!!! A damn crater in the pipe. Have to fix that as scratching a new one isn't worth it. Putty will have to do...I have done more, but I always forget to take pics!!!

Thanks for looking and all Abuse is welcome. My playing ketchup is also lagging sorely.....Sorry about that......................

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That exhaust is nuthin' you can't handle Allen, I used to spend a lot of time in the Mojave.....chasing trains when I was a model railroad nut! Rule #1......never go to the desert in the Summer!! :tongue-out3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ha!.... No Allen,not some Devonish slang.... Just me with finger trouble on the phone!
It was just "Rivet",but somehow it got changed :flushed:....
The hunt for the "Golden Rivet" is a Royal Navy jibe,which I can't really explain thoroughly on here!!;)
Oh go on!! I’m sure folk will be interested in the ‘golfer rivet’. :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Watching Dude .

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon from the Mole in Flanders,

Work continues as the weather has cooled and it's fun to play at the table once more.........

That exhaust is nuthin' you can't handle Allen, I used to spend a lot of time in the Mojave.....chasing trains when I was a model railroad nut! Rule #1......never go to the desert in the Summer!! :tongue-out3:
Your right Buddy, I big-blobbed it with putty and letting it dry for a couple of days. Once you are climatised, 40° - 50° C is a walk in the park Rick. It was dry heat and I enjoyed it...

Oh go on!! I’m sure folk will be interested in the ‘golfer rivet’. :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
Why did golfer appear?????
GOLDEN Rivet

It’s just down there - look!!!!:tongue-out3:
Hey Doug, I take it this golden rivet thing is a Navy joke on the Insel or something. I still haven't a clue.....................

Watching Dude .
Me too Brother!!! I have been extremely busy at the table of late and owe you a PM too. Have you figured it out yet??? Repair Shop??? Sorry, more later on John...

The saga continues folks. I slapped a big blob of Mr. White putty on the exhaust pipe and am letting dry for a few days. I love a product that's totally in Japanese, with no other language on the tube. I do hope it works...I also added the hinges for the flappies on the lower wings,

IMG_3999.JPG
I was going to frame the hinges on the flappy side, but I'm not sure how the naval hex camo decals from Lukgraph would settle down onto any small details. Damn!!! I forgot to order the stupid decals...Have to do that first thing Monday morning!!! BBF*......

Now it was time to show some love to the kit's Mercedes 160hp D.III motor. It is a very basic kit piece and had plenty of room for detailing. I also had a few motor parts left over from my WNW Halberstadt build. I carefully nipped off the rails with the spark plug wires and decided the best way to form them was to roll them gently with my 1.5 mm awl shaft. that worked very good and didn't flatten out the lead wire. I glued them in place and trimmed the wire ends to fit onto the spark plugs. I had painted them white beforehand. A dab of CA from a toothpick held them in place...All 12 times! I then painted the wires in my patented blue color and we had this,

IMG_3994.JPG
With that done, I went back and looked at some reference pics and saw I had forgotten to add the cooling pipe for the fuel carbs affair. Out with a piece of 0.6 mm lead wire, bent it L-shaped, painted it black, slid it into it's position, and CA'd it to the motor base,

IMG_3992.JPG
I formed the other end to the cylinder and glued the Intake assembly onto the motor,

IMG_3996.JPG
You can also see I glued the valve train assembly on the top end. I'm pretty happy with how the springs I made sit on the cylinder top sides, even if they aren't perfect,

IMG_3995.JPG
The other side,

IMG_3998.JPG
Once everything had dried, I looked at my references again and a couple of more things came to my attention. The 160 hp D.III motor had an external cooling pipe on the right side with a pipe going into each cylinder. Here's what I mean,

IMG_4003.JPG
I also saw that the 2 breather tubes on the upper motor block from my kit were too short. I modified the WNW part and added the cooling pipe to the motor,

IMG_4001.JPG
At this point, there was nothing I could do to lengthen the breather pipes (afraid I'd bust off other parts). I'll have to live with it...Or? Finally, I started working on the magnetos for the spark plugs. This was a double beatch as there are 2 of them.

