1/72 Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MkVb

First Name
Aaron
I chuckled to myself when I read the first post to this thread bro, I went out last week and got me an Airfix Sherman for the same reason you built this beauty. I like your masking technique on the camo, should be viable for Armour too? Top build mate.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks for all your comments guys, much appreciated. Good luck with the Sherman Aaron, look forward to seeing it in due course.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Great job Joe.How did you get the canopy looking so clear? I'm sure I had to perform some radical surgery on the pilot to make it fit over his head!

I'm assuming that this is essentially the same kit that used to come in the plastic bag, 2s 6d from Dalliwells, when I was a lad. It cost just a bit more than my 2 bob a week pocket money, but I could usually get the extra sixpence from my grand dad! I had several hanging from the ceiling as my brother and I had entire air forces of really badly made models hanging in our bedroom. Many of the Germans trailed totally unconvincing cotton wool smoke. I can confirm that the plastic won't stand up to a .177 air rifle pellet:smiling3:

Yours is in a rather different category to those, it shows what can be done with one of these lovely old kits.

Cheers

Steve
As Mike suggested Steve, I think you were referring to the shockingly simple and very old Spitfire IX JE-J which has been replaced. However if you fit the pilot in the incorrect position the canopy will not fit over his head. As for clarity, I polished the canopy with a dab of automotive scratch remover (McGuires Scratch X). I find it works very well. The parts themselves were very nicely moulded anyway. This particular kit continues to endure the test of time.