1/32 Battle of Britain build part 2- Stuka! Trumpeter's Ju 87 b-2

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Paul, that cockpit is looking very good.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Andy, Ian, Dave and Joe

Should have some pics of a complete cockpit tomorrow

Cheers

Paul

First Name
Mike
I have a lot of admiration for modellers like yourself who'll do the research and take the time to correct a manufacturer's flaws (unlike me who'd either not buy the kit in the first place, or chicken out and build it from the box). It looks excellent so far, and even though it's not a scale/subject I'd be likely to build, I'll follow it closely and hope that some of your commitment/dedication wears off on me...

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Mike. I think I could have done with researching this project a little more though. I have scant info on the cockpit and for the most part have gone with 'making the office look busy' and trusting Eduard's PE and other builds. I'm still unsure as to whether the spent-cartridge bin is a rigid structure or a canvas bag, I've seen it modelled both ways. In the end I've painted it as a canvas bag with an internal frame. If you don't know what this is it can be seen to the rear of the cockpit and is a beige colour.

Anyhoo, here's the cockpit so far...

Please be aware that the wiring here is based loosely on a tech drawing I found but should not be taken as factual.

Disclaimer: Remember when rewiring your Stuka always use your approved local Junkers Ju87 dealership to ensure trouble-free dive bombing for years to come...

I've also detailed the gun bays which I'll probably close up but at least this gives me the option...

The fit of the wings here is a bit loose and required a thin fillet of plastic card to fill a small gap. I prefer doing this than using filler - it's a neater finish and is stronger. I also removed the starboard front walkway detail which is wrong.

Which brings me onto the next alt to the kit. There is a viewing window from the cockpit through to the underside of the aircraft which has a clear part both top and bottom. According to Simon on LSP this was actually a shutter on the B2 that was retracted to check the bomb has been loosed. The reason for this is that the viewing window would become covered in oil and grime from the engine and would be rendered useless. To rectify this the Germans installed a shutter system and dispensed with the lower window. Now I'm also informed that this shutter is a different shape to the kit , and judging by the example at Hendon (this system was carried over to the D type) it is, but I'm not going to worry about that. To go someways to rectifying this I'm simply going to paint the lower window with the rest of the lower fuselage, the top window stays as is and the internals get a coat of RLM02. Hope this makes sense...

And that's it for now, there may be a short break as I work commitments but hopefully I'll be back at the weekend with the cockpit finally finished and the fuselage buttoned up.

TTFN

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I'm still unsure as to whether the spent-cartridge bin is a rigid structure or a canvas bag, I've seen it modelled both ways.TTFN

Paul
It changed around the B-2 production from one to the other. I can't remember which way and I'm stuck in a studio in the middle of nowhere (it encourages us to actually do some work :smiling3: ). I might get a chance to check tomorrow morning.

Great work on that interior, it looks the dog's you know whats.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That cock pit looks the biz!

love the disclaimer by the way! lol

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The round bag attached to the underside of the gun was replaced by a chute and a large sack positioned under the gun. It was found that the original system made the gun hard to manoeuvre in combat.

The pictures I have of a B-2 show the later system but I don't know at what point the change was made.

Cheers

Steve

T

tommy1drop

Great work, the attention to detail is fantastic, looking forward to seeing more.

Tom

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers guys, the cockpit is almost there

The round bag attached to the underside of the gun was replaced by a chute and a large sack positioned under the gun. It was found that the original system made the gun hard to manoeuvre in combat.

The pictures I have of a B-2 show the later system but I don't know at what point the change was made.

Cheers

Steve
I think it's too late for this build but is there any chance of posting a pic for future ref?

As I understand it then I think I've depicted the system correctly with a large canvas sack (for a B2) supported by a metal internal frame. This would make logical sense as the aires cockpit set for the B2 shows this sack (it's hard to describe it as anything else but it isn't a soft shapeless thing, it is supported by a frame). I've seen some detailed builds of the 1/24 B2 Airfix kit with this arrangement and I'm pretty satisfied I've gone with the right choice, although given the time again I'd probably remodel it to more closely resemble a canvas covered frame.

Thanks for looking into this for me Steve.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just come across this

http://i-am-modelist.com/2013/05/22/ju-87-b-2/

Absolutely fabulous paper model!

K

Kressy_13

Nice work on the pit mate. Certainly looks busy and used. Nice stuff.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
WOW Paul,thats great work well done will keep watching this one

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Cheers guys, the cockpit is almost thereI think it's too late for this build but is there any chance of posting a pic for future ref?

As I understand it then I think I've depicted the system correctly with a large canvas sack (for a B2) supported by a metal internal frame. This would make logical sense as the aires cockpit set for the B2 shows this sack (it's hard to describe it as anything else but it isn't a soft shapeless thing, it is supported by a frame). I've seen some detailed builds of the 1/24 B2 Airfix kit with this arrangement and I'm pretty satisfied I've gone with the right choice, although given the time again I'd probably remodel it to more closely resemble a canvas covered frame.

Thanks for looking into this for me Steve.

Paul
I'm away for a couple of weeks at the moment, but the way you describe what you've done sounds right to me.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ole, Monica and Kresten thanks for your interest and the kind words.

Thanks Steve

The Stuka will almost certainly be finished by the time you get back but I may have some more questions to put to you with regards to Sturzkampfgeschwader and particular aircraft.

Fuselage and Wings joint

I've finally got the cockpit complete and closed up the fuselage. The final bits to go into the cockpit were: the pilot's footrests, ammo boxes for the MG15, various cockpit placards (from an airscale sheet), final knobs and switches from the Eduard etch and the gunsight.

PE pilot's footrests from RB productions

Finally a complete cockpit

Fuselage buttoned up...

Although this kit has had a lot of criticism in terms accuracy what cannot be faulted is the fit of parts. This is possibly the best fitting kit I've ever built (the hooked starboard wing was an exception and may have been my fault). The fit of fuselage to wings is unbelievable and could almost be done without glue!

Wing to fuselage joints...

That's it for today. Next up I'll be tackling that resin nose correction and the propeller fitting...

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: