Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Steve that was simple enough... :smiling3:

Ian M

E

Edgar Brooks

Although references are somewhat sparse, it's likely that the Fighter Interception Unit flew unpainted Tempests against the V1s, since there's a remark, in their ORB, that they were awaiting delivery of unpainted Tempests from Hawker's. Eventually the FIU became 501 Squadron, and there's one photo of a n/m Tempest in several books.

One minor "error" is the layout of the seatbelts; while the Tempest was almost unique in not using the Sutton, but what was universally known as the "Q Type," the quick-release box was not attached to the shoulder strap (in the event of the pilot abandoning the aircraft, it would probably have smacked his ear as he left.) As far as I can tell, it was on the right thigh strap, where his right hand would have naturally fallen on it.

Edgar

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Edgar. The quick release box is incorrectly attached to the left shoulder strap in the P-E in the kit. It shouldn't be a great chore to shift it.

I'm aware that 501 Squadron had a few unpainted Tempests on the books for a while. Apparently they only went 5mph faster and in Mason's words, "were not widely adopted."

I toyed with a NMF version but have chickened out! I'm going for a No.3 Squadron example in full distinctive markings, sometime before they set off fro the continent. I haven't done "stripes" for a while :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've spent hours doing the minute photo etch! There is an option to stick some plastic bits in instead of this. Considering the small cockpit opening on a Tempest it's not a daft option.

This shot was taken on my phone as SWMBO has nicked the camera for the day!

I'll get a better shot when I start putting it all together.

Cheers

Steve

A

aacmckay

Definitely watching this one. One of my all time favorite aircraft! Looking great so far!

V

Vajled

looking very nice to build... and i'm not have any doubt that from your factory will exit another master piece...

watching it

Roman

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
looking very nice to build... and i'm not have any doubt that from your factory will exit another master piece...watching it

Roman
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm not getting as much time as I'd like at the moment. It is a project that will suddenly leap ahead once all the fiddly cockpit and other sub-assemblies (like the radiators and wheel wells) are done.

I had about an hour this morning and managed some of the pilot's harness.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was saying that larger scale models are often 3 or 4 models in one and this cockpit is a case in point.

I've not attached the rear frame (with seat attached) yet. It is just positioned for the piccies. If I attach it where it should be the front and back of the assembly, that is instrument panel and seat armour, don't fit quite right in the fuselage. I haven't yet figured out either what I've done wrong or exactly how to fix it. It is fixable, it is most important that it looks right once in the fuselage.

Here's the seat harness. It's photo etch and not great in my opinion! It's what's in the box and anyway I only have RB productions Luftwaffe belts in my cupboard.

I have already knocked up the radiator sub-assembly and the tail wheel assembly looks pretty straight forward. Once done I'll look at getting everything into the fuselage and closing it up, forever hiding all the little details!

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That cockpit does look very good Steve if the rest of the kit is anything to go by it should build into quite a stunner

T

tecdes

Very nice aircraft. Built a 1/72 Typoon the brother of Tempest & they both look what they are an unhealthy machine if you are the enemy.

During my youthful age about 6 saw a Tempest tip over a doodle bug over the Chessington area..

Laurie

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cockpit looks brilliant steve , what is it youre not happy with regarding the harness , is it the prominent stitching ? maybe a wash of the harness colour would fade it a little? cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
During my youthful age about 6 saw a Tempest tip over a doodle bug over the Chessington area..

Laurie
History alert!! :smiling3:

The first pilot to "tip" a V-1 was Flight Sergeant A.C.Drew flying a Tempest of No.56 Squadron, the third and final Tempest squadron to become part of the Newchurch wing. He did this having expended all his ammunition shooting down two other V-1s on 26th July (1944). Sadly he was killed three days later when he flew into the ground in low cloud.

The more usual method was to shoot down the bomb from directly astern. Squadron Leader Beamont had his cannon and later those of his entire wing, synchronised at a point 250 or 300 yards ahead of the aircraft, depending which account you read. This caused friction with 11 Group as it was unauthorised and not officially cleared but Beamont literally stuck to his guns. He was proven correct by the outstanding success that he (credited with 30) and his pilots (500 in July) enjoyed.

There were other instances of "tipping" or "toppling" V-1s. There is a famous rather grainy image of a Spitfire doing just that.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
what is it youre not happy with regarding the harness , is it the prominent stitching ? maybe a wash of the harness colour would fade it a little? cheers tony
Good idea Tony, I might just do that. I was going to matt it down a bit anyway. The stitching is OTT and it's a bit shiny, not as realistic as the RB paper ones I usually use.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
History alert!! :smiling3: The first pilot to "tip" a V-1 was Flight Sergeant A.C.Drew flying a Tempest of No.56 Squadron, the third and final Tempest squadron to become part of the Newchurch wing. He did this having expended all his ammunition shooting down two other V-1s on 26th July (1944). Sadly he was killed three days later when he flew into the ground in low cloud.

The more usual method was to shoot down the bomb from directly astern. Squadron Leader Beamont had his cannon and later those of his entire wing, synchronised at a point 250 or 300 yards ahead of the aircraft, depending which account you read. This caused friction with 11 Group as it was unauthorised and not officially cleared but Beamont literally stuck to his guns. He was proven correct by the outstanding success that he (credited with 30) and his pilots (500 in July) enjoyed.

There were other instances of "tipping" or "toppling" V-1s. There is a famous rather grainy image of a Spitfire doing just that.

Cheers

Steve
Indeed the first 'kill' for a meteor was just such a thing , FO Dean tipping over a V1 after his cannons jammed .It wasnt really condoned ,in fact Dean got a rollocking for causing slight damage to the wingtip of his meteor. tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
He did well! The Meteor achieved little success against the V-1s. The Welland turbojets were so puny that the Meteor lacked acceleration, a problem with all early jets. Beaman actually assessed a Meteor I belonging to No. 616 Squadron to see how it compared with the Tempest V in this role. His typically succinct verdict was that "it was not much good."

Jets were faster but the Tempest was the fastest piston engine fighter by a margin. On 3rd July '44 , flying with 150 grade fuel and 11lb boost, Beamont achieved 415 mph at 500 feet in a Tempest. The V-1 typically flew at 380-420 mph at altitudes up to 5,000 ft. The Tempest enjoyed a significant speed advantage over them.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've fixed the three sub-assemblies (cockpit, radiators, tail wheel well) to one side of the fuselage and taped the other side in position while they dry. For non habitual aircraft modellers this is a good tip. Many kits call for the sub assemblies to be attached to one fuselage half, the other half being attached later. If you don't temporarily position the two halves together you may end up with alignment issues when you eventually attempt to close everything up.

I won't beat about the bush, this was a proper jostle. Being a limited run kit there are minimal locating pins and some that should be there are so badly moulded I cut them off anyway. The only bit that slotted right intro position was the tail wheel well. The rest were very vague and needed a lot of fiddling, checking with both halves of the fuselage, more fiddling, more checking .....you get the picture!

Anyway, the result of all that is that all that painstakingly attached photo-etch and cockpit framework is now invisible, or will be when I eventually, permanently, join the two fuselage halves :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve