1/32 F6F-5 Trumpeter 1/32 scale

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've managed to get some proper pictures, or as proper as I can manage. There seems to be a lot of blue!

Anyway, this is one of my virtual walkarounds.

The aircraft depicted was part of VF-29, embarked on USS Cabot (CVL-28) in early 1945.

PFQ.jpg

P.jpg

PRQ.jpg

SRQ.jpg

S.jpg

SFQ.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Steve a great build, yes there's a lot of blue but the blue looks good well done. :thumb2: What's next in the stash?

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
That's a very nice model Steve, lovely pictures! :thumb2:
Steven

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job Steve , the paint job and markings look perfect . The photos are great too , loving the carrier deck , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks all!

I'm not sure what's next Vaughan. I have a Tamiya P-51 which the Fuhrerin recently informed me was in one of 'her' wardrobes. I'd have to find a scheme that was not aluminium/natural metal and some decals to go with it. Alternatively I might build the contents of this box, which arrived this morning, courtesy of Graham at Iconocair.

IMG_2028.JPG

It's resin of course, hopefully a Supermarine Spiteful, to go with the Seafang I built a few years ago.

Cheers

Steve

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steve you made me laugh when I read the bit about what you call your SWMBO
the Fuhrerin recently informed me was in one of 'her' wardrobes.
Chris

• Haha
Reactions: JR

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm sure we all now how that works! I cram all my clothes into half a hanging space and some draws, all the rest, and the wardrobes in the spare room, are 'hers'. The kit was one I had completely forgotten about, bought for me by our girls several Xmas ago. I usually keep a very limited stash of a couple of kits in my den and I'm not sure how the 'Mustang' found its way into 'her' wardrobe. Maybe it disguised itself as a shoe box and slipped in unnoticed? If this coronabollocks continues I guess I'll be building it too :smiling3:

In other news, I was putting the new 'Hellcat' on a shelf next to the He 100 and was struck by the vast difference in size. The two models are in the same scale, and even given the vagaries of model manufacturer's scales it is striking. It is so striking that I took a picture of the two side by side. One from the 1930s (first flight of the He 112 was in 1935) and one from the 1940s (first flight June '42). Only 6/7 years, but what a difference.

Size.jpg

Cheers

Steve

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
COR you are right steve its nr twice the size an you say they are in the same scale
must be a migdet pilot to get into the german one then
chris

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
COR you are right steve its nr twice the size an you say they are in the same scale
must be a migdet pilot to get into the german one then
chris

I was once lucky enough to sit in the cockpit of a Bf 109, which is a little bit bigger overall than the Heinkel. I'm of average height and, I suppose, fairly heavily built, broad across the shoulders. It was a very, very, tight fit. My shoulders touched the sills on either side of the cockpit (making it very difficult to turn to look behind). I obviously was not wearing a parachute and neither was there any seat cushion, but when they closed the hood it was very claustrophobic, my head almost touched the top and the sides were just inches from my face. It is an experience I will never forget.

I know of some quite tall Germans who flew the 109. How they folded themselves into that cockpit I can only imagine!

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Wow just shows what a big beast the hellcat was

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Steve I presume your reference to coronabollocks was a joke? being in the shielding group I still have at least 6 weeks to go and then I'm at a greater risk when I evetually venture out its a scary time.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve I presume your reference to coronabollocks was a joke? being in the shielding group I still have at least 6 weeks to go and then I'm at a greater risk when I evetually venture out its a scary time.

Absolutely. I am not in anyway meaning to diminish the seriousness of the situation, nor do I think that we should be easing our restrictions while the 'R' rate is still very close to 1. We all have an obligation to follow the rules and protect everybody, particularly those who are vulnerable for one reason or another.

I just meant that it is making a complete, but necessary, bollocks of my life at the moment.

If you want to see what happens when we don't put people first, just watch what happens across the pond in a month or two.

Sorry for any confusion.

Stay safe, I'll certainly be doing my bit to keep everyone as safe as possible.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's cool Steve I totally see where your coming from.
My entire family work in the restaurant and hospitally business and all furlowed at present and are all uncertain if they will have a job to returned too. These are testing times. Looking forward to your next build.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice finish Steve. I thought the Hellcat was small, but that He112, well, what do I know !

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My entire family work in the restaurant and hospitally business and all furlowed at present and are all uncertain if they will have a job to returned too. These are testing times. Looking forward to your next build.

It is a worrying time, I understand how your family must feel.

I obviously depend on crowds, the larger the better, for my income! I have already written off this year. Though a couple of people I work with are still hoping to tour late in the year I don't think it is possible. All countries would have to be open again. You can't play ten shows in France, then take a week or so off when the gigs are cancelled in, say, Germany, before continuing in Spain. It's not economically viable. In the down time all the rentals (sound, lights, trucks, busses etc.) and personnel still have to be paid,, with no income to pay them.

I'm confident that my job will eventually come back, but I am planning for mid 2021, and that is what I am advising some of my younger colleagues. I'm okay, I can get by, and I am eligible for the government support for the self employed.

Looking on the bright side, I'm going to have plenty of time for building models, but first I may need to put up some extra shelves :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve just come across this, great photos against the sky.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps, it's always nice to hear that others appreciate your efforts :smiling3:

Steve