1/48 IAR-80 (Romanian Air Force)

B

BigZimmo

Hi mates!!
News from my assembly line: it's HobbyBoss' IAR-80 in 1/48 scale.
A nice kit, only the decals tend to tear easily. Colors from Vallejo, Revell and Gunze.

The IAR 80 was a Romanian World War II low-wing monoplane, all-metal monocoque fighter and ground-attack aircraft. When it first flew, in 1939, it was comparable to contemporary designs such as the German Messerschmitt Bf 109B, the British Hawker Hurricane Mk.I, and the American Curtiss P-40B/Tomahawk Mk.I and superior to the Dutch Fokker D.XXI and Polish PZL P.24. Production problems and lack of available armament delayed entry of the IAR 80 into service until 1941. It remained in frontline use until May 1945.

Cheers
Stefan :smiling3:

IAR 01.jpg IAR 02.jpg IAR 03.jpg IAR 04.jpg IAR 05.jpg IAR 06.jpg IAR 07.jpg IAR 08.jpg IAR 09.jpg IAR 10.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Outstanding work Stefan, on a aircraft I've never seen built before, and I really like the base/diorama you've put it on.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent work stefan , as ian says its not often seen modelled. Its a great aircraft , very interesting and a pity it couldnt have been developed better and earlier , it would have been a very formidable foe! I didnt even know hobby boss had done one in 1/48 , up till now weve only had limited run stuff or the hard to find mpm version. I might have to get one of these. Cheers tony

B

BigZimmo

Thanks, mates. I'm pleased that you like my IAR-80!!!:smiling3:
By the way...here comes a picture of my little "Photostudio" and the diorama is one of my standard bases for photography. This was once a wooden serving dish from IKEA......:D

:smiling3:

Display 01.jpg Fotobox.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Another stunning result Stefan. Not seen this type before, it looks a bit like a FW190. Great photographs as usual, nice to see the studio set up.

N

norm

Lovely looking aircraft, and glad to hear it was a good kit, would love to get one of these myself.

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Awesome looking aircraft build! I very much like the subtle weathering you did to make it look used but maintained.

I love the colours of the Romanian air force, and the fact that the shape is so distinguishable from other well-known aircraft of the time (that I am aware of).

Could certainly be tempted to use it for Bolt Action wargaming, which is in 1/56 scale. Did a Spitfire Mk. Vb as my first ever aircraft build, Tamiya 1/48, about two weeks ago, and the pilot happened to have the same height as a soldier from the makers of the BA game. So something like this from Hobby Boss also in 1/48 scale seems very interesting.

Was there a sitting pilot included with the kit?

B

BigZimmo

Thanks for your comments, mates!!

Christian, the kit comes without pilot or another figure.

:smiling3: