1/48 Airfix Spitfire PR.XIX

First Name
Jason
Morning All,

Not much modelling has been going on lately at Wendall Towers. Life has been getting in the way a little. I needed to do something quick to restore the ol' Mojo. So when in doubt, break a Spitfire out.

Started middle of last week and finished off last night here she is. Depicting PS888 of 81 sqn on the ground, fresh from her last operational fight April 1st 1954 at RAF Seletar, Singapore.

The kit is very nice. Not as refined as the newest MK.V and I offerings from Airfix but still very good. The weak points in my kit were the canopies. These had some pretty bad depressions which required some fairly serious sanding and polishing. After a double dipping in Klear they are OK, not perfect but hey ho.

Good detail in the cockpit including the additional oxygen cylinders carried by high altitude Spitfires, and the pressurised bulkheads at the front and rear of the cockpit. No instrument panel decal though?! So that was just painted. The only addition to the box contents was an Eduard late WWII seat belt.

Here are some pics before it was buttoned up.

View attachment 120558

View attachment 120559

View attachment 120560

You might be able to make out my attempt at recreating the grain on the plywood panel at the rear of the camera compartment. Not sure if that is accurate but it looks more interesting than more Interior Green.

And here she is complete. Not much weathering here, Just a UMP dark dirt panel line wash, some chipping in a lighter tone of the base colour and some exhaust staining. Clean but operational was the look I was going for!!

Painted in Tamiya Med Sea Grey and Xtracrylic PRU Blue. I had a few problems with the blue when I applied the clear coat. It randomly started to turn white in different places. After a bit of headscratching I lightly sprayed a coat of heavily thinned clear, almost 70% thinner! Behold it disappeared and doesn't look too shabby now.

View attachment 120561

View attachment 120562

View attachment 120563

View attachment 120564

View attachment 120565

View attachment 120566

Thanks for looking

Jason

CSC_0734.JPG

CSC_0735.JPG

CSC_0736.JPG

CSC_0791.JPG

CSC_0792.JPG

CSC_0793.JPG

CSC_0794.JPG

CSC_0795.JPG

CSC_0796.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Doug Hughes

Nice subject, scheme and build. Well done Jason. Just a week to finish it - that's going some!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice Jason,don,t think i have seen one done like that,great job, ;)

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I always like to see a good spit and thats nice i know i can build quick but that beats even me

First Name
Jason
Thanks for the great comments. I love these Airfix Spitfires, so nice to build, no need to mess around with PE or resin. Just shake and bake, the way it was when I was a kid. They really are a joy.

Jason

L

Laurie

Very nice model Jason

Just out of the factory with a few hours on the clock

not over done Some very nice technical work to

achieve your result

Laurie