1/48 Hasegawa Corsair

T

treyzx10r

I need something to build while waiting for parts to arrive for the P-40 so dug this out of the stash. Apart from raised panel lines and some accuracy issues here and there its a good kit. Going to dress it up with some a/m goodies and fold one wing.

Instead of starting in the office I decided to get the wings out of the way. Lots of surgery on both sides to be done ! Gun bays in the port wing will be the first mission. The p/e is very nice and not so hard that its difficult to get of the sprue. The folding tool is paying for itself with every build,really is one of the best tools I've bought over the years

The parts almost ready for final assembly

The wing panels need to be cut out without damaging the surrounding surface. I used Dymo tape for 2 reasons ,it will protect the adjacent plastic and is thick & stiff enough to guide the cutting blade. I also want to save the cut out for a mask later in the build to protect the gun bay from overspray

Gun bay in place with some thick ca glue.

Up next the right wing folding assembly and replacing the flaps. Cheers Trey

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Trey

With all that PE this looks like quite an involved build and not simply a stop gap build. The gun bay looks great in the wing and I think this is going to build into a really detailed model.

Looking forward to the progress.

Cheers

Paul

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great with all that added PE,nice work Trey ;)

two things ?

what type of glue is used, I know you said pa glue ? but whats that plz,

and also what did you use to cut out the panel as its so neat, ?

maybe silly questions, :rolleyes:

T

treyzx10r

Paul thanks,it really does need to be more of a stop gap, its going to be a while before I sort the landing gear on the P-40!

Monica not a silly couple of questions at all. First the glue is Cyanoacrylate aka 'super glue' and it comes in different thickness. Thinner which is like water is almost instant and gives you no time at all to move the parts once applied. The thick or medium is what I prefer as it allows you a few seconds to move the part if placed incorrectly. For cutting the plastic cleanly I use the very edge of a fresh Razor saw ,just drawn lightly over the the surface until it cuts through.

Theuns thanks , for doing PE this tool is a life saver!

Ian ,Joe thank you both!

For display purpose of the open gun bays I'm leaving that wing lowered. I did get the folding wing cut and starting to install the P/E and fold mechanism,geez what have I got myself into?

C

Caledonia

Some real 'heart-in-mouth' moments their Trey, you want to take it easy for the next one and try brain surgery. Great work my friend. Derek

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Derek!

More surgery this time for the Engine cowl flaps. I had to remove enough material for them to fit yet leave enough for a glue point on the curve.

After rolling the cowls on a mandril they fit pretty good

I forgot to take pics of the office before I sealed it in the fuse,sorry. Office got some pe sides, a resin seat/floor and Ip with the guages printed on a seperate sheet that went behind.

The flaps removed from the port wings

Wings joined up to the fuse. One side effect of cutting away the flaps allowed me to spread the wings at the root for a filler free fit!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Super work Trey, those cowl flaps look great. And good idea removing the flaps for the fit.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Joe appreciate that!

The basic surgery done I'm now fine tuning the fit of the flaps and cleaning up the join areas

Pe detail on the sides of the flap will be added before they get mounted

D

dubster72

This is clever stuff Trey! You must have steady hands to manage all that cutting ;) I'd have made a hash of it by now!

T

treyzx10r

Polux thank you!

Patrick thanks ,my hands shake like crazy! I geuss thay shake in tandem tho;)

Pe added to the flaps

I used a scap piece of plastic cut at the right deflection angle as a jig to set the flaps evenly

On to the gun sight,the stock offering is some what lacking in detail

Pe and resin in the upgrade is a big improvement and not that hard to whip into shape

after a little paint

I'll tackle the Canopy next

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
There's a lot of work going into this one Trey ,looking forward to further posts.

N

noble

This is looking cool so far, you certainly have more patience with pe parts than I do.

Scott

T

treyzx10r

Steve, Vaughan, Ian, Scott, Joe thank you all for the kind remarks!

Tackled the Canopy ,after anealing the metal it was a lot easier to bend into place. I did manage to get debonder on the plastic and it fogged it bad so I had to wet sand it out.

Then buff it out

I forgot the seat belts !

Canopy secured

Masked

Finished the pe on the gun ports and had to fill some seams,now ready for some paint!