IMG_4002.JPG
Sorry for the blurry pic, but I got the the 12 pieces of 9 mm long lead wire CA'd to each nub on them. Then comes the fun trying to form them and get them glued to the rail end on each side These will be painted blue too, and then the magnetos are attached to the tower with the wooden handle on the back of the motor (still to be glued on). A little magneto paint detailing and the motor should be finished...........How much will be seen once it's in the plane??? No idea, but it's there!!!...

Thanks again for looking in and it's now time for a cold one...Have a great weekend too!!!
*Big Brain Fart

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice progress Allen......keep it coming buddy. ;)

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Youngerthanme,
I see you are still working the magic on your build. Just had a catchup and enjoyed the build progress.
Cheers
Olderthanyou.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mr Dewire,
lovely jubbly it's those little details that sets your builds apart.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
The clean version of the origins of the 'Golden Rivet'
Gold Rivet
Of course there is a more vulgar version involving leaning over to look for the fabled Golden Rivet and sodomy. But I'll let your imaginations think on that one!!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The clean version of the origins of the 'Golden Rivet'
Gold Rivet
Of course there is a more vulgar version involving leaning over to look for the fabled Golden Rivet and sodomy. But I'll let your imaginations think on that one!!!
Tsk, tsk - you Boys in Blue certainly knew how to enjoy yourselves ... :cool:
Steve

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Afternoon from the Mole in Flanders,

Work continues as the weather has cooled and it's fun to play at the table once more.........

Your right Buddy, I big-blobbed it with putty and letting it dry for a couple of days. Once you are climatised, 40° - 50° C is a walk in the park Rick. It was dry heat and I enjoyed it...

Hey Doug, I take it this golden rivet thing is a Navy joke on the Insel or something. I still haven't a clue.....................

Me too Brother!!! I have been extremely busy at the table of late and owe you a PM too. Have you figured it out yet??? Repair Shop??? Sorry, more later on John...

The saga continues folks. I slapped a big blob of Mr. White putty on the exhaust pipe and am letting dry for a few days. I love a product that's totally in Japanese, with no other language on the tube. I do hope it works...I also added the hinges for the flappies on the lower wings,

View attachment 489313
I was going to frame the hinges on the flappy side, but I'm not sure how the naval hex camo decals from Lukgraph would settle down onto any small details. Damn!!! I forgot to order the stupid decals...Have to do that first thing Monday morning!!! BBF*......

Now it was time to show some love to the kit's Mercedes 160hp D.III motor. It is a very basic kit piece and had plenty of room for detailing. I also had a few motor parts left over from my WNW Halberstadt build. I carefully nipped off the rails with the spark plug wires and decided the best way to form them was to roll them gently with my 1.5 mm awl shaft. that worked very good and didn't flatten out the lead wire. I glued them in place and trimmed the wire ends to fit onto the spark plugs. I had painted them white beforehand. A dab of CA from a toothpick held them in place...All 12 times! I then painted the wires in my patented blue color and we had this,

View attachment 489319
With that done, I went back and looked at some reference pics and saw I had forgotten to add the cooling pipe for the fuel carbs affair. Out with a piece of 0.6 mm lead wire, bent it L-shaped, painted it black, slid it into it's position, and CA'd it to the motor base,

View attachment 489320
I formed the other end to the cylinder and glued the Intake assembly onto the motor,

View attachment 489321
You can also see I glued the valve train assembly on the top end. I'm pretty happy with how the springs I made sit on the cylinder top sides, even if they aren't perfect,

View attachment 489322
The other side,

View attachment 489323
Once everything had dried, I looked at my references again and a couple of more things came to my attention. The 160 hp D.III motor had an external cooling pipe on the right side with a pipe going into each cylinder. Here's what I mean,

View attachment 489324
I also saw that the 2 breather tubes on the upper motor block from my kit were too short. I modified the WNW part and added the cooling pipe to the motor,

View attachment 489325
At this point, there was nothing I could do to lengthen the breather pipes (afraid I'd bust off other parts). I'll have to live with it...Or? Finally, I started working on the magnetos for the spark plugs. This was a double beatch as there are 2 of them.

View attachment 489326
Sorry for the blurry pic, but I got the the 12 pieces of 9 mm long lead wire CA'd to each nub on them. Then comes the fun trying to form them and get them glued to the rail end on each side These will be painted blue too, and then the magnetos are attached to the tower with the wooden handle on the back of the motor (still to be glued on). A little magneto paint detailing and the motor should be finished...........How much will be seen once it's in the plane??? No idea, but it's there!!!...

Thanks again for looking in and it's now time for a cold one...Have a great weekend too!!!
*Big Brain Fart

Prost
Allen
Some incredible detail and work there Allen.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some really good work n display here.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Top work Dude 1.
Love the detailing you've achieved.
Repair shop, not yet, but new one fully working.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Mr D,
Been having a catch up around the place and see your back at it building/ rebuilding and generally improving stuff. Most impressive old chap….great to see the mojo flowing :cool:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Good People,

Grabbed a few hours at the table today and had a fun play on the Benz D.III...I also checked out Doug's link and now understand the rivet thing. Don't want to get into it any deeper though. We did the same to newbies in our unit, especially when we did maintenance on our tracks in the motor pool. Can't say much about Steve's iron drawers thing either....Now you 2 go and get me a can of squelch to fix my comms from the Motor Sgt!!!...Anyway,

Nice progress Allen......keep it coming buddy. ;)
Thanks Buddy! I'm giving it my all at the moment...

Hello Youngerthanme,
I see you are still working the magic on your build. Just had a catchup and enjoyed the build progress.
Cheers
Olderthanyou.
Prost Olderthanme! I'm trying and your scratchy ain't too shabby on the Sitar ding bumms track either Mike...

Mr Dewire,
lovely jubbly it's those little details that sets your builds apart.
Why thank you,, Mr. Scott! So of kind of you to say Bro!!! I'm having a blast too. How's the deuce and a half? I gotta ketchup with it...

Some incredible detail and work there Allen.
Much appreciated Doug! Can't wait to see what you do with your 'Bug' Sir...

Some really good work n display here.
Thanks Paul! It must be something about the Merc D.III motors that I enjoy souping up. Hope all is good in downtown Ohio my friend...

Top work Dude 1.
Love the detailing you've achieved.
Repair shop, not yet, but new one fully working.
Fully working? Great job Dude 2, but don't let the 1/1 work wear you out...And, I bet there is harmony at Race Towers now too!!!...

Morning Mr D,
Been having a catch up around the place and see your back at it building/ rebuilding and generally improving stuff. Most impressive old chap….great to see the mojo flowing :cool:
Hiya Mr. Benson. Nice to see you again Si and I hope you and the family are well and doing fine. It seems I've gone in a new direction with the floaty wing thingy's from the great war, as an aside. Thanks so much for the kind words my friend!!! So whatcha got on the bench, up in Sussex, New Jersey???...

Like I said, after breakfast I sat down and started working on the magnetos. Nipped them off the sprue and gently began to form the wires to fit to the rail end. Two of them managed to ping off, so a quick repair was in order. care was needed not to flatten any of them too! I then glued the tower in place, along with the magnetos on each side,

IMG_4004.JPG
That's the awl I use to help in the forming the lead wire. The other side,

IMG_4005.JPG
From above,

IMG_4007.JPG
Then I clipped the wire ends, gently folded them inward to the rails, doing the left side first. when it sat correctly, I hit it with a dab of CA. The right side took a bit more work as the wires had to bend over the cooling pipe, into the rail end. I broke out the paint and finished the job. The results,

IMG_4008.JPG
And,

IMG_4009.JPG
I very satisfied with my few hours work and it looks the part. Now I have to paint the rest of the lower motor with dull aluminum from AV to complete it. Once this has dried, I have to attempt to fit it, without damage, into the frame that goes in the fusil, when the time comes,

IMG_4010.JPG
Now it's back to the wing work and get them done. Email to Lukgraph in the morn with a few questions about the decals and to ask if he brings any Friedrichshafen FF.33 kits with him, to the show in October......

Short and sweet tonight. All C, C, and Abuse cheerfully accepted and have a great week!!!

Prost
Allen